Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Carriage horses sometimes have a bag hanging under their tail for the road apples. Or you could carry a giant pooper scooper.

DC48080 Guest

And if you didn't feed the horse parking meter would the parking gestapo slap one of those big yellow clamps on your horse's front leg?

DetroitDad Guest

Default Sanitary Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Of course, there's no sanitary engineers out there, so you'll need to scoop your own "waste." :P

The Buffalo Soldiers do it. And they look more like cops... than cops!

DetroitDad Guest

Default Horsepower

Actually, this is a discussion my wife and I have had on occasion. It's just sort of "odd" that not all that long ago, people drove horses and buggies around, and that cars still use a system of measurement called "horsepower", based on such. While those who know about cars might find this all obvious, those younger folks who do not, seem to have no idea what horsepower means. Or more accurately, they seem to have no idea how much power a draft horse has/had.

Horsepower is a pretty dated measurement [[or are we talking about horses-and-buggies making a comeback?)

I love this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I wonder if that would clean, smear, or fling poop all over the place.

What a pain in the ass a street lined with pavers must have been!

Attachment 7609

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Horsepower is a pretty dated measurement [[or are we talking about horses-and-buggies making a comeback?)
    I hope not. Magnatomicflux's post gave me a whole new appreciation for modern life.

Detroit Police has a small mounted special outfit at Palmer Park. Palmer Park had stables since the turn of the century.

Last week we saw a mounted officer on a beautiful bay horse at the corner of Strathcona and Lowell in Palmer Woods. The third we have seen this season.

And how long would it take before an epidemic of "horsejackings" started to take place? I can see it now: you're on your horse, stopped at a red light and some thugs gallop up behind you on an old raggedy horse, bump your horse in the rear and then run up on you with guns drawn and demand that you give up your horse.

I busted out laughing at this comment.

lilpup Guest

anybody up for a biz plan for a buggywhip manufacturer?

My grandfather grew up on St. Jean and Vernor Hwy. around 1914-1921, and recalled the ladder "truck" from the fire station at Lycaste and Jefferson was drawn by a team of several horses.

Magnatomicflux said:

What a pain in the ass a street lined with pavers must have been!

"IN 1 8 9 8 , delegates from across the globe gathered in New York City for the world’s first international urban planning conference. One topic dominated the discussion. It was not housing, land use, economic development, or infrastructure. The delegates were driven to desperation by horse manure."

Read about Horse Power to Horsepower at:http://www.uctc.net/access/30/Access...se%20Power.pdf
    Last edited by beachboy; October-22-10 at 11:24 PM.

My question is, "where would one keep a horse in order to ride it in the city?" I can't see too many folks willing to keep a horse in the backyard [[not enough room to roam) and I can't see neighbors too eager to have a horse [[and the manure/flies) next door.

You could keep it in Rouge Park, of course the Buffalo Soldiers are going to use it to give kid's rides.

The Sealtest horse drawn milk wagons were still in use well into the 50's

The most beautiful horseback ride I ever took was at Historic Fort Wayne. I loved seeing the river from that vantage point, the most amazing in my opinion. And hearing the clip-clop of the hooves echo as I went through the tunnels of the fort was beyond cool [[even though I had to duck!).

Look into the Michigan Black Horsemen Association and the Buffalo Soldiers two organizations I know of that promote the sport.
    http://313.aminus3.com/image/2009-10-12.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2