Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Also need more recipes for fish. Never my forte. My foil fish was easy and good but variety is needed. We like spices but when it comes to fish, I draw blanks.

This salmon recipe was incredible easy and went over big with family and guests.

Slow-Baked Salmon with Lemon and Thyme for four

1.5 T evoo [[1T + 1/2T)
    4 skin on 6-8 oz salmon filets
    1 T chopped fresh thyme
    zest of 1 lemon [[cut the lemon in wedges to serve with salmon after zesting)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375.
    Line rimmed baking sheet with foil and brush with 1/2 T evoo
    Put salmon, skin side down, on the foil
    Mix 1T evoo, thyme and lemon zest, spread over salmon
    Season with salt and pepper
    Let stand 10 minutes for flavor blending\

Bake 15-18 minutes [[really slow, huh?), until just opaque in center.

Serve with lemon wedges.

If you do not have the fresh lemon and thyme, I would try this anyway, with the best substitutes I could find. OK Jarred lemon zest and thyme, maybe a little more. Fresh basil and jarred zest. Dill and zest.

Thank you Gaz, sounds good, but no clue what Evoo is. Love Thyme and grow it fresh in summer months. Dry my own and discard in late spring. My husband has a good source for fresh fish near EM. Never cooked salmon before but there is always a first.

Very late start today but am trying to get down to Eastern Market before 1 pm. Also looking for recipes for swiss chard. I grow it a bit but mostly because it's so pretty.

Got unlazy and looked up Evoo. Extra virgin olive oil. A staple here. If I can get fresh salmon, will try today.

Get wild caught if you can. I might try try this with other fish, too. It couldn't be simpler.

My dogs cleaned up the foil so I could recycle it, hate throwing that stuff in the garbage.

Got lazy, went to EM and someone was selling smoked white fish and also creamed herring. To me, yech, to Ron, heaven!

Ron, in the car with two of our dogs and todays paper with no hard news. Will do the salmon recipe Monday. Order placed.

On the positive, bought rhubarb and strawberries. Pie tonight. Red seedless grapes, apples, lemons, baby spinach, asparagus also. Love the market. A little cold today and resisted buying flowers or plants which is very hard for me. Frankly, I am a total plant whore.

Mmm, smoked whitefish and Ritz Crackers, a total treat!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Mmm, smoked whitefish and Ritz Crackers, a total treat!
    You and Ron would get along. I am not very adventursome with food but deny Ron nothing. Zimne Nogi [[pigs feet in aspic), Kiczka [[blood sausage) or Czarnina [[ducks blood soup) are all high on his list.

My rhubarb/strawberry pies were a bit soupy, one set nice, one didn't. The recipe called for corn starch as a thickener but maybe I should have used tapioca

I use plain old white flour as a thickener, but since I never use strawberries, maybe mine are not so juicy with just the rhubarb. I can hardly wait for the rhubarb to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Got lazy, went to EM and someone was selling smoked white fish and also creamed herring. To me, yech, to Ron, heaven!
    Hmmm, I tend to like fish flavors like salmon creamed cheese so this sounds like a winner!

Apparently Ma Cohen, a division of Seafare Food, is a Detroit based Kosher company. The list of fish is extensive. They ship too. Ron did a search on their website and lists locations [[sources for fish), wild caught etc. Sending a selection to his relatives along with Shrodeks horseradish. Still say yech but to each their own. Ron loves this stuff and seeing as how he needs to eat 5 times a day.....

I do agree that the strawberries probably made the pies runny. Won't do again. Gooseberries might be a good blend. My Mom used flour too. My sisters have my Mom's recipes. Funny, none cook and all are quite fat, won't give up the recipes though. Family is a funny thing, took care of Mom for her last 7 yrs, she passed at 91 and my family could care less about me and my husband now? Fortunately my husbands family is awesome.

Mostly I cook/bake and give stuff away to neighbors and friends. Something to do in winter months.

One of my nieces think I should do catering but that is work, not a labor of love.
    Last edited by sumas; March-29-15 at 11:12 PM.

Yeah, once one moves to the 'catering' end of food, you'll be doing less cooking and more food service business activities. Ehhhh...

Default Not a new thread, but all I could find on food.

I bought bacon flavourd spam recently. Do I pair it with locally produced bourbon, or roll around it with my garbage?
    Sorry Llowell I looked for the food thread.
    Erie Dearie I miss you.

Lowell - please move when you can.
    Last edited by Bigb23; October-14-15 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I bought bacon flavourd spam recently. Do I psame stair it with locally produced bourbon, or roll around it with my garbage?
    Sorry Llowell I looked for the food thread.
    Erie Dearie I miss you.

Lowell - please move when you can.
    We now have food hacks circa 2015, several are freshman cool, the rest are crap. The best?
    Crumpled aluminum foil.
    Why did'nt I think of that back in 75?
    The rest is common sense. Their bad.
    My cool beats your cool.

Here's the old thread. It's under Connections.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...highlight=food

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Here's the old thread. It's under Connections.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...highlight=food
    Pam - Where are ErieDearie and Old Redfordette? Good to see you post too. Thanks, Carol CB

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    Pam - Where are ErieDearie and Old Redfordette? Good to see you post too. Thanks, Carol CB
    I don't know. Haven't seen either of them post in a long time.

Spam comes in mad flavors now. I could not believe it when I found the Spam shelf the other day.

• Spam Classic – original flavor
    • Spam Hot & Spicy – with Tabasco flavor
    • Jalapeño Spam
    • Spam with Black Pepper
    • Spam Low Sodium – "25% less sodium"
    • Spam Lite – "33% fewer calories, 25% less sodium, and 50% less fat" – made from pork shoulder meat, ham, and mechanically separated chicken
    • Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
    • Spam Hickory Smoked
    • Spam Spread – "if you're a spreader, not a slicer ... just like Spam Classic, but in a spreadable form"
    • Spam Bacon
    • Spam Cheese
    • Spam Garlic
    • Spam Teriyaki
    • Spam Chorizo
    • Spam Macadamia Nuts - Partnered with Hamakua Plantation
    • Spam Turkey
    • Spam Tocino
    • Spam Portuguese Sausage

I got one of the flavors to try soon, and then I had go find Velveeta to go with it. I've decided in the 50s we were far more addicted to salt than sugar.

Now, what do I do with all this Velveeta?

I have Spam bacon flavor in my cupboard now. I guess if you fry anything enough you can't go wrong.
    As far as food, everything is fast/canned for me now. I lost my cooking soul.
    Post some easy bachelor recipies that hold my interest for more than five minutes.
    No dog chow with water - that's too easy.

Gaz-
    You can't go wrong with Velveeta and shells. What kind of crack are they putting in that to keep me addicted for 60 years?

Where is the new/old school mock chicken around Rottenchester? My Kroger never carries it. Try it, it will sell.

Thank you Pam. I appreciate your answer. Enjoy the weather.

Default Bumpsy!

It's getting to that time of year again. While working in your yard, watch for that tasty invasive weed, Garlic Mustard.

Garlic Mustard Pesto

* 3 cups Garlic Mustard leaves, washed, patted dry, and packed in a measuring cup
    * 2 large garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
    * 1 cup Walnuts
    * 1 cup Olive Oil
    * 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
    * 1/4 cup grated Romano Cheese [[or more Parmesan)
    * Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine GarlicMustard leaves, garlic and walnuts in food processor and chop. Or divide recipe in half and use a blender. With motor running, add olive oil slowly. Shut off motor. Add cheeses, salt & pepper. Process briefly to combine.

Serve warm over pasta or spread on crackers as a appetizer. It also makes a great topping for baked fish.

While the traditional recipe calls for basil, i prefer to make it with parsley. this one sounds really good though. i will have to give it a try.

I mostly don't cook anymore, but can we use this thread for those that do it for a living?

I have tried two chain restaurants recently, and was really disappointed at the quality/price points.

Leo's Coney, it's up to you.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-16-16 at 12:40 PM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast