Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Spring Forward, Fall Back

Don't forget to set your clocks back an hour tonight. It's officially to occur at 2AM Sunday.

I have about 13 clocks to set. The worst are two hunky, ancient mechanical clocks. One needs its pendulum stopped for an hour. The other requires its minute hand rewound less than 15 minutes at a time until it's correct.

I've always wondered about the quirky legal ramifications from this bizarre ritual. Imagine a murderer arrested at 1:15 AM for a murder he actually committed at 1:45 AM.

Oh, and change the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors!
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-06-10 at 08:37 PM.

I'm inPhoenix tonight. No clockwork is needed here. I guess AZ doesn't DO DST.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I'm inPhoenix tonight. No clockwork is needed here. I guess AZ doesn't DO DST.
    Arizona and Hawaii are the only 2 holdouts left. Personally I would prefer Daylight Savings Time year round.

I dont know why we still bother with this. ANy energy savings is totally ruined by my own personal energies spent in adjusting and the inevitable daily naps at my desk after every change. <y personal adjustment takes 10 days or so....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Arizona and Hawaii are the only 2 holdouts left. Personally I would prefer Daylight Savings Time year round.
    Remember when we did that for a short while in the early '70s?

I prefer my dark in the mornings and a longer evening daylight. This time change just depresses the hell out of me.

[[Sarcasm mode on)

I don't understand why they made the time to switch to or from Daylight Savings Time at 2:00 a.m. I'm getting way too old to be able to stay awake until then to make the change. Why can't they make it earlier in the evening so we don't have to wait until 2:00 a.m.?

[[Sarcasm mode off. Hey, I only get to do that joke twice a year, so give me a break.)

Spring forward one hour tonight.

Time.gov

When will this madness END?!

This is probably the biggest reason humans lose sync with the cycles of the Earth/Sun system. Totally unsettling and unnecessary.

I have to agree. Especially since I was a day early! Oops.

Yes, I find it very disrupting to my natural sleep pattern for a bout six weeks. I already turned forward all clocks as of last night and turning in early to get adjusted fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    This is probably the biggest reason humans lose sync with the cycles of the Earth/Sun system. Totally unsettling and unnecessary.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-12-16 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    When will this madness END?!

Daylight Saving time- The movie trailers.

https://youtu.be/w45QkL9blG4

https://youtu.be/k4EUTMPuvHo
    Last edited by Pam; March-12-16 at 06:43 PM.

So in other words, you're completely incapable of flying from here to someplace like Minneapolis or Kansas City and carrying on a functional life?

I love it! That being said, I'd be fine with eliminating the change if it was Daylight Saving Time year round! There are few things I hate more than working a long day and not having any daylight left at the end of it when my time is my own.

Agreed. The last thing I want is the sun coming up at 4fucking30 in the morning in June.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Remember when we did that for a short while in the early '70s?
    I remember that. Traveling between Chicago and Detroit. Sometimes it was the same, sometimes not. How long didn't Michigan participate in D/S/T?

I think it we remained on DST through one winter in 1972 or 73. Or maybe until January, or something weird like that. I also think we were late to hop on DST after WWII, maybe until the 1960s.