Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

woodwardboy Guest

Default Creek running through Ford plant

Any former Ford workers remember an open creek that ran through the Ford Rouge complex? I believe this open creek ran through B building. This creek was later covered over in the 1940s I think.

LDoolan Guest

Are you talking about Roulo Creek? If so that was filled in when the B building was built in 1915 or so. If not I'd be interested to hear what others have to say, as I've never heard of an open creek at the B building.
    If you are interested in other Ford historical things, http://vintagefordfacts.blogspot.com/ is where I post various things old Ford related.

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    If you are interested in other Ford historical things, http://vintagefordfacts.blogspot.com/ is where I post various things old Ford related.
    Excellent work, thanks...

Very nice, LDoolan.

Stromberg2

L Doolan, glad you posted your blog. Are you a Ford boy also?

I will definitely be checking in.

woodwardboy Guest

Look at this photo from 1949 at the boat slip [[northern end) enlarge the photo to 800% and you can see the north end of the boat slip has a narrow extension of water going up the entire length of the grounds. I believe this is Campbell creek. But a Ford retiree who worked at the Ford Rouge plant told me of a creek that ran through B Building at ford in the 1930s. He said it was the strangest thing to see this creek run open inside the building.

woodwardboy Guest

LDoolan Guest

Thanks for the kind words. Not trying to hijack the thread by any means- but yea I collect old Ford cars & related memorbilia.

My '31 Ford Truck was built at the Rouge in Jan. 1931......

woodwardboy, love the pic. Fordson Island looks a lot different than when I used to hang out there with my friends... It was all overgrown and we just called it "The Island"
    What I also love about this pic is that I think I see what my grandmother described as temporary military housing... I did always wonder where it could have been, there are only warehouses and industrial buildings there now

LDoolan Guest

Woodwardboy- Interesting pic, I had not paid attention to the fact that there may have been a creek left open during Rouge construction. I had assumed most were filled in or otherwise done away with during the dredging & site leveling process.

I'll have a chance to dig thru some of my Ford books tomorrow afternoon, I'll see if I can find anything for you.

woodwardboy Guest

ok.. thanks..LDoolan

Go to the NOAA site at:

http://historicalcharts.noaa.gov/his...rical_zoom.asp

... and do a search for Detroit River. There's a map of the Rouge and Ford complex from 1936 in the list, that shows where some creeks are located.

woodwardboy Guest

thanks Hornwrecker...I love anything with historical maps online

Quote Originally Posted by Downrivergal View Post
    woodwardboy, love the pic. Fordson Island looks a lot different than when I used to hang out there with my friends... It was all overgrown and we just called it "The Island"
    What I also love about this pic is that I think I see what my grandmother described as temporary military housing... I did always wonder where it could have been, there are only warehouses and industrial buildings there now
    It was overgrown but with a few ramshackle buildings. You could cross onto the island and there was a circular drive. There were quite a few pleasure craft, albeit not million dollar boats. The upscale yachts were usually moored elsewhere unless they decided to venture up the Rouge to explore. We often called it Treasure Island. My brother lived across the street quite a while before the neighborhood took it's last turn for the worse. He had a nice brick bungalow typical of Detroit and the burbs. I attempted to buy a building right on the river near the island to convert to lofts. It's environmental background was so bad it was recommended not to purchase it for that use.

Circa 1911:

Attachment 7751

The labeled creek is Campbell Creek.

Circa 1904:

woodwardboy Guest

appears the shipping canal was dug out of Roulo creek. That sliver of water north of the shipping canal in the Ford plant might be the remnant of Roulo creek. Campbell creek appears to drain into Baby creek off to the east.