Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Unfortunately we can't speak of long term in Vlady's case because of the tragedy. I think in this instance you throw away the normal requirements and put him up there. His number will never be used so why not. And I will remember him in 20 years, he was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Unfortunately we can't speak of long term in Vlady's case because of the tragedy. I think in this instance you throw away the normal requirements and put him up there. His number will never be used so why not. And I will remember him in 20 years, he was amazing.
    We get it. He's a fan fave but then so were guys like Bob Probert, Joey Kocur, Dino Ciccarelli and a handful of others. Think about all of the players prior to that you never saw play personally that were fan favorites that will never get their numbers retired. Just because a guy makes a handful of highlight reels [[and I'm not knocking his accomplishments here at all), sooner or later the team will run out of numbers retiring fan favorites if that's the case. I don't think we ever want to get the point of where we have to un-retire numbers or start going to three digits on the backs of jerseys.

It's respectful and honor enough that the team not use his number for other players.

I agree with Smogboy: "It's respectful and honor enough that the team not use his number for other players. "
    Last edited by Oldpuck; November-22-10 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Post was incomplete