Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I love pesto too, still have not put up my mustard leaves pesto, I'm having too much fun trying other things with the leaves. But, tomorrow will be the day.

Dinner tonight was awesome! I unearthed a small venison tenderloin from the freezer, thawed it in one hour on my copper trivet -- magical thing. Made pilaf of wild rice, chopped red sweet pepper, chopped asparagus, garlic mustard leaves cut in strips. This was a Pure Michigan spring dinner. No real recipe, I just used what I had, in this order:

Wild Rice, microwave method: 1 cup wild rice, 3 cups water. Heat on High for five minutes, to boiling or almost. Then cook on 50% power for 30 minutes. When it is done, take out the finished rice and leave covered while you finish up the rest.

While the rice is cooking, start browning the loin, then cook about 5-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Add in chopped red bell pepper and chopped asparagus stems. Let them cook awhile. The loin may end up cooking on low heat there for about 20 minutes. I cook everything slow like that.

Take the loin out and mix a cup or two of the rice in with the veggies, stir it up and get it good and hot. Stir in the chopped asparagus tops and the garlic mustard leaves cut in strips. Stir for a minute or two. This will be smelling fabulous. Make a hole or two in the mix and put the loin in. Mine was in two pieces. I added four steamed asparagus stalks on top to look pretty. I steamed them on the rice after I took it out of the microwave.

Baking advise someone? Went to eastern Market and got rhubarb. Used a simple recipe off the web. I mixed the sugar and flour but somehow the flour rose to the top crust. The crust and pie tastes good but looks awful with all that flour that rose to the top.

That has never happened to me, hmmm. Did you use the custard recipe with eggs? Did you dot the top of the pie with butter before putting the top crust on? Cut slits in the top crust? How much flour?

My regular non-custard BH&G recipe says to mix 4 c rhubarb, 1 2/3 c sugar [[I use 1 cup) 1/3 c flour and a dash of salt, then let stand 15 minutes. I think maybe the standing part starts the juice and helps bind the mixture. Put in pie shell, dot with 2 tablespoons butter, add top crust, crimp edges and slit to release steam. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes.

I think my recipe called for too much flour, also did not call for a touch of butter. Like I said tasted good but weird about the flour rising. I'll do your recipe next time. Actually I do not have much of a sweet tooth but still bake a lot, usually give it away. Must be in the blood, my Mom always had fresh baked desserts. Funny the older I get, the more like my Mom I become. Strange that when Mom passed at 91, my niece took all her cook books, recipes etc. My older sisters never cook, which is not an exaggeration, nor do my nieces. Not pouting, just find it strange.

I do make a great sour cream apple pie which is custard based. Took the last batch to a local health center. Janine didn't share and took both pies home. So now I need to make more. [[note: several area residents work there) Everyone is a little put out so the next batch I'll send with a neighbor who will make sure everyone gets some. They should not be too grumpy though, at Easter I sent spinach cheese pie, a greek salad, homemade rolls and cookies.

Sigh! I obviously have too much time on my hands.

Was at the new Parkway on Jefferson and bought "flaming hot chicken strips, Tyson brand" was a little leery but tried them last night. Very good, the burn is slow to hit the palette but was diffidently there.

Have company coming and will use the strips in a sandwich I like. Spiced or blackened chicken strips on a croissant with swiss cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and dressing. Green Goddess is best but ranch works fine too. Escalloped potatoes [[home made), cauliflower/broccoli slaw and home made oatmeal cookies. Simple meal but really good stuff.

Actually I use the internet alot for inspiration and recipes.

I love good and I love easy. I was actually looking for a foil wrapped fish, cheese and shrimp recipe and came across this. 5 minute prep time perked my eyes and ears.

Foil wrapped baked fish: any firm white fish works [[I used cod)

Brush fish with olive oil and melted butter. Liberally spice with any lemon pepper seasoning.
    On foil place one thick slice onion, put seasoned fish on onion and top with 1 slice real lemon
    Seal tightly, Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes

It was excellent and so easy.

I'm feeling that Sumas - yummy! Where'd you get the fish? I'm always looking for new places to get good fish, frozen or fresh [[not from China).

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm feeling that Sumas - yummy! Where'd you get the fish? I'm always looking for new places to get good fish, frozen or fresh [[not from China).
    Old enough to say the fish markets I went to over the years to are pretty much no more. No point in mourning whats gone. I have never been able to fry battered fish or chicken, always tasted fine but looks shabby. My mom was a farmers daughter and her fried chicken and fish were always spectacular. I learned so much from her regarding baking and cooking but never got the knack of that.

Got my fresh fish from Indian Village market on Jefferson. They are not consistant in supply though. Well I guess the method mentioned is much healtheir. It was really good.

I print out recipes from the net, I have a clip board, print and try a recipe, make notes on the sheet modifying to our taste. If I make it a second time and if I like it, I transfer to an index card and file.

I so hear you about food, personal product from China. Only once did I buy dog treats from China. All three dogs were barfing for two days. Not pretty.

I am always a little surprised at Dollar Tree. Most food products are Usa and I do pay attention to source countries. Went with a neighbor today, I needed wood matches. He needed a few things too. I saw this product, a packet of long grain white rice, they also had multi grain, nuke in package 45 seconds. I was intrigued by the package.98% fat free, vegan,no preservatives no artifcial colors or preservatives, Gluten free, cholesterol free, no high fructose corn syrup. Rice grown in Spain packaged processed in India. Nuke or stove top.

Thought why not, only a buck. I was making spinach cheese pie, greek salad, rolls and a sauce for rice.

Dang it was really good, Squeeze package, tear half the top, nuke for 45 seconds. I also liked the disclaimer that it is made in a plant that also processes almond, walnut, peanut and pecan products. For people with serious allergies the possible dust contamination shows responsible manufacturing.. I will definitely buy more. Label is Farmers Table Grains
    Last edited by sumas; December-28-14 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    ... I so hear you about food, personal product from China. Only once did I buy dog treats from China. All three dogs were barfing for two days. Not pretty.
    I did some fairly deep research into that problem about six years ago.

I'm glad I snagged a copy of the story in that one post because DetNews dropped the ball. Naughty, naughty link rot, DetNews.

The most appalling thing about the story was that the only reason there was any poison at all in the pet food was to fool a protein test to make a few extra bucks. It was a deliberate act. I vaguely recall that the culprit was caught.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-28-14 at 10:26 PM.

I have become fascinated with Dollar Tree which I call the Dollar Dollar store., food products. Some food products come and go, some are always in stock. My husband likes their ginger snaps and lemon bar. Always buy their frozen hot pretzel bites. Have tried some of their frozen appetizers with mixed success. They had an awesome horseradish sauce which I bought in volume, good thing, no longer in stock. Went to On the rise bakery with friends for sandwiches took a bottle with me. They went and bought several jars too.

I split posts often, I get busy and time out on posts. Bought some personal pizza crusts there [[2 in a package) and some Brushetta tomato topping from there too. Eating it now, made only one. Brushed the crust with grapeseed oil and minced garlic. layered pepperoni bought there added some toppings we like and of course cheese. My husband and I split the one we made. We are in separate but adjacent rooms and I hear his voice, buy more. He is a bit fussy. The crust was decent the marinara excellent. Very good snack cheao and all US product

Yes, I've been happily surprised to find some very simple, low or no processed food at DT! About a month ago the had the Sugar In The Raw brand raw sugar packets boxed. Then recently in their frozen section they had Pot Stickers with a list of about five ingredients made in the USA. Similar I have found low processed frozen Spring Rolls. Incredible.

Scary they have alot of food-stuffs straight from China that I will not touch. If I find a particularly good item I buy multiple as it may be a one-time deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I have become fascinated with Dollar Tree which I call the Dollar Dollar store., food products. Some food products come and go, some are always in stock. My husband likes their ginger snaps and lemon bar. Always buy their frozen hot pretzel bites. Have tried some of their frozen appetizers with mixed success. They had an awesome horseradish sauce which I bought in volume, good thing, no longer in stock. Went to On the rise bakery with friends for sandwiches took a bottle with me. They went and bought several jars too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The most appalling thing about the story was that the only reason there was any poison at all in the pet food was to fool a protein test to make a few extra bucks. It was a deliberate act. I vaguely recall that the culprit was caught.
    Yeah a friend lost her dog to that madness. Though very tragic this issue served as an early indicator of what comes out of China. I no longer eat any Talapia fish coming out of there.

Dollar tree has this wonderful coconut candy made in Orlando. Worth a try, they come two to a package and one is a good size treat by itself, so easy to share with that significant other. Anastasia Confections Creamy Coconut Patties. It's hard to find any but Original, Classic Original and Key Lime, but they do also make Rum, Pina Colada, Almond and Orange Flavored Coconut Patties.

^^^ Grand! Another treat to look for when at DT. Thanks for the tip......

Here is another DT product I tried. Old fashioned peppered gravy mix. Basically a milk gravy mix. Add water, heat stir. It was thick and creamy but very bland. I added [[oven baked fried chicken recipe off the web)dripping from the pan, lots of pepper and a touch of salt. It was great!

It did make loads of gravy. about 3 1/2 cups with our additions

Hello people. Craving new recipes! Input,Input, Wlll Robinson!

Expected some company today and didn't show. Bad back and too much pain killers apparently. No issues, everything can be held over although i am drooling.

Sea food crepes in a morney sauce, parmesan potato puffs, musclin salad with crumble blue cheese and a flavored balsamic vinegar sauce, homemade bread and and cheese cake for dessert.

I don't usually go all that high end but our friend will be having major surgery next week and will recover here. Seriously hope it isn't the last supper.

So tonight we will eat stuffed home made cabagge, instant mashed and canned green beans. I make this stuff, package and freeze it and share with friends and neighbors. I guess we get first dibs for tonight, Rather eat the crepes though. Tomorrow apparently.

The other day I noticed a tree in southwest Utica with tubes running into buckets. I assumed it was someone making maple syrup.

Today someone was standing in that yard so I pulled in and asked him about the tree. He said, yes, he was making maple syrup but better yet, he was also tapping a nearby walnut tree to make "even better" walnut syrup.

After a Google search I learned that walnut syrup is apparently a very prized delicacy!

Walnut syrup sounds interesting. Have a friend coming for dinner/lunch and am clean out of ideas. My kitchen is always a bit messy. Bless my husband who does dishes if I cook. I hate washing dishes.

Maybe omelettes or enchiladas. Huevos rancheros?

Nope, now I am thinking clearer, feel asleep early, TV not working, now wide awake. Mediteranian hamburgers, a cranberry salad, potato puffs, seared zuchinni in olive oil and spices. Sinful fattening shortbread cookies.

We had grilled wild caught salmon fillets and cauliflower "mac" and cheese. Green salad for color contrast.

Steam cauliflorets [[about a cup per person) about five minutes.

Make a white sauce with whole milk and butter, enough to stir cauliflorets into.

First stir in your favorite grated cheddar, grated parmesan and crumbled gorgonzola about 2/3 cup each.

Then stir in cauliflorets, pour into baking dish, top with a mix of 1/3 cup of each of the cheeses.

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. It was a big hit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The other day I noticed a tree in southwest Utica with tubes running into buckets. I assumed it was someone making maple syrup.

Today someone was standing in that yard so I pulled in and asked him about the tree. He said, yes, he was making maple syrup but better yet, he was also tapping a nearby walnut tree to make "even better" walnut syrup.

After a Google search I learned that walnut syrup is apparently a very prized delicacy!
    I have to to look into that one. Do maple syrup but never heard of walnut syrup. Sounds good and I have access to a large number of walnut trees.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    We had grilled wild caught salmon fillets and cauliflower "mac" and cheese. Green salad for color contrast.

Steam cauliflorets [[about a cup per person) about five minutes.

Make a white sauce with whole milk and butter, enough to stir cauliflorets into.

First stir in your favorite grated cheddar, grated parmesan and crumbled gorgonzola about 2/3 cup each.

Then stir in cauliflorets, pour into baking dish, top with a mix of 1/3 cup of each of the cheeses.

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. It was a big hit here.
    Sound heavenly, we eat little meat but adore cheese. Because of health issues my husband needs five small meals a day. Always looking for ideas for cooking. I do praise my husband for doing dishes, I am a messy cook. I am no Julia Childe but don't see anyone turn down my offerings.

Did buy a gas grille last summer and also have a kettle grill. Used the gas grille maybe twice last year. Any grill advice is welcome. My grill skills are limited. The guys always did that, but now on me. Help!!!!!!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast