Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I made an amazing chicken liver paté, So delicious with Avalon baguette and glass of wine!

Oh, ma FEET! Everything went off well. The maple pumpkin pie was awesome. The cranberry sauce was very good. I used pom juice, maple syrup, and once the skins popped, I added walnuts and grated orange peel. It gelled up good and was yummy.

I would love to have that pate recipe, Red. Sounds yummy. I am relaxing now with a bit of spiced cherry wine. Dishes are washing, life is good.

Simple simple. Two pounds chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed. 1/2 sweet onion, slivered. 3 cloves garlic, simmered. 1 Bay leaf, thyme [[about 1tsp) THREE STICKS OF BUTTER [[you're eating liver, why would you worry about butter?) 1/2 cup water. Put liver, herbs, onion and garlic in water, bring to a boil then simmer for about 7 minutes then let sit in liquid for about 5. Drain well [[save the liquid if you want to make an aspic for the top, I don't because my husband won't eat it), put in food processor with the butter and a healthy slug of whiskey, cognac, or brandy, and one for the cook. Process till everything is mixed. Pour into bowl, cover tightly. Eat with thinly sliced baguette and those little cornichon pickles if you remember to buy them.

Default Lomo Saltado

Peruvian National Dish Lomo Saltado
    Serves 4

• 1 [[16 ounce) package frozen French fries
    • vegetable oil as needed
    • 1 pound beef tri tip, sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick [[or flank steak or other beef cut, OR chicken breast)
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 1 large onion, sliced into strips
    • 3 large tomatoes, sliced into strips
    • 1 yellow chili pepper, sliced thin
    • 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar [[wine vinegar is good, too)
    • 1 dash soy sauce to taste
    • 1-3 tsp cumin, optional
    • 1 clove garlic, minced, optional
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro

Directions

Marinate the meat in the vinegar and soy sauce for at least half an hour
    Prepare the French fries according to package directions. Turn up heat in oven to make them extra crispy.
    While the French fries are cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
    Season the sliced meat with salt and pepper to taste. Fry the meat until just cooked, and the juices begin to release. Remove the meat from the frying pan, then cook the onions, with additional oil if needed, until they are transparent. Stir in the tomato and chile, garlic and cumin; cook until the tomato softens. Pour in the vinegar and soy sauce, add the French fries, cover, and cook until the beef is done, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve. The fries can be arranged on the plate with the meat and vegetables on top then pour the pan juices over.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-08-10 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Tweaking recipe

Default Maple Cranberry Rice Pudding --Perfect Snowy Day Recipe

Because you have to stand and stir this for a good while, I don't make it when I might want to be outside, but today, watching the snow blow and listening to the Keewadinish wind chimes herald the North Wind, I couldn't think of a better activity. It smells so good, and gave me a good excuse not to go outside and try to help my neighbor push his car out of the ditch.

Cranberry Maple Rice Pudding
    3/4 cup white rice, uncooked
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 cups Milk
    1/2 cup Maple Syrup
    1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup dried cranberries [[or homemade Cranberry Sauce with walnuts)

In a medium heavy-bottom pot stir in water, rice and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook until most of the water has been absorbed for approx. 8-9 minutes. Total time about 25-30m minutes.

Stir in remaining ingredients except cranberries. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered about 25 minutes, stir constantly. Cook until rice is very tender and is thickened [[will still continue to thicken slightly as it cools) Remove from heat and stir in dried cranberries.

Note: I tried not stirring it for a couple minutes, and it gets a skin on it.

I wish I had read this before I went to the market. I didn't buy milk and I'm not going back out again.

I have a big pot of black bean soup on, it will begin to disappear in about an hour.

I used part canned milk because I ran out of regular milk. I sure didn't feel like going out to the store today either.

Time to bring back this post again. My Mom keeps amazing recipe files. We went through a few today. These recipes span more than 150 years of people long past and their ancestors. My favorite so far ended with a recipe from a lady dead now 50 years. It was for apple sauce and yet kind of an apple crisp. It starts with "Keep your man healthy with this for breakfast every morning" and ends with " eat this and you will know that the human race still has a future". Serious cool folk wisdom.

Default Applesauce! Stories! Recipes?

That's interesting! Would you care to share this recipe, it sounds wonderful.

On a similar note, my Grandma Lucy asked me one time if I knew how to make a Marlborough Pie, as she had it when she was at Carlisle Indian School [[1910s), and would like to try it again. I hadn't heard of it, and this was pre-internet, but I had the beginnings of a massive cookbook collection, so went bloodhound, going through my older cookbooks and I found it! In a cookbook that had belonged to my Grandma Ada. Isn't that a coincidence?

So my Grandma Lucy and I made the Marlborough Pie. Afterwards she pronounced it good, but she didn't need to make it ever again. As for me, I thought the recipe would have been easier if they told me I was making applesauce to start out.

Here is a similar recipe courtesy of the Internet.

Marlborough Pie Recipe
    From 'Apple Pie: An American Story'

Crust
    2/3 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
    ½ tablespoon salt
    2 cups flour
    4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
    With a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the shortening and salt into the flour until the mix is pebbly. Add the water and stir with a fork until the dough becomes somewhat sticky. Form dough into a ball, and then cut the ball in half, handling the dough as little as possible. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate, preferably for at least an hour.

Filling
    1 lemon
    3 large apples, peeled
    ½ tablespoon dry sherry
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    ½ cup unsalted butter
    Squeeze the lemon into a large bowl. Grate the lemon peel into the same bowl, taking care to avoid the white pith. Grate the peeled apples coarsely and toss in as well. Pour in the sherry and stir in the sugar. Mix well. Beat the eggs until light. Cream the butter until soft and add the eggs, blending well. Stir the butter and egg mixture into the sweetened fruit. [The recipe I had made you cut the apples up and cook them until soft, then mix in the other stuff.]

Finish
    Heat the oven to 400° F. Roll the dough into two circles that are 2-3 inches wider in diameter than your pie shell or plate. Place one crust in the pie plate. Save the other crust for another use in the refrigerator. Lay the crust into the pie plate. Prick all over with a fork, and spoon in the pudding. Bake at 400° F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving it warm.

Hey Gaz, always love your recipes. Shared your Buckskin [[did I get the name right?) bread recipe with Django. It is so good with soup. I keep a very un organized recipe file, the latest is a clip board.

Actually really do love to cook, bake etc. It is so grounding. Cheap sort of love in an odd way. Gave neighbors a cheesecake I made and they are still raving about it. Didn't tell them but it is a cheap lasy version but does taste great

Kind of miss the fact that my sons are both grown now. We had lot of fun in the kitchen while they were growing up. My youngest wanted to be a chef but settled for a union milright job and is a masonic member. I just gave him a mason bible that belonged to my Dad. Perhaps some day he will remember his dream. I don't think he is too happy right now. My eldest is a vegan vegetarian but goes off his wagon once in a blue moon and comes to see Mom.

It is a bit funny, my husband and I don't weigh 300 # on a scale together but both boys are hefty. Mea Culpa!

Maybe I will get a new scanner and share some of these old recipes. Most are a heart attack waiting to happen.

Anyone remember the old gas company cookbooks. My Mom kept them all. They kind of read like butter, butter and more butter.

Actually still use Mom's "Settlement cookbook" if I want recipes that will kill with fattening ingrediants.

Sorry waxing nostalgic. Seriously, nothing better than good food and good friends. Throw in a little wine and it is like nirvana on earth

mmm...fried bread and wild rice.

LodgeDodger Guest

I use rum in my apple pie. I'll have to find the recipe.

Please find that apple pie recipe!

Just waxing nostalgic all day. Remember when my niece graduated from eigth grade. We hosted a party for her. She wanted to serve alcohol to impress friends. Thought about it and suggested we do a "rum" punch. Everyone was happy. All we really did was put a hair of rum extract into the punch. Stopped anyone from importing booze and frankly it was funny watching the kids think they were getting liquored up.

Sounds a bit mean in retrospect but it was funny to watch.

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 12 cup bundt cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups butter
    • 3 cups white sugar
    • 5 eggs
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons lemon extract
    • 3/4 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage

Directions

1. Cream together the butter and sugar for 20 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add flour, lemon extract and fold in the 7UP ™ soft drink.
    2. Pour into a well-greased 12 cup Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees F [[165 degrees C) for 60 to 75 minutes.

Mmm, the cake sounds wonderful! We have a sweet potato cheesecake from Peteet's on Nine Mile east of Coolidge in Oak Park, but when it's gone, cake will be next.

Here is something to save a few calories, and good serve on Powwow weekends. It's from an Abenaki cookbook author, Dale Carson:

Black Bean and Corn Salad
    2 cans black beans, drained
    1 can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 green bell pepper, fine chopped
    1 red bell pepper, fine chopped
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons good olive oil
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    5 scallions, sliced thin
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
    Using a large bowl, combine the black beans, corn, peppers, lime juice, oil and vinegar. Mix well. Chill for at least 2 to 3 hours so the flavors can mingle. Just before serving garnish the salad with scallion and parsley.

Anyone have some tips on frying zucchini?
    I've never done it before and want to give it a try.
    Thanks.

slice it 1/4 inch thick or so, dip it in an egg wash, then in either seasoned bread crumbs or panko and pan fry it until golden and crunchy in hot oil. Goes well with a ranch dressing for dipping

I forgot the step of dipping them in a little flour between the egg and the breadcrumbs
    Last edited by jcole; August-01-11 at 06:29 PM.

I just got this interesting recipe from Pillsbury, of all places, can't wait to try it:

Stout Beer Ice Cream Mini-Floats

Prep Time: 5 Min
    Total Time: 5 Min
    Makes: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 cup premium vanilla ice cream

1/2 cup stout draught beer [[from 14.9-oz can)

3 tablespoons chocolate-flavor syrup

DIRECTIONS

Using small ice cream scoop [[about 1 tablespoon each), place 2 small scoops in each of 8 shot glasses. Slowly pour about 1 tablespoon beer into each glass. 2 Drizzle each with about 1 teaspoon syrup. Serve immediately with small spoons.

I just fry my zucchini in olive oil and season with cumin

Stout Beer Ice Cream Mini-Floats
    Sounds as if a "Boston Cooler" with a kick would be a good summer drink! Vanilla ice cream, Vernor's, and maybe spiced rum.

One of my old time summer drinks, that I haven't had for a few years is, ice, Midori [[or cheaper version), O.J., and a shot of Vodka or Rum for the kick. Looks like swamp water, but tastes like heaven.

By the way, what is that little star thingy on this thread? I've searched around the site, but found nothing.

Attachment 10299

I'd ask Gannon, but he would tell me it has something to do with the National Security Agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    By the way, what is that little star thingy on this thread? I've searched around the site, but found nothing.

Attachment 10299

I'd ask Gannon, but he would tell me it has something to do with the National Security Agency.
    It may be hall of fame thread

It may be hall of fame thread.
    Then the Garwood Mansion thread should have five stars!

It is Hall of Fame. Used to be red dot, I think.

Checking in on that stupid mashed thread I started, made me real hungry for just that! I've been working in the yard all day, so I'm real tired. I've got instant potatoes, real bacon crumbles, Mexican cheese, sour cream and chives.
    Easy potato skins - without the skin. Maybe some frozen battered chicken planks I have thrown in a convection oven.

My gourmet days are over. It's too hot and too much trouble.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast