Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Food again - the Dyes cooking thread.

I'll start since we won't be able to post on the other one after Wednesday.

City Chicken recipe

time to make 1¾ hours 35 min prep
    Change to: servings US Metric
    1 lb veal tenderloins, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
    1 lb pork tenderloins, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup saltines, medium crushed
    3 tablespoons oil
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons water

Not the one? See other Grandma's City Chicken Recipes

* < 4 hours
    * Pork Loins
    * High Protein

1. Thread veal cubes onto 8 6-inch skewers, pushing pieces tightly together. In bowl, mix together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
    2. Place cracker crumbs in zip lock baggie. Dip meat into egg mixture, then coat in cracker mixture.
    3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the meat about 4 minutes until browned on all sides.
    4. Place chicken in glass baking dish.
    5. In small bowl, stir together the flour and water until smooth. Combine with broth and pour over chicken.
    6. Cover Chicken with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour. Remove foil for last 10 minutes.

2 lbs pork tenderloins, cut into 1 inch cubes
    2 lbs veal, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 cup flour
    2 tablespoons grated pasta cheese
    1 clove garlic
    1 cup dry breadcrumbs [[omit cheese and garlic if using seasoned bread crumbs.)
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 cups chicken broth
    salt and pepper
    oil [[for browing meat)

Not the one? See other John's City Chicken Recipes

1. Place alternative pieces of pork and veal on wooden skewers until 6 pieces are used.
    2. Mix parsley into eggs.
    3. Roll meat into flour, then egg-parsley mixture and then breadcrumbs.
    4. Brown on all sides in hot oil.
    5. Place in large baking pan and add chicken broth.
    6. Cover and bake at 325º for 2 hours, basting occasionally.

7. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Thanks for starting this back up, Big.

I got nothing special tonight, just baked some chicken legs and made a little Israeli couscous "risotto".

Glad to see you back on Red. I've been back and forth all day on the forums. Re-did my profile too. Make sure you read up on security !

mmmmm - the Hickory and Brown Sugar Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce is to DYE - DIE for! Browned some boneless country ribs in the oven and baked them for about an hour. Added the sauce and put the cover back on and let them bake about 45 minutes. Delicious! Mr. Erie had seconds! - we're happy

Default Hi

Just wanted to say hi and hope all is well for everyone. Guess I will start by asking if anyone is doing anything cool food-wise for Easter/Passover?
    New job is good, but have not worked this hard since 1999, not sure what that means, but at 52, it feels like someone threw me in the back of a truck [[saw that happen once at Weber's)....anyways, sincerely hope you are all having a good week, good month so far.

"but have not worked this hard since 1999"

Hardy like it's 1999. The old peoples anthem.

A Magyar treat:

Lekvar and noodles.

Cook some egg noodles.
    When done, drain, return to pan. Add some lekvar [[prune butter) , bread crumbs, cottage [[or farmers') cheese, sugar, mix and heat until warm.

Don't tell Mom, but I've made this
    also with strawberry jam, and apple butter, all made a quick delicious dessert.

"Let's not lose it again." Borrowed from the old thread.

Jams - I've never had that noodle dish - sounds delicious. But have had "Halushka" - egg noodles with cottage cheese, as a side dish. My dad loves that. Every once in a while I get a taste for it. Hummmm...maybe I'll fix some this week!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    A Magyar treat:

Lekvar and noodles.

Cook some egg noodles.
    When done, drain, return to pan. Add some lekvar [[prune butter) , bread crumbs, cottage [[or farmers') cheese, sugar, mix and heat until warm.

Don't tell Mom, but I've made this
    also with strawberry jam, and apple butter, all made a quick delicious dessert.
    That's similar to a dish my brother-in-law's mother used to make with cottage cheese, noodles, and bread crumbs.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thanks, everyone. betterhalf will love it.

I was wondering where BigB has gotten to. Computer virus got him, he says. Well, here is a recipe for him, and I hope he will be back soon. This is a great pie that makes its own crust, of all things. I discovered that by accident since I left it about 20 minutes too long in the oven while talking on the phone to BigB.

CUSTARD RHUBARB CRISP
    Printed from COOKS.COM

FILLING MIXTURE
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c. cream
    1 1/2 c. sugar [[cut this down. 3/4 cups worked great for me)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    4 tbsp. flour
    4 c. cut rhubarb [[or any other fruit! Tonight I used 3 c blackberries)

CRISP MIXTURE:
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 c. oatmeal
    1/2 c. butter

Place fruit mixture in 8x8 pan or 8" pie pan. Cover with crisp mixture which has been crumbled. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. [[If you want it to make its own crust, try a glass pan and leave in for another 15-20 minutes)

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I was wondering where BigB has gotten to. Computer virus got him, he says. Well, here is a recipe for him, and I hope he will be back soon. This is a great pie that makes its own crust, of all things. I discovered that by accident since I left it about 20 minutes too long in the oven while talking on the phone to BigB.

CUSTARD RHUBARB CRISP
    Printed from COOKS.COM

FILLING MIXTURE
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c. cream
    1 1/2 c. sugar [[cut this down. 3/4 cups worked great for me)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    4 tbsp. flour
    4 c. cut rhubarb [[or any other fruit! Tonight I used 3 c blackberries)

CRISP MIXTURE:
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 c. oatmeal
    1/2 c. butter

Place fruit mixture in 8x8 pan or 8" pie pan. Cover with crisp mixture which has been crumbled. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. [[If you want it to make its own crust, try a glass pan and leave in for another 15-20 minutes)
    I want this NOW, but I just planted my rhubarb this spring, and like my raspberries, in two years, I'll be able to harvest my own, so a trip to Bloch's or Eureka Fruit Market on Monday might be in order.

Sorry, Eastern Market fans, I work weekends, so, I, no longer enjoy the shopping for veggies and fruits with an respite at Vivio's in the afternoon on Saturdays.

I still have elements of the virus on my computer, but thanks to Stosh I can be a part of the forum. Nothing to add as far as a recipe, but hey, I'm just a bachelor, easy to please.

Do any of our chefs on here know if butter can be substituted for shortening in a recipe for fried donuts? The recipe only calls for 1/4 cup. If so, have you personally tried it, and what were your results?

I googled my question, but I'm not real comfortable with the answers I found.

I had a duck in my freezer, it was taking up a lot of room and it was going to get bad soon, so I roasted it and made a duck salad. At the end of the process I had a big bowl of delicious food and a good sized vat of duck fat, which is like gold around here.

Meat of 1 roasted duck [[about 4 cups) chopped
    1/2 sweet onion, slivered and chopped fine
    1 red pepper, chopped fine
    2 handfulls of sweet cherries, chopped
    1/2 cup of toasted, chopped pecans
    1/2 cup cooked and cooled wehani rice [[you could use brown or wild, but I love the nutty taste of the wehani)
    1 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar, but some on hand to adjust flavors
    salt and pepper
    Combine, let sit for about 15 minutes. Have crusty bread and a nice light red, a Cotes du Rhone was great, I bet a nice good rose would be very nice too.

Edited to add on a bed of baby romaine lettuce.
    Last edited by oldredfordette; June-20-09 at 09:07 AM.

Hmmm. I often substitute different types of fats. You mean IN the recipe, right, not for frying?

yes in the recipe

HEre is an old-fashioned donut recipe that calls for butter: Does that help?
    Nutmeg Doughnuts

Sugar, 1 cup; butter, 1/2 cup; 4 eggs; flour, 3-1/2 cups; milk, 1 cup; cream of tartar, 2 teaspoonfuls; soda, 1 teaspoonful; salt, 1 teaspoonful; nutmeg, to taste. Directions: Beat sugar and eggs together, with the cream of tartar and butter in the flour; dissolve the soda in the milk, then add it to the eggs and sugar, then the flour; roll out thin, cut and fry in hot lard.

Thanks Gaz! I'll make those too! Hubby is bringing shortening home from his shopping trip, cause I am too chicken to try the butter substitute in the recipe I got from my sister-in-law! Her's turned out really good [[think Timbits), and I don't want to mess it up.

I've copied your recipe though and will try it. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Either way - this thread is alive once again!

This recipe is for a slow-cooker, but I don't see why you couldn't make it on the stove.

Pizza in a Bowl

2 - 14 1/2 oz. cans of diced tomatos w/roasted garlic
    1 - 14 1/2 oz. can beef broth
    6-8 oz. diced pepperoni [[see comments at end)
    1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 large diced green pepper
    1 large diced red onion
    1 cup water
    1 Tbsp Italian seasoning

1 cup shredded mozzarella
    large fresh croutons

Mix first eight ingredients in your slow-cooker.
    Cook on LOW for 6 - 8 hours.

This should give you about 6 generous servings.

My comments: The pepperoni makes the soup a little oily. I dropped a few large croutons in the bowl to soak up some of the oil.
    I suppose you could exchange some of your favorite pizza toppings, but remember not all vegetables fare as well in a slow-cooker. Olives will disintegrate and hot peppers may increase in heat over cooking time.

Enjoy!

Found this by accident, searching for some garden info.

I've made three batches so far, and it's a hit with everyone who's tasted it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/4-mi...colate-Mousse/

Instead of Amaretto, use Frangellico with hazelnut pieces and a raspberry...mmmmmmmmm!

More planter harvest!

Labor Day menu:

Steaks on the grill, great sale on Delmonicos, so I splurged.
    Baked sweet potatoes
    Corn on the cob
    Salad bar with three bean salad, cole slaw, sliced tomatoes from the garden and smoke whitefish spread
    Dessert, strawberry shortcake with fresh biscuits and strawberries and whipped cream

Three bean salad
    1 can each garbanzos, kidney or red beans, white beans drained and rinsed
    2 or more stalks celery, chopped
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    Garden harvest! 1/2 to 1cup chopped parsley and 1T chopped rosemary
    Dressing: 1T maple syrup, 3 T apple cider, 1/4 c olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
    Mix salad ingredients. Whisk together dressing ingredients, add to salad and toss together. Cover and chill at least an hour.

Smoked whitefish spread
    About 2 c smoked whitefish, flaked and deboned [[I try for Iocal smoked fish, it helps if you have relatives who catch and smoke fish)
    8 oz cream cheese, softened. Yes, lowfat works
    2 T grated onion
    1 T horseradish
    1T lemon juice
    Mix well, chill and serve with crackers or pita chips or croustades

UFO Guest

Neopolitan crepes

Make normal crepe batter, milk,eggs,flour,water,vanilla[[fresh bean)

take fresh chocolate pudding and spread on crepe, roll them up
    take thawed frozen strawberries and pour over top and put reddi whip on them

tastes just like neopolitan ice cream

yummo!

Fall is the time I like to experiment with new recipes. Had some good luck this fall so far until last night. Made chicken brocoli crepes from a recipe off the internet. It didn't taste bad but it looked disgusting. [[crepe stuffing was done in a blender). Threw it all out and haven't stopped apologizing for such a lousy meal.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast