Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The Sheik was probably one if not the most hated wrestlers back then . He was just plain '' dastardly '' I think was one of Lord Layton's words to explain him lol

Default Late 1970's from Big Time Wrestling

This clip continues a match between the Sheik and Tom Jones. Abdullah Farooq acts as the Sheik's "interpreter". "Whipper" Billy Watson interferes in the match toward the end to his peril. Lord Layton Athol calls the action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9m9tnd9aRE

For all the Larry Shane fans, the correct spelling is Chene [[shortened from Beauchene). As was previously noted, he and Ricky 'Crusher' Cortez were seen on Motor City Wrestling on WXYZ Channel 7. Johnny Slagle was also a host of this show. Larry was killed in an accident early in the morning of October 2, 1964 when his automobile ran off the road in Ottawa, IL. He had wrestled Larry Hennig on the 1st in Moline, IL and was headed back to Detroit [[rumored to be working for the Sheik, who had just recently purchased the promotion from Jim Barnett and Johnny Doyle). He lived on Promenade, near Park.

My favorite Layton memory was watching him get 'burned' by the Sheik's fire on a Saturday night in the early 1970s in Detroit. He had to be carried from the ring with a towel wrapped around his head. On TV it was announced that he would be gone for 6 months while he recovered from the burns. I had a friend who happened to be in Toronto that weekend and brought home some newspapers. According to the newspaper, Layton wrestled the sheik the next night [[Sunday) in Toronto with the same results [[burned).

Does anyone remember the TV commentator that Layton replaced on the Thursday night studio shoes??
    Last edited by goirish1966; November-09-10 at 10:48 AM.

goirish --
    That would be Sam Menaker, whom I had the pleasure of meeting at his travel agency in Indianapolis in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
    My favorite Layton memory was watching him get 'burned' by the Sheik's fire on a Saturday night in the early 1970s in Detroit. He had to be carried from the ring with a towel wrapped around his head. On TV it was announced that he would be gone for 6 months while he recovered from the burns. I had a friend who happened to be in Toronto that weekend and brought home some newspapers. According to the newspaper, Layton wrestled the sheik the next night [[Sunday) in Toronto with the same results [[burned).
    As a kid huddled around the B/W television I was always amazed at seeing the Sheik throw his fire. Alluva sudden, out of nowhere was this bright brilliant flash that seemingly came out of nowhere! I was amazed and just couldn't figure out how they did that. Here's this bruiser of a guy in the ring with nothing on but tights and a pair of boots and POOF! this "fireball" that he'd magically whip up out of thin air.

It wasn't until years later that I found out it was flash paper- an old magician's trick. Either way, it was still amazing to see.

Steve:
    Sam was an accomplished pilot. Did he offer to fly you on a trip?? Around that time period I think he was still working for Wilbur Snyder & Dick the Bruiser in Indy.

No, he didn't offer to fly me, just shook my hand. It was my one brush with greatness.

How about Killer Kolwalski and his Klaw move?

Anybody remember or know stories of local wrestling on TV in Detroit in the 1940s and 50s?

I don't remember the early days of wrestling in the Detroit area but I do recall on one occasion going to the CKLW studios in Windsor to see Big Time Wrestling! To get to the studio where wrestling was held, we walked passed the star on the door to Bill Kennedy's studio. Two shows were taped that day and Lord Layton was the host for both. During the first show a wrestler was carried off on a stretcher [[I think it was Mark Lewin) and during the second show which was taped about 30 minutes after the first show was completed , the wrestler that was carried off on the stretcher returned and said he was in the hospital for one week!
    Not many people were in the studio audience but it was a very entertaining event and didn't cost us anything but our time. It was also amusing to gather at one of our homes the following week night to watch ourselves on television as part of the crowd!

I remember one guy wore an "asbestos mask" to protect against the Sheik's fire. Wonder if he has a lawsuit in store?

Wrestler Lou Klein had a gym in Allen Park. He had a ring set up outside next to the building. It was great for us kids as we would play in the ring and act like we were big time wrestlers. Sometimes Klein would come out and show us some moves.

http://www.percivalafriend.com/friend011408.htm
    Last edited by Downriviera; November-11-10 at 06:09 PM.

This stuff is so burned into my brain, using up space that could been used for something...anything...else

Leapin' Larry Chene was a regular on Motor City Wrestling, which was on WXYZ. In the 60's, Fred Wolfe was the announcer, and when he wasn't touting the upcoming Saturday night bout [[promoted by Bert Ruby), he was hawking real estate in Toltec, Arizona. Larry's big moves were the "flying scissors kick" and the "double drop kick", and his frequent tag team partner was Gentleman Jim Hadee [[who lived across the street from me when I was about 4 yrs old).

One of my favorite MCW bad guys was "Mr. X", who wore a mask and was always accompanied by his manager, "The Professor" [[or maybe it was The Prof accompanied by his manager Mr. X).

Check out Flying Scissors Kick around 1:37...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_3Pcjr74BU

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Wrestler Lou Klein had a gym in Allen Park. He had a ring set up outside next to the building. It was great for us kids as we would play in the ring and act like we were big time wrestlers. Sometimes Klein would come out and show us some moves.

http://www.percivalafriend.com/friend011408.htm
    I went all the way through school and graduated with a girl who trained at Lou Klein's studio. Her wrestling name was Heather Feather. She was always a very sweet person to me and my wife. I still have the graduation picture she gave me.

[quote=Downriviera;197777]Wrestler Lou Klein had a gym in Allen Park. He had a ring set up outside next to the building. It was great for us kids as we would play in the ring and act like we were big time wrestlers. Sometimes Klein would come out and show us some moves.

http://www.percivalafriend.com/friend011408.htm[/quote] About what year was that ??

I'm guessing around 68 or 69.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I remember one guy wore an "asbestos mask" to protect against the Sheik's fire. Wonder if he has a lawsuit in store?
    The things the Sheik made people do! He truly was a legend here wasn't he? He had one heckuva gimmick and I hope he parlayed it into something huge for himself. I've heard rumors that he did very well after he quit the wrestling circuit and just passed away not that long ago. Any validity to that?

The Sheik passed away on January 18, 2003. He lived in Williamston, Michigan. His former residence has been converted into a bed & breakfast now after sitting vacant for a few years.

The Sheik never really quit the business. He continued to appear in Japan until just a few years before his death.

Real name is Edward Farhat and, according to his family, he lived the Sheik persona 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'm guessing around 68 or 69.
    We graduated in January 1968 from Lincoln Park High. So her training was after that. I remember seeing her on TV in the 70's or maybe a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I think Larry Shane and Crusher Cortez were on Fred Wolf's show, not on Lord Layton's.

You guys are only mentioning the guys who used to win matches. There were other wrestlers who were fed to the likes of the Bruiser et al who never won a match. I can think of Jim Grabmeyer, Tony Simon, Prince Pullens, and "Dynamite" Johnny Gates. Are there any others who come to mind?
    Bob Nandor comes to mind.

Does anyone remember what years "Big Time Wrestling" was on Channel 9? Was Lord Layton always the host?

I remember going to WXYZ's Broadcast House with my mother, an aunt and a couple of cousins to be in the audience for for the televised wrestling show which I know now was Motor City Wrestling. I think it was a Saturday morning taping. I know we got to watch it on TV later. It would have been around 1960.

Was Fred Wolf the host of 'Motor City Wrestling' in 1960? How long did that show run? Did "Big Time Wrestling" come in after "Motor City Wrestling" went off the air or were they both on television at about the same time??

When I was a kid I lived across the street from promoter Johnny Doyle out in Franklin. Occasionally he would take me to CKLW on Thursday nights to watch the "live" wrestling show. Dick the Bruiser was the top bad guy and Cowboy Bob Ellis among the top good guys. Sam Menacker was the announcer prior to Athol Layton taking over. That show was "Big Time Wrestling" with their Detroit shows primarily at the Olympia.

The other promotion was "Motor City Wrestling" which was taped at WXYZ. As mentioned above, Johnny Slagle was the main announcer. That promotion was owned by Burt Ruby who primarily promoted outside of Detroit. Leapin Larry Chene was the top good guy while Ricki Cortez was among the cast of villains. During those times, when secrecy or "kayfabe" was the norm, Jim Myers, a coach and athletic director at Madison High School, wrestled as "The Student" a masked villain. Outside of Detroit Myers became George "The Animal" Steele, a brawling bad guy.

Not sure about the wrestlin' shows , but I remember Fred Wolf [[e ? ) hosting a bowling show called '' Beat The Champ '' at Thunderbird Lanes [[ in Troy ? ) I think the show was about regular bowlers taking on a pro bowler [[ probably someone local)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast