Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Warning 696 Drivers: Bridge Jumper

Some dude has been standing on one of the Dequinder area bridges on I-696 since around 11am. The freeway is closed in both directions from I-75 to Van Dyke.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19384332/detail.html

12 mile is bumper to bumper. 10 mile is not much better as an alternate route

That's right by my house too. A coworker told me there was one on 275 in Canton last week.

lilpup Guest

From what I read he's on the pedestrian bridge between Ryan Road and the westbound 11 Mile exit [[entrance from 11 Mile going eastbound). I-696 is closed from Van Dyke to I-75.

Just do it already.

JUMP!!

Is there a link to a story that actually says something about a jumper? That link does not. Did they remove it when they updated at 3:27?

lilpup Guest

http://freep.com/article/20090506/CO...n+closes+I-696

The MDOT camera stream the image is from is now unavailable online.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Just do it already.

JUMP!!
    Don't know for sure, and can't prove it but with these times it could be part of this newly created word I've been hearing

Econon-cide

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Don't know for sure, and can't prove it but with these times it could be part of this newly created word I've been hearing

Econon-cide
    According to the Warren Police, the guy is wanted in a domestic violence case. does not appear to be directly economicide related

http://freep.com/article/20090506/CO...n+closes+I-696

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    From what I read he's on the pedestrian bridge between Ryan Road and the westbound 11 Mile exit [[entrance from 11 Mile going eastbound). I-696 is closed from Van Dyke to I-75.
    A high school kid jumped off that same bridge about 4 or 5 years ago and landed in the middle of traffic

Retroit Guest

Taser the S.O.B.!

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Taser the S.O.B.!
    With the results we have been getting with that lately he probably would have a better chance jumping

So this begs the question: How long is too long to wait for a jumper to either jump or get off the bridge? it's now 7:25pm, and the guy has been on the bridge and closing the freeway for approx 8 hours now.

7:39 pm the freeway was open when I headed west...thank God! Haha, it took me an hour to go eastbound from 696 and dequindre to St Clair Shores, around 12:30 pm.

Anyone know what happened to the Jumper?

Taken to an unnamed mental facility according to Warren PD. All's well that ends well, I guess.

Dave, you have impeccable timing. the freeway was reopened at 7:30. here's the rest of the story

http://freep.com/article/20090506/CO...Warren+reopens

DetroitDad Guest

Cry me a river, these type of people are the reason I can't walk across the Ambassador Bridge anymore. I'd show more sympathy, except they really appear to be going after media attention, and are not your typical cry for help.

Exactly why couldn't they have hit him with a tranquilizer dart gun at 11:08 this morning?

This would not stand in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post
    Exactly why couldn't they have hit him with a tranquilizer dart gun at 11:08 this morning?
    because, if the person jumps, an attorney figures out why the city owes 2.2M.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post

This would not stand in Singapore
    Because he was on the outside of the fencing on the pedestrian overpass and likely would have fallen. Free Press article has a photo.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009050...Warren+reopens

LodgeDodger Guest

Jeez, people! Have a heart.

OK.....so put a net under the bridge [[like you used to see in the old movies when a house was on fire).

Then taser the son-of-a-bitch! Traffic is shut down for 8 hours for this wacko? Crazy.

What a selfish asshole.

I bet he get's off on the domestic violence charge now though.

The linked article states the the suicidal man was despondent about losing his job. But why do some people decide to try to end their lives publicly and dramatically, and risk involving innocent people in their attempts, in this case also perhaps young children witnessing his jump in a nearby vehicle or maybe even inside a vehicle that might inadvertently hit or run over him while he is lying dead or dying on the road? .
    Last edited by Flanders; May-06-09 at 10:40 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    The linked article states the the suicidal man was despondent about losing his job. But why do some people decide to try to end their lives publicly and dramatically, and risk involving innocent people in their attempts, in this case also perhaps young children witnessing his jump in a nearby vehicle or maybe even inside a vehicle that might inadvertently hit or run over him while he is lying dead or dying on the road?
    Different meanings get attached to individual acts but public suicides carry a message, often of feeling powerless or abandoned. I remember hearing a survivor of a Golden Gate jump saying that he had decided that if a single person stopped to talk to him on the bridge that day or tried to intervene at all he wouldn't have jumped, but no one did.

found this article online yesterday, too

My sister-in-law is a dispatcher for the Warren P.D. I will have to ask her if there is a guideline they go by in relation to the length of time they allow on something like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast