Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Building next to Bleu - stunning development!

Breaking news, the building next to Bleu is actually BEING MAINTAINED!
    Yes, I was as surprised as you are right now. There is a crane that is holding one or two guys that are actually sanding and repointing the brickwork on the rear of the building [[the side next to the Metropolitan)!

I took a look out the back of the building where I work and saw the action. I don't even know the name of the building, but I'm kinda proud of the owners that they seem to be spending money on their tenant-less building. Nice job, fellas!

Whoooooaaaaaaaa, DUDE. What can we expect next?

Thanks for the pics DetroitScooter... I don't remember what the front of the building looks like though...

Also, notice the very long cherry-picker. The new theatre manager of the Fillmore [[State) Theatre is using one of those inside the Fillmore to finish restoring the auditorium and grand foyer. Rather than using regular [[time consuming) scaffolding.... a cherry picker that long will allow piecemeal work to continue on the Fillmore restoration, without disrupting regular shows at the theatre. A win-win situation for the LiveNations folks who run the Fillmore, and building owner Chuck Forbes, who used to require theatre downtime for restoration work.

Here's the front of the buildings and the DDA sign that explains it all. There were out there at 7:30 this morning, and that's pretty cool. Their vehicles are parked on the sidewalk in front of the Broderick and one says "JC Beal Demolition Services" and I damn near choked.

The sign:
    1528 Woodward:
    Back of 1528:
    1520 Woodward:

Ahhh, the old Lane Bryant and UF buildings. Couldn't figure out which buildings these were from the back.

Nice looking building!
    I remember the first time I went to Bleu. First time in one of those crazy downtown bars actually. It was when Woodward was like a deserted street of Berlin after the war and here was this crazy club. Glad to see things are slowly changing.

Here's some info on that project:

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...ckers-of-Hope/

Good to see that it's under way, and on time.

Quote Originally Posted by mkurlyandchik View Post
    Here's some info on that project:

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...ckers-of-Hope/

Good to see that it's under way, and on time.
    The real hope for this project should be to highlight buildings as investment opportunities. There is a real demand for residential space downtown, and many of these buildings would be great investments at the right price. If these properties are city-owned, the city really needs to look at getting 'em off their books and into the hands of developers who are ready, willing, and able to put more residential space on the market. As it stands, most places downtown are at or near capacity and prices are already starting to rise. Time to free up more units.
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-18-10 at 08:21 PM.

1520 Woodward is my dream to own [[and of course actually do something with)...sigh...

DetroitDad Guest

Interesting side note, the tile work of that first building [[UA, someone called it) has an almost identical stunning blue tile work in it's entry way, similar to the abandoned Quo Vadis Theater, in Westland

http://detroityes.com/webisodes/2009...uoVadis/04.htm

Last edited by DetroitDad; November-21-10 at 08:42 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    1520 Woodward is my dream to own [[and of course actually do something with)...sigh...
    I dream of renting space from you!

What's stopping you? Maybe I'll see you at an Open City meeting, or the DY picnic on Memorial Day, and we can talk. Shoot me a message some time.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I dream of renting space from you!

What's stopping you? Maybe I'll see you at an Open City meeting, or the DY picnic on Memorial Day, and we can talk. Shoot me a message some time.
    DetroitDad, I would own it and use it...lol so no room for you!

I have my own plan, which can be found at the "Share Your Dream Project" thread.

Someone please tell me... how is this different from say..... putting awnings on the former Statler??

Granted, I'm in favor of this project... but this more trying to make it marketable... rather than an actual rehab.... so it's awning Deja Vu all over again!

what is going to be done with this building? condos?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Someone please tell me... how is this different from say..... putting awnings on the former Statler??

Granted, I'm in favor of this project... but this more trying to make it marketable... rather than an actual rehab.... so it's awning Deja Vu all over again!
    I was walking down lower Woodward at around 11 PM last night.... ghost town- literally, nobody in sight in either direction- newspapers blowing in the wind like an old western movie. I think putting lights in some of these buildings to make it look like someone actually lives there is a good thing to do. Because despite being desolate, lower Woodward looked pretty good with all the lights on the trees and such. The city can be so eerie at night or early morning when there isn't another soul around. Being downtown sometimes feels like I am living in a time of life after people. My buddy who moved into one of the lofts over there says this: "It's not scary, but you walk out... and there's nobody... you have all of these really cool buildings, just... empty.... There's really something wrong with the psyche of people in Metro Detroit."
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-22-10 at 03:37 PM.

There are so many good quality buildings that it is really pick and choose for developers with the proper resources to promote these spaces. It will be interesting to see how downtown and midtown pick up when the streetrail develops and businesses happen on street level. Really when you think about it the quality of these sectors is very high as opposed to many boomtowns of the past 40 years, I believe the quality of life issues that make northern cities attractive will help Detroit come back when suburban folks with money start investing in condos etc...

DetroitDad Guest

I believe these buildings are owned by the City of Detroit.