Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

For all the Larry Shane fans, the correct spelling is Chene [[shortened from Beauchene). As was previously noted, he and Ricky 'Crusher' Cortez were seen on Motor City Wrestling on WXYZ Channel 7. Johnny Slagle was also a host of this show. Larry was killed in an accident early in the morning of October 2, 1964 when his automobile ran off the road in Ottawa, IL. He had wrestled Larry Hennig on the 1st in Moline, IL and was headed back to Detroit [[rumored to be working for the Sheik, who had just recently purchased the promotion from Jim Barnett and Johnny Doyle). He lived on Promenade, near Park.

My favorite Layton memory was watching him get 'burned' by the Sheik's fire on a Saturday night in the early 1970s in Detroit. He had to be carried from the ring with a towel wrapped around his head. On TV it was announced that he would be gone for 6 months while he recovered from the burns. I had a friend who happened to be in Toronto that weekend and brought home some newspapers. According to the newspaper, Layton wrestled the sheik the next night [[Sunday) in Toronto with the same results [[burned).

Does anyone remember the TV commentator that Layton replaced on the Thursday night studio shoes??
    Last edited by goirish1966; November-09-10 at 10:48 AM.

goirish --
    That would be Sam Menaker, whom I had the pleasure of meeting at his travel agency in Indianapolis in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
    My favorite Layton memory was watching him get 'burned' by the Sheik's fire on a Saturday night in the early 1970s in Detroit. He had to be carried from the ring with a towel wrapped around his head. On TV it was announced that he would be gone for 6 months while he recovered from the burns. I had a friend who happened to be in Toronto that weekend and brought home some newspapers. According to the newspaper, Layton wrestled the sheik the next night [[Sunday) in Toronto with the same results [[burned).
    As a kid huddled around the B/W television I was always amazed at seeing the Sheik throw his fire. Alluva sudden, out of nowhere was this bright brilliant flash that seemingly came out of nowhere! I was amazed and just couldn't figure out how they did that. Here's this bruiser of a guy in the ring with nothing on but tights and a pair of boots and POOF! this "fireball" that he'd magically whip up out of thin air.

It wasn't until years later that I found out it was flash paper- an old magician's trick. Either way, it was still amazing to see.