Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    As long they don't mix blunt wraps with Mike & Ike's, it's okay with me.
    Mike & Ike's get alot of resin build up. It's a bitch.

Yea, Detroit needs every cent it can get. Hll, open a few more strip clubs too

DetroitDad Guest

This location is capitalizing on the residents near Woodward, as well as the popular transit stand directly in front of it.

Can somebody show me evidence that liquor stores create crime? Especially liquor stores in such well-lit, well-traveled areas? Come on ....

checkraisej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Can somebody show me evidence that liquor stores create crime? Especially liquor stores in such well-lit, well-traveled areas? Come on ....
    No, you'll just have to their word for it. You will also just have to trust in the fact that liquor store workers are minimum wage making sexual harassement victims.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Liquor Stores And Crime

A Resident's Persepctive

Do liquor stores and alcohol selling venues affect crime? This is not an either/or answer. Liquor stores as grocery stores may have several positive affects like promoting foot traffic for other businesses, as well as tax dollars to keep other types of blight or undesirable activities away. However, studies have shown that liquor stores, as well as night clubs and bars do affect crime rates, and can contribute to a rise in crime rates. Beyond that, this is not an either or scenario, rather it is a sliding scale based on pros and cons. Hours of operation and socio economic areas play a huge role [[is crime a problem now? IS the area low income?).[1]

Being a married father who lives Downtown, and will live near this liquor store for a while, I can say it really depends on the store. I say let them in, but you can bet your bottom dollar that Detroit Mom and I will be watching this place like a hawk, and that we will be a very noisy wheel in the police station and city hall if any place Downtown becomes a threat to our family or community.

Last edited by DetroitDad; November-21-10 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Source added

Jesus christ. Who cares about a liquor store on the main street of downtown? What you're probably REALLY upset about is the lack of OTHER businesses. And if you ARE upset about a liquor store downtown, you need to widen your gaze a little. There's something much more worth getting upset about just beyond your peripheral vision ...
    There's other busineses around there, let's not forget the wig stores, hair braiding places and beauty salons.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    There's other busineses around there, let's not forget the wig stores, hair braiding places and beauty salons.
    Can you list the wig stores, hair braiding places and beauty salons in that area or are you just making asinine generalizations?

Don't blame City Council or Pres Pugh for this insult to Downtown Detroit. The Board of Zoning Appeals permitted this placement and at least two members of that board are up for re-appointment and will probably not be re-appointed in whole or in part because of that decision.

Charles Pugh was livid and really challenged Marvin Beatty, who has been on the BZA for quite a while, for his vote in favor of placing that store at that location.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There is a certain elected board that allows these stores to open in the city. Members of this board are elected during the Mayor's and council's election. Maybe the presidential election. That is why no one knows who they are but vote them in anyway. They could also be easily paid off without much fanfare unlike a Conyers or Kilpatrick.
    Is this sarcasm? What are you talking about?

A question from someone not familiar with MI laws. How lax is enforcement? Can some drunk just walk in and get more liquor or does he have to be sober? If others are caught buying for him, could they get into trouble?

What other stores are lining up to go into Merchants Row? The majority of places that were there are closed now except the bail bonds store that has the old country theme to it and Woodhouse spa. The shoe store is closing and the majority of store fronts smell like human waste along with the plenty of people loitering around, especially near CVS. The fact that anything is opening up on that strip is should be appluaded considering most of "Merchants Row" is empty and looks like hell. Besides we downtowners like booze too and the store on Broadway is a rip off, hopefully a little competition brings prices down!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Can you list the wig stores, hair braiding places and beauty salons in that area or are you just making asinine generalizations?
    Sure, I'll head right down there now and put a list together for you.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    It's 1/2 block away from another liquor store and perhaps 200 feet from the entrance to St. Mary's Church. Isn't there something in the zoning laws that a church that close has to sign off on it? If so, it's too bad St. Mary's didn't stop it.
    Why would they stop it? It gives the Priests and Nuns a closer place to get their booze.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Sure, I'll head right down there now and put a list together for you.
    Just admit you were exagerating/talking out of your ass and move along

Just admit you were exagerating/talking out of your ass and move along
    Wouldn't it be far quicker for you to list all the thriving retail establishments that aren't wig and hair braiding establishments on woodward?

Wouldn't the solution to this problem be to simply not shop there?

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Wouldn't it be far quicker for you to list all the thriving retail establishments that aren't wig and hair braiding establishments on woodward?
    Nowhere did I say that the area was thriving with business. I took exception to the bs generalization that the area is flooded with wig and hair braiding places and beauty shops.

The area is struggling for any retail [[and I am fine with pretty much anything being put there). That doesn't change the fact that the post I responded to was not rooted in fact. Hell, if it was filled with the establishments that RTL listed it would have many more places open than currently.

For the record, the overabundance of convenience stores [[one on State and Griswold, one on State and Washington, one on Grand River and Griswold and one on Griswold between State and Grand River) does not indicate alcohol availability on that side of Woodward. None of these carry liquor or beer. As mentioned previously, the closest liquor stores are in Greektown, on Cadillac Square and on Broadway. As a resident of Capitol Park, I would appreciate a liquor store in the proposed location but only if it is open til late-ish.

A really nice liquor store that sells all the brands, and the
    specialty packages with glasses, etc. I hate having to drive
    out to Livonia or Dearborn to find the interesting stuff and gift
    packages.?????

The name of the Liquor Store is called JAZZ. It will be on Woodward Business Corridor between E. Grand River Ave. and John R. Rd. where on the JB and Foot Locker Shoes used to be at. If Dowtown Detroit wants to get back on its feet for regional business, it had to start with local businesses.

Dabirch Guest

Nowhere did I say that the area was thriving with business. I took exception to the bs generalization that the area is flooded with wig and hair braiding places and beauty shops.

The area is struggling for any retail [[and I am fine with pretty much anything being put there). That doesn't change the fact that the post I responded to was not rooted in fact. Hell, if it was filled with the establishments that RTL listed it would have many more places open than currently.
    Wow - a JT1/Ndavies battle - this is kicking it ol' skool...

how can the zoning board be addressed in the charter commission, to address more diverse businesses downtown and elsewhere, and not the typical liquor and check-cashing places..

To my knowledge, I know of no ban on a certain type of business. I believe under Archer they prohibited any new pawn shop licenses within the boulevard, and I think that's about all they can do.

But I think a lot of you who are opposed to liquor stores, check-cashing places, etc. simply are irrational. You can't pass a law that only upscale boutiques and spas and fine dining restaurants should locate in a certain place. You offer the services people want and you attract the types of people who want a better class of businesses. You cannot create a new Ann Arbor or Novi by outlawing everything that upsets you, you do realize ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    Wow - a JT1/Ndavies battle - this is kicking it ol' skool...
    I honestly don't recall getting in past battles with NDavies - I typically 1`agree with him

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast