Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Kitchener Ontario used to be know as Berlin or New Berlin [[memory is fading).... and then the unpleasantries of world wars got in the way... but then the same thing happened with England's House of Windsor royal family [[used to be Saxe-Coburg-Gotha until 1917).

I bet there must have been some USA town name changes during the 2 World Wars?? But then again we still have Germantown PA... don't we??

Here's a cool article about place name origins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...me_etymologies

I think it's interesting that the etymology of six state names are up for debate... You think they would have wrote it down somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Kitchener Ontario used to be know as Berlin or New Berlin [[memory is fading).... and then the unpleasantries of world wars got in the way... but then the same thing happened with England's House of Windsor royal family [[used to be Saxe-Coburg-Gotha until 1917).

I bet there must have been some USA town name changes during the 2 World Wars?? But then again we still have Germantown PA... don't we??
    We still have hamburgers too.

I swear the local newspapers scour this forum for ideas:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...ear-of-Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    The town was named for Detroit, MI in the late 1890s because a lot of Michigeese had settled there, according to Wikipedia.
    Wow, Detroit's population flight can be dated all the way back to the 1800s. Nowadays we have Detroit settlers all across the country, they just don't rename their new settlements as Detroit.

Now, wait until those shark attacks at Detroit Lake start giving us a bad name.

DetroitDad Guest

Didn't we already change Detroit, Michigan to De Troite?

Everything sounds better with a "e" or a lake after it.

Eh. Let them. What difference is it going to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    There are only 122 registered voters in Detroit.
    Urban flight take to its ultimate extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I've been to Toledo, Spain -- Toledo, Ohio is nothing like it.
    Surely you jest.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Woodward, Michigan sounds nice.

Our we could name ourselves like those subdivisions ... you know, deer run, phesant hollow, evergreen heights, cherry valley glenn ...
    Good call.

Rename Detroit [[call it Detroit Lake), spin off Belle Isle as a new municipality called Detroit, merge Detroit Lake into Oakland County, and covertly solve Urban Flight issues. Finance city services in the newly spun off Detroit via toll charges for Beach Use. For better relations with suburbs, grant [[new) DPL borrowing privileges to BH residents.

However the election turns out, it's going to come down to just a few votes. There are only 122 registered voters in Detroit.

Sure we're still talking about Detroit, OR and not Detroit, MI?

As a Detroiter, I hereby officially request that they change their name. They are unworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Detroit, OR sounds like a redneck Tea Party kinda place...am I wrong?
    OR. is possibly the most left-leaning state there is, prob. has no 'tea-party' members at all.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mpf View Post
    OR. is possibly the most left-leaning state there is, prob. has no 'tea-party' members at all.
    yet they're rejecting the name of the most left-leaning city in the nation

I thought when yout get out of the metro areas you really run into nimrod country in states like Oregon and Washington??

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I thought when yout get out of the metro areas you really run into nimrod country in states like Oregon and Washington??
    Surely that's not so in Michigan, home of the nation's most newsworthy militias?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mpf View Post
    http://www.artrobinsonforcongress.com/

This story went national. It was mentioned by Brett Baeir on Fox News on national cable news Wed night. They even quoted someone from a Detroit bulletin board, though not DetroitYes. The person they quoted said something like "They should change their name to "Tourist Trap" and see how that works for them.

See, all you guys should be watching Fox.
    Last edited by RickBeall; October-27-10 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Surely that's not so in Michigan, home of the nation's most newsworthy militias?
    Nah, in Michigan you don't even have to leave the Metros to find them...

When people heard of Detroit, they interpret as they "Motor City, The Arsenal of Democracy, The Paris of The Midwest, Motown, The Rennaisance City." Now folks called Detroit as Murder City. Black folks run the show and white folks ran sacred to the suburbs. Most people see Detroit is corrupt, segregated and filled with empty promises.

Now the people of Detroit, Oregon want to change the city name to Detroit Lake. It's their decision and there's nothing we can do to stop them.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

At least there is a Detroit, Alabama.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; October-28-10 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    When people heard of Detroit, they interpret as they "Motor City, The Arsenal of Democracy, The Paris of The Midwest, Motown, The Rennaisance City." Now folks called Detroit as Murder City. Black folks run the show and white folks ran sacred to the suburbs. Most people see Detroit is corrupt, segregated and filled with empty promises.

Now the people of Detroit, Oregon want to change the city name to Detroit Lake. It's their decision and there's nothing we can do to stop them.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

At least there is a Detroit, Alabama.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Oh Danny.

Why on earth would we want to stop them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I've been to Oregon. You can't even pump your own gas there. Screw 'em.
    I think pumping your own gas is as enjoyable as waiting in line and dealing with breakdowns and malfunctions while feeding empties into the crusher machines yourself to get your confiscated 10 cents per can back. No service any more, it's all "do it yourself". I bet a large percentage of posters here have no clue that it was normal in the '70s and even into the '80s to have a gas attendant pump your gas for you here in Michigan.

Back on topic: It makes perfect sense that this little town wants to change it's name and not be associated in any way with Detroit, MI. Even if it's by name only. This is an example of making a mountain out of a molehill, and of course, right on cue, the Detroit apologists are all up in arms about it.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    I think pumping your own gas is as enjoyable as waiting in line and dealing with breakdowns and malfunctions while feeding empties into the crusher machines yourself to get your confiscated 10 cents per can back. No service any more, it's all "do it yourself". I bet a large percentage of posters here have no clue that it was normal in the '70s and even into the '80s to have a gas attendant pump your gas for you here in Michigan.
    If you hate self-serve gas that much, there's a nice full-serve-only station on the west side of Joseph Campau near the northern border of Hamtramck. Maybe the attendant will even listen to your rant about the decline of civilization.

IMO what an all-encompassing pain to change the name of a municipality. I don't see where doing so is any advantage to anyone. Changing East Detroit to Eastpointe did not change its bordertown status anymore than saying Mt. Clemens needs a topographical feature to justify the suggestion of its name.

As if anyone in the world would confuse that Oregon burg with the Michigan city. Let them change their name. I suggest something colorless and boring - like Salem Heights or even Damside Acres - so as to illustrate how easily they can and will be forgotten by the city from which they want to disassociate.

Yawn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast