Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    A snitch, on the other hand, is a criminal who gets caught committing a crime, and in order to alleviate their punishment or have their crime excused, tells on someone else that has committed a crime.
    This is true, but snitching does not guarantee a pardon or a reduced sentence. A good example of this is the case of WBR. His cooperation with the FBI lead to numerous convictions, including those of police officers. As a result of his cooperation with the Federal Government, WBR received a life sentence, some of which was even served in a Federal prison.

So, for those of you that are advocating for more snitches. What you're unknowingly advocating for are more criminals. What you really want are more witnesses.
    A criminal is a criminal prior to snitching. Snitching does not make someone a criminal. For large scale criminal operations, such as the ones WBR was involved in, snitches are much more important than witnesses. A witness observes and makes complaints; a snitch is involved intimately in the logistics of criminal enterprises. A snitch's cooperation can topple entire criminal empires.

I agree with you that we need more witnesses, but we need them to come forward on smaller crimes, such as scrapping and vandalism. I would argue that we need more snitches, i.e. criminals, involved in organized crime to finger as many of their accomplices as possible.

What! give that DRUG DEALER thief, tramp and murderer a chance. Let's pray about it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    This is true, but snitching does not guarantee a pardon or a reduced sentence. A good example of this is the case of WBR. His cooperation with the FBI lead to numerous convictions, including those of police officers. As a result of his cooperation with the Federal Government, WBR received a life sentence, some of which was even served in a Federal prison.

A criminal is a criminal prior to snitching. Snitching does not make someone a criminal. For large scale criminal operations, such as the ones WBR was involved in, snitches are much more important than witnesses. A witness observes and makes complaints; a snitch is involved intimately in the logistics of criminal enterprises. A snitch's cooperation can topple entire criminal empires.

I agree with you that we need more witnesses, but we need them to come forward on smaller crimes, such as scrapping and vandalism. I would argue that we need more snitches, i.e. criminals, involved in organized crime to finger as many of their accomplices as possible.
    WBR did receive an alleviated sentence when you take into account that he has served time in federal prison, due to his snitching, instead of state prison.

The snitch doesn't become a snitch without being a criminal first. Therefore, if you have less criminal activity you have a better chance for less snitching and vice versa.

thats a good point

The snitch doesn't become a snitch without being a criminal first. Therefore, if you have less criminal activity you have a better chance for less snitching and vice versa.
    You are missing the point, many thugs were put away thanks to WBR snitching on them. He still is serving a life sentence, and many criminals are no longer walking around our streets, so what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    You are missing the point, many thugs were put away thanks to WBR snitching on them. He still is serving a life sentence, and many criminals are no longer walking around our streets, so what is the problem?
    How much crime did he help them commit? How many people got killed because he fingered them? How many people did he personally put on a path to a life of crime? How many decent, law abiding people had to live and suffer in the neighborhoods were his drugs were sold?

I think the point you're not getting is that his snitching is not some noble, altruistic act. It was done with the same mindset all of his crimes were committed, for his own benefit.

Rick was one of the drivers of the crack boom that devastated the east side and sent many of our neighborhoods into a final spiral from which they will never recover. Hundreds of people died, thousands had their lives destroyed, and tens of thousands of innocent people had their families torn apart by that drug and were either effectively held prisoner in their homes or driven from them by the decade of crime and violence that the epidemic he profited so handsomely from spurred.

I'm far from a supporter of the death penalty, but Rick is fortunate not to live in a death penalty state, and even more fortunate to no longer live out here on the streets that his actions helped destroy. If he had stayed out here his life would have ended like those of so many of his drug empire compatriots, and no one but his family would have been sad about it. THAT'S what his not-so-heroic snitching saved him from. Now he gets three hots and a cot under the full protection of the State of Michigan. Lucky guy. But I sure as hell don't feel any sympathy for him, and, as someone who lived on the east side through those years and lost family to crack, see no earthly reason why I should. Let him rot.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Rick was one of the drivers of the crack boom that devastated the east side and sent many of our neighborhoods into a final spiral from which they will never recover. Hundreds of people died, thousands had their lives destroyed, and tens of thousands of innocent people had their families torn apart by that drug and were either effectively held prisoner in their homes or driven from them by the decade of crime and violence that the epidemic he profited so handsomely from spurred.

I'm far from a supporter of the death penalty, but Rick is fortunate not to live in a death penalty state, and even more fortunate to no longer live out here on the streets that his actions helped destroy. If he had stayed out here his life would have ended like those of so many of his drug empire compatriots, and no one but his family would have been sad about it. THAT'S what his not-so-heroic snitching saved him from. Now he gets three hots and a cot under the full protection of the State of Michigan. Lucky guy. But I sure as hell don't feel any sympathy for him, and, as someone who lived on the east side through those years and lost family to crack, see no earthly reason why I should. Let him rot.
    I know people who have had their lives destroyed by booze. Let's stick the people selling beer, wine, liquor in person and let them rot?

The east side was going to shit fast without the help of crack. Drugs didn't help but I watched lower income families move in while others moved to the burbs.