Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Where can I search on old threads?
    I have been on here for nine years and can't seem to search an old thread.

Any thread on bike safety would help. Please give me a link and help.

Not bike related but...
    Searches [[and I'm pretty sure you know this) can be done when one screen is shown and at the bottom it has a link to "Search Forums" under the "Detroityes Navigation" window. To get to this styled page from here, go up to "Headlines" and hit "Aggregate" underneath it.

I used to think anything past 2007 was old, but now it is 2009. There is atdetroit.net:http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5/5.html and these older oneshttp://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/index.php. Good luck finding it.

Am I the only person that cannot do a hardboiled egg? I've You Tubed , Web searched, Pinned food articles, and googled countless times. and yet the guy at work can peel an egg in 10 seconds.

Trust me I've tried for 15 years. Are there any REAL eggperts?

Are you having problems boiling or just the peeling? A bit of vinegar in the water will help them not crack while boiling. And also make peeling easier. Also after boiling put the eggs into cool water to cool them down. Sumas would have the answer for sure. I miss her presence here......

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Am I the only person that cannot do a hardboiled egg? I've You Tubed , Web searched, Pinned food articles, and googled countless times. and yet the guy at work can peel an egg in 10 seconds.

Trust me I've tried for 15 years. Are there any REAL eggperts?
    Mom used to, and I do too, put them in cold water after they're done. Seems to help release the shell from the egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Are you having problems boiling or just the peeling? A bit of vinegar in the water will help them not crack while boiling. And also make peeling easier. Also after boiling put the eggs into cool water to cool them down. Sumas would have the answer for sure. I miss her presence here......
    Mom used to a splash of vinegar to the boiling water too. [[forgot about that)

Are you having problems boiling or just the peeling?
    Last time I followed an article from the Free Press food section for boiling and a You Tube video where you shake the egg in a half full glass of water to help peeling.
    It's the skin inside the shell that always gets me.

Last time I followed an article from the Free Press food section for boiling and a You Tube video where you shake the egg in a half full glass of water to help peeling.
    It's the skin inside the shell that always gets me.
    Correct-o-mundo, I don't know about the Y'all Tube whole lotta shakin' goin' on... but when you're done boiling your eggs, pour off the hot boiled water, than run cold tap water over the eggs for about 5 minutes or so, while they're in a pan. When the pouring water standing in the pan is cool to the touch, you're done. The cold shells and skin peel off the eggs easier.

I feel a hankering for an egg salad sandwich coming on......!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-28-16 at 09:01 PM.

Put the eggs in cold water in a pot with an inch of water above the eggs. Bring to a boil on high heat and then remove from heat. Let sit about 18 minutes and then drain and run under cold water.

Put the eggs in cold water in a pot with an inch of water above the eggs. Bring to a boil on high heat and then remove from heat. Let sit about 18 minutes and then drain and run under cold water.
    That's exactly what the freep article said. Didn't work. And I even used slightly older eggs like another article said.

That's exactly what the freep article said. Didn't work. And I even used slightly older eggs like another article said.
    Then try it....... my waaaaaay.

How do you know the age of an egg?
    One sure way to shell an egg without any difficulty is to get your mom to do it [[or your wife if you've moved on). Sitting on 'em takes too long [[especially if you have to do it while shaking a glass of water with vinegar on your bum).
    Of course you could always shell it before you cook it. [[but then you might have trouble breaking the yoke).

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    How do you know the age of an egg?
    Feathers are a dead give away......

What isn't working? Are they raw? Rubbery? Scrambled?
    What exactly are you trying to do?
    If it's the skin inside the egg, that's not going anywhere. It's part of the egg.

I just couldn't face an egg this morning. I had toast and marmalade so that I didn't have to shell or skin anything. It's made me feel calm to start the day [[now that egg will be older when I do eventually skin it)
    Last edited by coracle; August-30-16 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Feathers are a dead give away......
    I threw in the towel today, and bought peeled HB eggs at Kroger, 6 for the price of 12 raw eggs. I still get my egg salad samich, with a loss of dignity.

Now what do you think of the new Meijers delivery program? Same price as Amazon Prime but for groceries.

I have no transportation, but a Kroger whithin 1000' of me. I'm sick of their selection.
    I'll pay $100/yr + delivery for a better selection.

One question- Are they corporate vehicles, and are they on the clock? And do we tip?

Okay, that is three questions, and I have 1000 more for the election.

What isn't working? Are they raw? Rubbery? Scrambled?
    What exactly are you trying to do?
    If it's the skin inside the egg, that's not going anywhere. It's part of the egg.
    Whoh. Jcole, Calm down, It's only an egg or two or 10.

Just came back from Leo's, my new ma for breakfast.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-03-16 at 06:44 AM.

My recipe for English Trumpets is:

One part Trump

Four parts hair

2220# Hubris

1/4 part Sunkist orange glo

100% Areosol

And what I think about Hillary can't be printed here.

Yes It can, Hillary sucks, but not as much as Monica.

[[I know, leave her alone. It was just a Presidential cigar, maybe Cuban.)

Read the article in Time magazine this week about which one of the many Trumps is running for POTUS.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-03-16 at 07:54 AM.

^^^ That was so naughty on so many levels........

Bump. Appropriate-for-this-forum group thread moved to Chit Chat from the closed Non-Detroit forum.

Good idea! I've been wanting to make pickle soup. Anyone have a family recipe?

I want to make a good onion soup. With just a few veggies, almost like wonton... I adore onions so much!

Recipe anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I adore onions so much!
    Cooked onions: delicious
    Broiled onions: divine
    Raw onions: as bad as raw garlic

I don't understand who'd want that.

Symmetrically,

Cooked garlic: delicious
    Broiled garlic: divine
    Raw garlic: raw onions. Maybe I'm a vampire if the tale is true.

An onion / garlic / stinky veg tip, if you don't already know:
    After chopping the stinky bits, chop a tomato on the same cutting board.
    Sucks when fruit tastes like what the cutting board was used for before.
    Sucks when your fingers smell like that too.

My dad told a story about a tomato bath after upsetting a skunk and I thought it was just something his Italian mother did.
    But tomato juice really does make bad smells and tastes disappear.

Tomato also lifts crispy bits from the pan after caramelizing onions and garlic.
    Those crispy bits taste great dissolved into the sauce.

If only it worked as well on breath.
    Italian grandma advocated fresh parsley instead.
    [[Not convinced this advice is as good.)

BTW, Much worse than garlic breath: garlic powder breath.
    Does it stick to mucous membranes or something?? For how long???
    Pretty sure I've still stunk the stank two days later.
    Last edited by bust; December-06-20 at 05:33 PM.

Hah! I loved that... I prefer garlic granules over powder, or I just use fresh.

I find that onions can be used to invigorate frozen veggies when your fresh produce stocks are low. Example, I recently pulled out my freezer some frozen store-brought frozen Kale. Not the most interesting item, so I tossed in a skillet with a bit of olive oil, chopped up a generous amount fresh onions into it, added some slivers of fresh garlic [[I am a garlic maniac), a few frozen meatballs - seasonings, simmer a bit, bang fast dinner: one pot wonder!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast