Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Detroit slang?

In the last two or three years I have noticed the emergence in frequency of the phrase, "I'm good." I am not sure if this is local and or beyond Detroit. It reminds me of how, "Go for it" emerged a couple decades back. Or did just not noticed before?

Context:

"Would you like another [piece of pie, beer, toke, game..]"

"I'm good" = [No thank you, I've had enough.]

Relatives "I'm cool" "I'm fine"

Detroit is the only place I ever heard anyone use the term "buster" in a slang/offensive sort of way. Kwame was called a "buster" at least 30 times a day by my AA co-workers.

Kwame Kilpatrick ain't nuttin but a buster...f^%k him, yo

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    In the last two or three years I have noticed the emergence in frequency of the phrase, "I'm good." I am not sure if this is local and or beyond Detroit. It reminds me of how, "Go for it" emerged a couple decades back. Or did just not noticed before?...

"I'm good" = [No thank you, I've had enough.]
    I find myself using "I'm good" whenever a waitress offers more coffee. I often wonder whether she understands but in that context, what else would it mean? I suspect it's a variant of "you're good to go."

I love finding neologisms. A good website for this hobby is Wordspy. I'm sure everyone's already familiar with UrbanDictionary. Anyone know of others?

"Hey Now"

On tour with the Grateful Dead this was probably the most common way of acknowledging someone you know in the lot or at the show. I hear it all the time now on the street and has become my regular greeting.

^^
    Hank Kingsley on the Larry Sanders show, always said "Hey now".

Stromberg2

"What munt is your burphday?" [[Rhetorical question.)

"I stay on East Grand Bullyard." ouch

Similar. The sueders were the burnouts, named for the black, suede Kinney boots they wore -- the black GASS [[Great American Shoe Store) boots.

lol.... we were also gels!

In the 60s if things weren't going well for you, you might say you were " shot through the grease".

Ive heard a new one recently, "Lollies" as in excellent marijuana. My GF remembers hearing an L as a joint and wonder if theres a relation.

Anyone?
    Anyone?

My girl was in the Hamtramck courthouse today waiting on the benches to be seen about a traffic ticket. "Karma gonna bite yo ass in da ass" was heard by a woman venting while also waiting outside the courtroom to be seen by a judge.

"You better don't" is still my favorite though.

"The whip" is apparently your car. Im not sure if it has to have chrome 22"s on it or not. "Oh snap, I left my phone in the whip"

Back in middle school, earlier 1980s the whip meant "cool" or "the best". "Those shoes are the whip!"

Quote Originally Posted by jcdfde5 View Post
    "shut that light off"
    I never got that one?
    "Dat lite stil' burnin'?" [[a Thumb-ism?)

"Dis ... dat ... deez ... doze" = This ... that ... these ... those

"pungle up..." = pay up

"pie-eyed in love"

Great thread ... memories ...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Detroit is the only place I ever heard anyone use the term "buster" in a slang/offensive sort of way. Kwame was called a "buster" at least 30 times a day by my AA co-workers.

Kwame Kilpatrick ain't nuttin but a buster...f^%k him, yo
    Buster came from the West Coast in the early 90's. Watch any hood movie i.e. Boyz in the Hood or Menace II Society and you'll see

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Rarely used, but when used, indicates overflowing joy - "In like Flynn."

This phrase, strictly speaking, may not be absolutely D unique, but I do know for sure that when uttered in that D, there is connection to the old Errol Flynns.

Example:

"So, Gg, did you land that huge sludge removal contract?"

Me - "Hell yeah. Shit, I'm in like Flynn, baby."
    G'day, my name is Cecil and I am from Australia and came across this quote while surfing the net. Hope you don't mind if I set you blokes straight on the correct meaning.
    'In like Flynn' - is referring to the world renowned Aussie actor of the early 1900's, Errol Flynn. He was from the state of Tasmania, Australia. He was also well known as a ladies man. Hence the saying 'in like Flynn.' We use it like this, you would say to your mate 'saw you out with that good looking Sheila last night mate' he would reply 'yeah mate I was in like Flynn.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/198700.html

Cheers. Cecil
    Last edited by Cecil; May-08-17 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    G'day, my name is Cecil and I am from Australia and came across this quote while surfing the net. Hope you don't mind if I set you blokes straight on the correct meaning.
    'In like Flynn' - is referring to the world renowned Aussie actor of the early 1900's, Errol Flynn. He was from the state of Tasmania, Australia. He was also well known as a ladies man. Hence the saying 'in like Flynn.' We use it like this, you would say to your mate 'saw you out with that good looking Sheila last night mate' he would reply 'yeah mate I was in like Flynn.

Cheers. Cecil
    Hello Cecil!

Fascinating information!

Side note: I walked by a family of Australian tourists on the Detroit RiverWalk today.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Hello Cecil!

Fascinating information!

Side note: I walked by a family of Australian tourists on the Detroit RiverWalk today.
    G'day forty-eight thousand three hundred and seven, how you doin.
    hope those tourists didn't get shot. Lol

LOL, 48307 is a ZIP code, or what Aussie's would call a "postcode". We would pronounce it "Four-eight-three-oh-seven".

The tourists were in Downtown Detroit, which is very safe and blanketed in police, security, and lots of downtown workers and residents. They were enjoying the Detroit River as their young son looked toward Windsor, Ontario, Canada with binoculars and exclaimed, "LOOK! There's a city over there!"

Lol, I was just pullin ya leg. That's our warped sense of humour.

Ford's and Chrysler's come from ownership, when Henry and Walter P. ran their respective businesses. Nobody said GM's.

Anyone remember when the holy trinity was GM, Ford and Chrysler?

Cecil, the "Errol Flynns" referred to in the post you quoted was an infamous eastside Detroit street gang of the 1970s [[named in honor of, well, you know who...). Oddly, one of the things the gang is best remembered for today is their distinctive gang sign gesture, which turned into a popular dance move seen around the city for many years thereafter.

Examples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxvzqbnT4Vk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5hRRr7JWQ

Interesting. So what came first, the chicken or the egg? Was the gang named after the dance or vice versa? I was partial to the Coney Onlys myself.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-11-17 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaspen View Post
    I don't know if this a midwest thing or a specific Michigan thing, but when I moved to Colorado in the late 70's, I went to the bar and asked for a shell of beer. They had no idea what I was talking about. My Canadian relatives pronounced Detroit, Detroy-it.
    I think the term "shell" was dying out around here by the late 70's. I took it to mean an 8 to 10 oz. glass of draft beer, but I never ordered one in a bar so maybe I'm wrong.

Here are a couple of other drinking terms that may or may not be local:
    Q: a quart bottle of beer
    Cold pop: beer, generally from a can

Cheers. Cecil
    When we said "In like Flynn" it was like saying "Made in the Shade."
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; May-12-17 at 09:16 AM.

24. Default

Speaking of Aussie-isms with your G'days and shooting you are probably familiar with this one, but first it needs explaining to the audience that 'day' is pronounced like 'die' in Aussie-speak.

An English officers encounters a fresh face Aussie just off boat at Gallipoli and says to him. "Did you come here to die?" Aussie says, "No, I came here yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I was partial to the Coney Onlys myself.
    Sconies! They were big in my school, so I knew a bunch of kids who claimed some sort of affiliation. Always funny to me though that so few people caught on to the bizarre Detroit movie mixed with hot dogs derivation of that unusual name.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast