Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Happy Easter to my foodie pals!

On the menu today - cooking for youngest son and his family of 2 boys.

Shrimp cocktail
    Assorted cheese, pepperoni, grapes and cracker tray

Half ham now baking in 2 liters of Vernor's
    Baked rice casserole
    Green beans
    Beets
    Spinach/lettuce, berry salad with raspberry dressing
    Dinner rolls

Dessert - Cherry dump cake
    Boys can make their own Sundae if they want.

I think I may have posted this more to have a check list of sorts for myself!

Anyway, Happy Easter Egg!

MMMMM!

We are having kielbasa and kapusta [[sauteed shredded cabbage, chopped onions, white wine and sour cream, baked with parboiled kielbasa on top for about half an hour).
    A little bit of ham, baked sweets and Idahos, steamed sugar snap peas. A friend is bringing dessert so surprise! Son, friend and granddaughter will be here.

I'm about to make mustard rabbit with some roasted root vegetables. Cook and clean, good music, and do some design work. A lovely lovely Sunday.

It's that time of year again! I was just out weeding in my flowerbed and harvested a good bunch of garlic mustard. It's best to get them roots and all to prevent your garden being overrun by them. This afternoon I'll be making ...

Garlic Mustard Pesto

* 3 cups Garlic Mustard leaves, washed, patted dry, and packed in a measuring cup
    * 2 large garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
    * 1 cup Walnuts
    * 1 cup Olive Oil
    * 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
    * 1/4 cup grated Romano Cheese [[or more Parmesan)
    * Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine Garlic Mustard leaves, garlic and walnuts in food processor and chop. Or divide recipe in half and use a blender. With motor running, add olive oil slowly. Shut off motor. Add cheeses, salt & pepper. Process briefly to combine.

Serve warm over pasta or spread on crackers as a appetizer. It also makes a great topping for baked fish.

[[This is replacing the recipe I posted earlier today, wrong one!)
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-22-09 at 02:51 PM.

Oops, bumped the wrong one.

Chicken fried steak with country gravy again, [[be still, my beating heart). This is becoming a Friday night staple. I'll die with arteries coated with bread crumbs.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-09-09 at 06:05 AM.

Has anyone ever made cake frosting using instant pudding mix and Jiffy boxed frosting mix? I was thinking that putting the dry pudding mix into the frosting would make it better, then I realized that it would be really grainy. Looked on line for recipes and all of them said that you use Dream Whip or Cool Whip. I don't have those.

Would I be able to make the pudding mix with the milk its called for and then prepare the frosting mix and mix the two together? Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I was wondering where BigB has gotten to. Computer virus got him, he says. Well, here is a recipe for him, and I hope he will be back soon. This is a great pie that makes its own crust, of all things. I discovered that by accident since I left it about 20 minutes too long in the oven while talking on the phone to BigB.

CUSTARD RHUBARB CRISP
    Printed from COOKS.COM

FILLING MIXTURE
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c. cream
    1 1/2 c. sugar [[cut this down. 3/4 cups worked great for me)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    4 tbsp. flour
    4 c. cut rhubarb [[or any other fruit! Tonight I used 3 c blackberries)

CRISP MIXTURE:
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 c. oatmeal
    1/2 c. butter

Place fruit mixture in 8x8 pan or 8" pie pan. Cover with crisp mixture which has been crumbled. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. [[If you want it to make its own crust, try a glass pan and leave in for another 15-20 minutes)

I had a duck in my freezer, it was taking up a lot of room and it was going to get bad soon, so I roasted it and made a duck salad. At the end of the process I had a big bowl of delicious food and a good sized vat of duck fat, which is like gold around here.

Meat of 1 roasted duck [[about 4 cups) chopped
    1/2 sweet onion, slivered and chopped fine
    1 red pepper, chopped fine
    2 handfulls of sweet cherries, chopped
    1/2 cup of toasted, chopped pecans
    1/2 cup cooked and cooled wehani rice [[you could use brown or wild, but I love the nutty taste of the wehani)
    1 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar, but some on hand to adjust flavors
    salt and pepper
    Combine, let sit for about 15 minutes. Have crusty bread and a nice light red, a Cotes du Rhone was great, I bet a nice good rose would be very nice too.

Edited to add on a bed of baby romaine lettuce.
    Last edited by oldredfordette; June-20-09 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I was wondering where BigB has gotten to. Computer virus got him, he says. Well, here is a recipe for him, and I hope he will be back soon. This is a great pie that makes its own crust, of all things. I discovered that by accident since I left it about 20 minutes too long in the oven while talking on the phone to BigB.

CUSTARD RHUBARB CRISP
    Printed from COOKS.COM

FILLING MIXTURE
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c. cream
    1 1/2 c. sugar [[cut this down. 3/4 cups worked great for me)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    4 tbsp. flour
    4 c. cut rhubarb [[or any other fruit! Tonight I used 3 c blackberries)

CRISP MIXTURE:
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 c. oatmeal
    1/2 c. butter

Place fruit mixture in 8x8 pan or 8" pie pan. Cover with crisp mixture which has been crumbled. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. [[If you want it to make its own crust, try a glass pan and leave in for another 15-20 minutes)
    I want this NOW, but I just planted my rhubarb this spring, and like my raspberries, in two years, I'll be able to harvest my own, so a trip to Bloch's or Eureka Fruit Market on Monday might be in order.

Sorry, Eastern Market fans, I work weekends, so, I, no longer enjoy the shopping for veggies and fruits with an respite at Vivio's in the afternoon on Saturdays.

I still have elements of the virus on my computer, but thanks to Stosh I can be a part of the forum. Nothing to add as far as a recipe, but hey, I'm just a bachelor, easy to please.

Do any of our chefs on here know if butter can be substituted for shortening in a recipe for fried donuts? The recipe only calls for 1/4 cup. If so, have you personally tried it, and what were your results?

I googled my question, but I'm not real comfortable with the answers I found.

Hmmm. I often substitute different types of fats. You mean IN the recipe, right, not for frying?

yes in the recipe

HEre is an old-fashioned donut recipe that calls for butter: Does that help?
    Nutmeg Doughnuts

Sugar, 1 cup; butter, 1/2 cup; 4 eggs; flour, 3-1/2 cups; milk, 1 cup; cream of tartar, 2 teaspoonfuls; soda, 1 teaspoonful; salt, 1 teaspoonful; nutmeg, to taste. Directions: Beat sugar and eggs together, with the cream of tartar and butter in the flour; dissolve the soda in the milk, then add it to the eggs and sugar, then the flour; roll out thin, cut and fry in hot lard.

Thanks Gaz! I'll make those too! Hubby is bringing shortening home from his shopping trip, cause I am too chicken to try the butter substitute in the recipe I got from my sister-in-law! Her's turned out really good [[think Timbits), and I don't want to mess it up.

I've copied your recipe though and will try it. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Either way - this thread is alive once again!

This recipe is for a slow-cooker, but I don't see why you couldn't make it on the stove.

Pizza in a Bowl

2 - 14 1/2 oz. cans of diced tomatos w/roasted garlic
    1 - 14 1/2 oz. can beef broth
    6-8 oz. diced pepperoni [[see comments at end)
    1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 large diced green pepper
    1 large diced red onion
    1 cup water
    1 Tbsp Italian seasoning

1 cup shredded mozzarella
    large fresh croutons

Mix first eight ingredients in your slow-cooker.
    Cook on LOW for 6 - 8 hours.

This should give you about 6 generous servings.

My comments: The pepperoni makes the soup a little oily. I dropped a few large croutons in the bowl to soak up some of the oil.
    I suppose you could exchange some of your favorite pizza toppings, but remember not all vegetables fare as well in a slow-cooker. Olives will disintegrate and hot peppers may increase in heat over cooking time.

Enjoy!

Found this by accident, searching for some garden info.

I've made three batches so far, and it's a hit with everyone who's tasted it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/4-mi...colate-Mousse/

Instead of Amaretto, use Frangellico with hazelnut pieces and a raspberry...mmmmmmmmm!

Chris' crunchy mushroom medly

1/4 lb King Trumpet mushrooms sliced thin
    Saute with 1/4 stick of butter on medium heat
    Throw in handful of cashews, handful of pecans
    add 2-3 carrot sticks, chopped
    add tamari sauce to desired amount
    add 4-5 leaves of kale, chard, collard or beet green, torn
    Tear[[don't slice) 3 large shiitake caps and add
    add copious amount of garlic

Saute until king trumpets brown and the shiitake soak up the remaining butter

This is not cooking but just had to brag about what I created for supper tonight, inspired by Cub and the Georgia Street Garden.

I call this The Best of Metro Detroit's Bounty!

Dressing:
    About 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
    Some white vinegar
    teaspoon each of dried dill [[should have gotten fresh from Georgia Street!) dried parsley flakes, celery seed, red pepper flakes, and Splenda.
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
    Mix all together and let sit while you prepare the rest.

4 large tomatoes red and yellow cut in chunks from my Dad's garden
    1/2 sweet onion also cut in chunks from roadside stand in Essex County
    A bunch of ripped up leaves of fresh basil, green and purple, from Georgia Street
    Several seeds off the sprigs of fresh thyme from Georgia Street

Assemble all the above in a large bowl and pour the dressing over top and mix.

One good hunk of split Peppercorn Feta Cheese from Windsor Market
    A handful of black walnuts from a tree in Essex County
    2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread from bakery in Windsor
    2 teaspoons of fresh honey from bee farm in Essex County.

Place 1 slice toasted French bread on dinner plate, spoon tomato mixture on top, be sure to include some of the dressing. Crumble Feta cheese on top. Sprinkle black walnuts on top of that. Then drizzle a teaspoon of honey on top of that.

Did not use any salt because the Feta cheese is salty enough - did not use any pepper because the cheese was peppery enough.

Makes enough for 2 servings.

Enjoy!

Thank you Cub for the beautiful bouquet of basil. I've got it sitting in a vase in the kitchen and the aroma throughout the house is amazing!

It is harvest time, all right. I harvested from my upside down planter today, two tomatoes, one tiny chocolate pepper and a handful of basil leaves.

I had a taste for bruschetta, what to do, what to do?

I got some wonderful fresh Italian bread with sesame seeds from Holiday Market, also some Pont L'Eveque cheese and some cornichons and some olives and mushrooms.

So, I sliced the bread thick and put one slice into each of two pasta bowls, and spread generously with Trader Joe Red Pepper Spread. Topped that with slices of Pont L'Eveque. Then I made a meat sauce topper.

1/2 pound ground round
    1/2 small onion chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    About 6-10 basil leaves, chopped
    Brown the meat and saute the onion and garlic. Add some olive oil if needed. Add the sliced mushrooms and basil and sweat them a little. Add in about 1/2 cup of wine and 1 cup of milk, stir and simmer until it makes a nice sauce.

Now ladle the sauce over the bread and cheese. Top with sliced pepper and tomato. Put the cornichons and olives on the side.

This is a knife and fork dish. Enjoy.

More planter harvest!

Labor Day menu:

Steaks on the grill, great sale on Delmonicos, so I splurged.
    Baked sweet potatoes
    Corn on the cob
    Salad bar with three bean salad, cole slaw, sliced tomatoes from the garden and smoke whitefish spread
    Dessert, strawberry shortcake with fresh biscuits and strawberries and whipped cream

Three bean salad
    1 can each garbanzos, kidney or red beans, white beans drained and rinsed
    2 or more stalks celery, chopped
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    Garden harvest! 1/2 to 1cup chopped parsley and 1T chopped rosemary
    Dressing: 1T maple syrup, 3 T apple cider, 1/4 c olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
    Mix salad ingredients. Whisk together dressing ingredients, add to salad and toss together. Cover and chill at least an hour.

Smoked whitefish spread
    About 2 c smoked whitefish, flaked and deboned [[I try for Iocal smoked fish, it helps if you have relatives who catch and smoke fish)
    8 oz cream cheese, softened. Yes, lowfat works
    2 T grated onion
    1 T horseradish
    1T lemon juice
    Mix well, chill and serve with crackers or pita chips or croustades

UFO Guest

Neopolitan crepes

Make normal crepe batter, milk,eggs,flour,water,vanilla[[fresh bean)

take fresh chocolate pudding and spread on crepe, roll them up
    take thawed frozen strawberries and pour over top and put reddi whip on them

tastes just like neopolitan ice cream

yummo!

Fall is the time I like to experiment with new recipes. Had some good luck this fall so far until last night. Made chicken brocoli crepes from a recipe off the internet. It didn't taste bad but it looked disgusting. [[crepe stuffing was done in a blender). Threw it all out and haven't stopped apologizing for such a lousy meal.

Default Picallilli

I have acquired a jar of picallilli. I have heard of this but never eaten it or been anywhere where it was being eaten. I have a question. What kind of food do you serve it with?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast