Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Steve:
    Sam was an accomplished pilot. Did he offer to fly you on a trip?? Around that time period I think he was still working for Wilbur Snyder & Dick the Bruiser in Indy.

No, he didn't offer to fly me, just shook my hand. It was my one brush with greatness.

How about Killer Kolwalski and his Klaw move?

Anybody remember or know stories of local wrestling on TV in Detroit in the 1940s and 50s?

I don't remember the early days of wrestling in the Detroit area but I do recall on one occasion going to the CKLW studios in Windsor to see Big Time Wrestling! To get to the studio where wrestling was held, we walked passed the star on the door to Bill Kennedy's studio. Two shows were taped that day and Lord Layton was the host for both. During the first show a wrestler was carried off on a stretcher [[I think it was Mark Lewin) and during the second show which was taped about 30 minutes after the first show was completed , the wrestler that was carried off on the stretcher returned and said he was in the hospital for one week!
    Not many people were in the studio audience but it was a very entertaining event and didn't cost us anything but our time. It was also amusing to gather at one of our homes the following week night to watch ourselves on television as part of the crowd!