Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

North Yard

Could be North Yard or the sounds might becoming from the East Yard of the CN. Not sure who is in charge of the North Yard which was controlled by the NYC, Penn Central and the Conrail. Then came the big mergers. When the Plymouth assembly plant was still running the NYC sent out a great dela of bi-level and tri-level trains loaded with Chrysler products. The East Yard handled cars headed to Ohio from Pt. Huron and vice versa. The yard was also a sorting and storage yard.

Clay as it bends north into St. Aubin, between the Russell and Freezer Services. The tracks run alongside the road before it goes into the North Yard. I live on the fringe of the North, and I'll truly miss the racket of that yard 24/7 should I move.

Theres a Grand Trunk station and crossing on Holbrook east of I-75 freeway. You can almost shake the engineers hand as the trains pass at this location. Theres usually a lot of box cars, tank cars etc. in the yard. Good luck.

Here's a few I took pictures of that might help

Location where I found them

Since you are trying to make your trains look real, will you also be painting the cars to give them that weathered look with rust streaks coming down from the top corners? I saw a guy at Gibraltar Trade Center that had a model train display painting his cars this way, very cool.

Any of you railfans know of good hot spots for train watching in Toledo?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Here's a few I took pictures of that might help

Location where I found them
    Thanks those are great...I copied them and will try them...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Since you are trying to make your trains look real, will you also be painting the cars to give them that weathered look with rust streaks coming down from the top corners? I saw a guy at Gibraltar Trade Center that had a model train display painting his cars this way, very cool.
    Big trains show there this weekend....will see what is there for ideas and weathering tips. Thanks

A lot of the guys at the train show will be experts on where to get the best pictures. You can ask them.

BTW: Our Deerfield Beach [[FL) Railroad Museum train show and swap meet will be going on Sat, Nov 6 here in Florida.

Sterling Yard at 17 mile between Mound & VanDyke. Across the street from the Ford axle plant. next to Lays Snack food whse. Behind General Dynamics plant.

...easy access, wide open view from parking area.
    Few locomotives. whole lot of auto-haulers. some boxcars. some gondolas. few tank cars.

good luck with your project

Ford Yard on CN/GT's River Sub on Pennsylvania just a minute west of West Jefferson/Biddle. Sometimes you can see engines, but there's plenty of boxcars and centerbeams, some gondolas and maybe even the occasional tanker car.

A mile to the north, the River Sub passes by Roosevelt High's outdoor running track. At one point the track is only a couple feet from the railroad. You can wave at the engineer on a northbound train on that rail and he'll wave to you back. But beware of the very loud horn, because nearby is the Oak Street crossing, site of a former passenger station and one of the best railfan spots in Downriver.

At King Road near I-75 there is some sort of a mini-yard, on the south side you can sometimes see a GT GP38.

Pennsylvania west of I-275, two yards, all autoracks. On the southen yard there are also black-and-orange engines belonging to the "New Boston Rail Service". Also see mainline CSX action here.

Get a dirt bike, remove the plates and fly around taking photos until you're spotted. Then depart by non-traditional routes if you're approached. We used to do that many years ago. The big concern nowadays is if Homeland Security gets involved. You might have terrorism charges laid on you.

Since 9/11, trespassing on railroad property is a felony. And watch out for those guys in the caboose with the salt guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2