Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

AWright, so where is everybody? Sumas, Eriedearie, Jams, BigB,Kathinozarks, ORF? I hope somebody has some recipes to share. I want to post just this one more, it was soooo good, then if nobody is interested I guess the thread can fall off the page again with my blessing.

We had this for dinner, and it was awesome! The recipe was in the Free Press Yes section on Sunday. I wanted to serve it as a main dish so I doubled the meat amount and also threw in a few leftovers I had from yesterday's BBQ, three or four little roasted new red potatoes, a few slices of sweet onion that I grizzled with the steak. The recipe took well to those adapations. I served with one lone garlic bread roll I had left from yesterday, cut in half.

Steak, Radish and Edamame Salad
    Serves 2

4 oz sirloin steak [[I used 6 or 8 oz)
    1 tsp + 1 T olive oil [[I used plain olive oil for the 1 tsp cooking, and extra virgin for the dressing
    1 T lemon juice
    1 tsp sugar [[I used Splenda)
    1 medium radishes
    1/2 c frozen shelled edamame, thawed
    1 oz crumbled goat cheese [[This is REALLY good, don't skip this)
    Cracked black pepper

Preheat a small skillet or grill to medium high. Brush the steak with 1 tsp olive oil and cook until medium rare, 5 to 7 minutes, turning once.

Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice and 2 T olive oil and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut the ends of the radishes and slice thinly. Add the radishes and edamame to the bowl with the lemon mixture, toss well. Dish into salad bowls. [[OK, I had some leftover hearts of romaine that I put into the bowls first, it looked amazing.)

Slice the steak and place on top of salad. [[Put on those grizzled onions if you have them.) Top with goat cheese and pepper.

Enjoy!

So good and so easy!

Forget iceberg, get a batch of mixed lettuces, or even add young dandelion leaves to the mix.
    Slice strawberries, add raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, whatever or add any fruit you like to the mix.

If non-allergic add toasted almonds, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, whatever to the mix.

I like to add some bleu cheese crumbles to the mix, but feta, swiss, gouda, even American work as well.

Now comes the best part,
    Based on one quart of unflavored yoghurt, add 1/4 c. of honey, 1/4c. of orange juice, some zest. Mix until smooth. Pour over salad and toss.

Add shredded carrots if you like, the best part about this salad is that you add anything you like. I added crumbled to bacon to one today it was delicious, the saltiness of the bacon played well with the sweetness of the dressing , the fresh berries and bitter lettuce.

Cooking is an art, not a science, if the flavors work together, that is all you can ask for.

Glad to see that the thread is continuing. On Memorial day my brother came over with his family and they provided dinner from Boston Market. One of the sides was creamed spinach. My sister and I thought it was good but we had had creamed spinach at the Pump Room in Chicago years ago that was outstanding. The next day, we ate left overs. I added Feta to the dish and it tasted great. Next time I want spinach cheese pie and if I feel lazy I'll buy a side, add Feta and Phyllo sheets and almost have an instant dinner.

For anyone who wants a quick dinner try making Mediteranian Hamburgers. Fry up some crumbled ground beef. When meat is almost done, add chunks of onion, zuchinni, cucumber and tomato. Serve in pocket Pita with ranch dressing as the sauce. It's really good

Hi y'all. I'm trying to eat healthier and less, with a bit of success. One thing that turned me around, this spring I visited a couple of urban farms that had the most delicious fresh greens. It made me think about what I was eating and the impact it had on my environment.

If you haven't read any Mark Bittman, I would urge you foodies to check him out. He has several blogs and websites, and his newest book is Food Matters. It takes up the challenge to be less meat-dependent if not meat-free. He espouses a Vegan till 6 diet, where you eschew all animal products till six at night, then eat whatever you want. He lost 30 pounds in 3 months, got his glycemic numbers out of control and dropped his cholesterol.

I like to cook and I don't mind prep work so I'm trying it. I'm having a hard time without yogurt so I've decided to keep that. I don't have a timetable, I just want to drop a few and more importantly, feel better.

My son is vegetarian [[not vegan) so over the years I have compiled a list of recipes he can eat and enjoys.

Here is an easy one. Lasagna roll ups. Can be made in any quantity

Ingrediants: Lasagna noodles [[one noodle makes two roll ups)
    fresh or thawed frozen minced spinach
    equal parts ricotta and cottage cheese
    parmesan, asiago or romano to taste
    Marinara sauce- home made or canned

Mix spinach, and cheeses, Boil lasagna noodles. Paint the cooked lasagna with the mixture. Roll the noodle and cut it in half. In a casserole dish put some marinara sauce in bottom and place stuffed noodles cut side down. Serve the remainder of Marinara on the side. Bake at 375 for 1/2 hr.

It is super easy, looks very pretty [[especially if served in a round white casserole dish) Tastes great!

Here is another vegetarian casserole. Take a casserole dish and lightly coat it with olive oil. Add sliced onions first layer, second layer is peeled sliced potatos, third layer is sliced zuchini, forth layer is sliced fresh tomatos. repeat layers as desired. top with asiago, salt and pepper to taste and rosemary. drizel with olive oil. bake covered at 375 for about an hour or until potatos are fork tender.

This can be served as a main dish or side. With the rosemary the smell is heavenly. Tastes great too.

Always looking for meatless recipes so hope people share.

My vegetarian son is getting married this friday. The bride is vegetarian and so are her divorced parents. Dad who is paying for this shindig insisted on including chicken as part of the menu since most of the guests are not vegetarian. The brides mother and sister threatened to boycott the wedding if meat was served so now the menu is meatless.

I don't care about the menu much but I highly disaprove of the brides mother and sisters method of getting their own way through emotional black mail.

Thoughts anyone?

Almost makes me want to take a portable grill and serve hotdogs in the parking lot. Fantasy, only people and besides I don't like hotdogs.

I am a second hand kind of person and my business partner gave me several of her mother of the bride/groom dresses. She had a large family. I chose to wear a simple off white/ecru floor length dress with discrete pink sequins and pearl emblishments. I told my son about it and the bride- to-be had hissys. My son told me she disaproved and he was very embarassed relaying the message and begged me not to be mad. I wasn't but did jokingly tell him I will just wear black

My sister in law's sister sent over five dresses. The one I like best is black. I won't wear it but it is tempting. My small revenge however will be wearing some outrageous earrings loaned to me by a friend who is homosexual and while not a cross dresser, he loves flamboyant jewelry!

Needless to say I am not thrilled by this union but will always support my son in his choices. He is marrying this woman and her family, not us. I have a strick policy of non interference un like her female family.

Just doing a little venting here so thanks for your tolerance. Sumas

A lot of brides would throw a fit if someone wears white to their wedding, even with the discrete pink sequins. Bridal dresses sometimes come with touches of pink, or blue or even black. My daughter's was white satin with blue embroidery.
    As to the food blackmail, that was just rude of them. Just because they don't want to eat meat doesn't mean the other 95% of the population doesn't. And the guests are the ones who bring the gifts.

I think the bride should stand out in her white dress, nobody else needs to wear white. These days, I see lots of women wearing black at weddings, but not the MOTB or G. I hope you can find a dress that you love for this special occasion!

I guess for the food, it won't hurt us not to have meat for one meal out of the week. The menu should be very interesting, please do share it with us.

Generally, brides have a color scheme. Don't have a clue what hers is. If people read my posts I have already said I won't wear black. As to an ecru dress several women of my own age have said when in doubt wear ecru since it will not clash with anything. When my son said don't, I said it's ok it is the brides day after all.

Seriously off topic, but would like to say a wedding is just a party. To focus too much on it is just silly. The marriage should be the focus. We spent very little on our wedding and it was lovely.

This year we will celebrate 35 years together. Our rings cost $100 at the Metropolitan building, my dress was a sample sale at Hudsons and cost $60. The cake was the most expensive thing at $350. Our whole wedding which was a traditional church wedding cost under $2500. We honey mooned with friends in Toronto.

Meatless meals are common in our house. In fact, I would be suprised if we ate more than 2# a week between 3 people.

Just hope people keep sending in recipes. Love to cook, love to entertain and share/break bread with folks in relaxed fellowship.

Michigan Guest

Sumas, are you cooking at the wedding?

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    My vegetarian son is getting married this friday. The bride is vegetarian and so are her divorced parents. Dad who is paying for this shindig insisted on including chicken as part of the menu since most of the guests are not vegetarian. The brides mother and sister threatened to boycott the wedding if meat was served so now the menu is meatless.

I don't care about the menu much but I highly disaprove of the brides mother and sisters method of getting their own way through emotional black mail.

Thoughts anyone?

Almost makes me want to take a portable grill and serve hotdogs in the parking lot. Fantasy, only people and besides I don't like hotdogs.

I am a second hand kind of person and my business partner gave me several of her mother of the bride/groom dresses. She had a large family. I chose to wear a simple off white/ecru floor length dress with discrete pink sequins and pearl emblishments. I told my son about it and the bride- to-be had hissys. My son told me she disaproved and he was very embarassed relaying the message and begged me not to be mad. I wasn't but did jokingly tell him I will just wear black

My sister in law's sister sent over five dresses. The one I like best is black. I won't wear it but it is tempting. My small revenge however will be wearing some outrageous earrings loaned to me by a friend who is homosexual and while not a cross dresser, he loves flamboyant jewelry!

Needless to say I am not thrilled by this union but will always support my son in his choices. He is marrying this woman and her family, not us. I have a strick policy of non interference un like her female family.

Just doing a little venting here so thanks for your tolerance. Sumas
    Unless it is your wedding STFU.

Your act of "revenge" shows just shows how petty and spiteful you are AGAIN.

Everything you talk about is ME ME ME, it's you sons wedding and not yours.

It is one fucking day! Deal and move on.

I see why you use the screen name toolbox. What a tool!

Of course I write about my life and from my perspective. Try reading posts word for word. It is the brides day. I don't care if the dinner is meatless just not the methods used to attain that end. My son has every right to live his own life without my interferance. I adore cheap jewelry. In fact my husband and sons went to the track and placed a sizable bet on a horse called cheap jewelery the horse won and certainly paid for their day at the tracks and dinner after.

Do I whine? Most likely. However, you sound like you need anger management classes. That is just MYYYYY opinion.

Back to topic: Food

Anyone try the Knorr's Brand Hollandaise or Bernaise sauce packages? They are outstanding. Just as good as home made and way easier. I also like the Stouffers brand Welsh rarebit [[sp?) I make crepes wrapped around steamed asparagus and topped with cheese sauce and boiled egg slices.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I see why you use the screen name toolbox. What a tool!

Do I whine? Most likely. However, you sound like you need anger management classes.

Way to resort to name calling, real third grade of you.

If that is what you consider an online beatdown you need to grow some thicker skin.

All of you posting is woe is me and a lot of people are done with it. Grow up.

All of you posting is woe is me and a lot of people are done with it. Grow up.
    You could just not read them.

Maybe he is hungry. I wish he was here, I need somebody to help me eat this humongous Hilltop Restaurant cinnamon roll. Anybody been to L'Anse and tried these?

LodgeDodger Guest

Would anyone have some good Quinoa recipes? I'm stumped.

Michigan Guest

Since Sumas is cooking for the wedding, or at least providing the food, then she does have a say in the menu. You guys are out of line. Sumas, I would would add more than just earrings from that gay man, that would be the sweet, sweet taste of revenge.

Back on topic.

I've been researching veggie and vegan recipes lately.

Do you have any favorites to contribute? I prefer relatively easy, but hearty enough that a carnivore would eat despite the lack of meat.

Thanks Jam for "back on topic". What exactly is a Zip sauce? Had it on mushrooms today at an area restaurant. It was a meal in itself.

Anyone tried potato stuffed gnochi in veggie soup. Worked in Eastern Market for several years for a food wholesaler. The woman that runs the Ivanhoe Cafe AKA the Polish Yaghct [[sp) Club said she made the best vegetable soup. She was right!

Will never be a vegetarian but raw food is the way to go for really healthful eating. Must admit that a good prime rib or a great malted milk shake is a must do a least once a year each.

I'll second LD request and what about lentils? I'm trying to eat more of them but not sure what to make them in other than soup.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I'll second LD request and what about lentils? I'm trying to eat more of them but not sure what to make them in other than soup.
    Lentil rice pilaf.

Lentils with Zucchini Recipe

User Rating Be the first to Write a Review
    From Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Michael Pandya [[Inner Traditions Intl, Ltd)

This Indian dish combines lentils1 and zucchini2 with turmeric3, garam masala4, ginger5, and chile6 for a tasty side dish with a bit of a bite.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• <LI class=ingredient>1/2 cup lentils, rinsed <LI class=ingredient>2-1/2 cups water <LI class=ingredient>1/2 teaspoon turmeric <LI class=ingredient>3 Tablespoons ghee [[clarified butter) <LI class=ingredient>2 garlic cloves, chopped <LI class=ingredient>1 [[1/2-inch) piece ginger <LI class=ingredient>1 green chile, chopped <LI class=ingredient>1 small zucchini, chopped <LI class=ingredient>Salt <LI class=ingredient>1/2 teaspoon garam masala
    • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    Preparation:

Place lentils7, water, and turmeric8 in a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Continue cooking, removing the froth from the top from time to time.

In a separate pot, heat half the ghee. Saute onion and garlic9 till golden. Stir in ginger10, chile11, and zucchini12. Mix thoroughly and continue to cook for 5 minutes.

Transfer the lentils to the zucchini mixture. Stir in salt and garam masala13. Half cover the pot, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes.

In the remaining ghee, toss in the cumin seeds and heat till they sizzle and change color.

Serve lentils hot with the ghee cumin seeds.

Yield: 4 servings

Recipe Source: Indian Vegetarian Cooking14 by Michael Pandya [[Inner Traditions International, Limited)
    Reprinted with permission.

I saw this on the internet and it sounded wonderful. Will try it soon.

Haven't tried this one yet, but was impressed enough to put it into my test notebook to try soon.
    Recipe: Veggie Burgers These vegan burgers, made with lentils, are healthy, low-fat, and delicious.
    Yield 8-10 burgers Time 1 hour Tools
    • saucepan with lid
    • wooden spoon
    • small frying pan
    • large bowl
    • blender or food processor
    • small bowl

Ingredients
    • 1 c dry lentils, well rinsed
    • 2½ c water
    • ½ t salt
    • 1 T olive oil
    • ½ medium onion, diced
    • 1 medium carrot, diced
    • ½ t pepper
    • 1 t soy sauce, optional
    • ¾ c rolled oats, finely ground
    • ¾ c bread crumbs

Directions Place the lentils, water, and salt in saucepan, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until water is nearly gone and lentils are very soft, with splitting skins. Sauté the onion and carrot in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
    Mix the lentils, onions, carrots, pepper, and optional soy sauce in the large bowl, then mix in the ground oats and bread crumbs.
    While still warm, form the lentil mixture into patties, which can now be frozen, refrigerated [[for up to 5 days), or cooked immediately.
    Cooking [[2 possibilities):

1. In a frying pan, heat a bit of oil, place a burger on top, and fry until brown, 1-2 minutes. Repeat on other side and serve.
    2. In a 400º oven, bake the burgers on a greased baking sheet until light brown, about 15 minutes.
    One of the websites I've been searching for veggie and vegan recipes.
    http://www.theveggietable.com/recipe...ieburgers.html

This is an ancient recipe. It is said to be the dish that Jacob sold to Esau for his birthright. I love this served with yogurt to put on top. Some people use coarse bulghur wheat instead of rice. That's the grain used in tabbouleh. I like both recipes.

MJADRA [[Lentil Pottage)
    1 c. uncooked lentils
    4 c. water
    1 lg. onion, chopped
    1/2 c. olive oil
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. cumin
    Salt to taste
    1/2 c. uncooked rice

Rinse lentils and place in a pan with water. Boil for 20 minutes on medium fire. Saute chopped onions in oil. Add onions and residue, seasonings and rice to the lentils. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. May be eaten hot or cold. It thickens as it cools. ENJOY!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast