Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I was wondering where BigB has gotten to. Computer virus got him, he says. Well, here is a recipe for him, and I hope he will be back soon. This is a great pie that makes its own crust, of all things. I discovered that by accident since I left it about 20 minutes too long in the oven while talking on the phone to BigB.

CUSTARD RHUBARB CRISP
    Printed from COOKS.COM

FILLING MIXTURE
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c. cream
    1 1/2 c. sugar [[cut this down. 3/4 cups worked great for me)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    4 tbsp. flour
    4 c. cut rhubarb [[or any other fruit! Tonight I used 3 c blackberries)

CRISP MIXTURE:
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 c. oatmeal
    1/2 c. butter

Place fruit mixture in 8x8 pan or 8" pie pan. Cover with crisp mixture which has been crumbled. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. [[If you want it to make its own crust, try a glass pan and leave in for another 15-20 minutes)
    I want this NOW, but I just planted my rhubarb this spring, and like my raspberries, in two years, I'll be able to harvest my own, so a trip to Bloch's or Eureka Fruit Market on Monday might be in order.

Sorry, Eastern Market fans, I work weekends, so, I, no longer enjoy the shopping for veggies and fruits with an respite at Vivio's in the afternoon on Saturdays.

I still have elements of the virus on my computer, but thanks to Stosh I can be a part of the forum. Nothing to add as far as a recipe, but hey, I'm just a bachelor, easy to please.

Do any of our chefs on here know if butter can be substituted for shortening in a recipe for fried donuts? The recipe only calls for 1/4 cup. If so, have you personally tried it, and what were your results?

I googled my question, but I'm not real comfortable with the answers I found.