Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=11
    Wolf had a television show, "Championship Bowling," that ran from 1954-1965 and was carried in 200 cities. He was inducted into the ABC Bowling Hall of Fame in 1976.

Beat The Champ

http://www.mrbowling300.net/post?id=4759405

9606 Prest:

This is the debut show of Big Time Wrestling on Channel 9. Note that is was originally on Tuesday; in the early summer of '59 it moved to Wednesday night; then on December 10th it moved to its more remembered Thursday night slot. It Remained on Channel 9 until October of 1968 when it moved to Channel 62.

Sam Menaker, the original TV commentator, had a colorful background in wrestling, as a wrestler, manager, and TV commentator. Prior to Jim Barnett & Johnny Doyle bringing Big Time Wrestling to the Detroit area, there was a taped show on Sunday mornings, Bedlam From Boston. Sam was the commentator on this show. In the very early 1950s, he appeared as Gorgeous George's manager/second in the midwest.

Tuesday, March 3, 1959 at the CKLW channel 9 TV studios in Windsor, Canada:
    1- Dick ‘the Bruiser’ Afflis vs. Jack Allen
    2- Angelo Poffo vs. Jim Martin
    3- Wilbur Snyder vs. Frank Brown
    4- Jim Hady vs. Joe Rostoff

Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
    The Sheik passed away on January 18, 2003. He lived in Williamston, Michigan. His former residence has been converted into a bed & breakfast now after sitting vacant for a few years.

The Sheik never really quit the business. He continued to appear in Japan until just a few years before his death.

Real name is Edward Farhat and, according to his family, he lived the Sheik persona 24/7.
    The Sheik fell on hard financial times and eventually lost his mini-mansion in Williamston. He did continue to work, but couldn't save the home. I went to the home around 1981 [[approx) and it was in total disrepair. There were garbage bags all over the balcony........broken windows and trash everywhere. No one lived there. Very sad to see what happened to the place. It was eventually purchased and renovated to become the above-mentioned bed and breakfast.

I went to MSU with his niece Ida and once asked her if the stories about him being the "Sheik" 24/7 were true. Apparently there were other Ed Farhats in the family and to distinguish one from another, the kids called him Uncle Sheik.....but she told me he didn't carry his professional personality to family gatherings.

'' he didn't carry his professional personality to family gatherings. ''
    Good thing for that in case he became angry at someone and decided to gnaw on their foreheads lol

Did anyone attend matches at the air-conditioned Cobo Arena? What do remember about those wrestlers? Were the prices reasonable?

Default wrestling at CKLW station in Windsor

My father used to take me to see the wrestling show at CKLW years ago and introduced me to Bobo Brazil, who is still my favorite wrestler, The Shiek, Lord Layton and others. It was so much better than all the hyped up WWE and other ones that on TV today.
    I'm glad I got to experience wrestling at this level.....

My grandfather loved wrestling...I have so many fond memories watching wrestling with him...his favorite was Dick the Bruiser...mine favorite was The Sheik.

Looking up Edouard Carpentier's bio, I found out Walter Killer Kowalski was a native of Windsor.
    I watched "Sur Le Matelas" or "On the Mat" here in Montreal as a youngster. Carpentier was a frenchman of russian and polish origin who fought in the french resistance and emigrated to Canada in the fifties. He initiated a lot of the high flying over the cables stuff that became very popular. He also brought André the Giant to North America in the seventies. I also had a lot of fun watching these guys do these incredible acrobatic moves. Local wrestlers here were the Rougeau brothers and Mad Dog Vachon. Chief Billy Two Rivers from the Mohawk reservation was big too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3