Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I drove by today and noted a boom crane with guys working up near the roof of the old Roosevelt Hotel, with their crane and equipment parked in that new Slow's parking lot....then I looked closer and it looked like there were some new windows in place on the second floor north elevation, facing toward Michigan Avenue. Now, this wasn't a close inspection. Has anyone else noticed this? Are they beginning some kind of stabilization work on the hotel?
    It's an art installation by the Hygienic Dress League:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-inchervention

Okay: about Mother's: I've lived in the Poletown area all my 50+ years. All I ever remember about Mother's is that someone painted it brown in around 1982, started working on it, and then pretty much abandoned it until the new coat of light salmon pink paint. It is rather cherry, isn't it?.

I've been told the lady in the painting was a "Fatima"-an islamic lady of light and mercy. I liked the painting in both incarnations, by the way.

The restaurant that was supposed to open was the now long torn down Butzel Library, not Mother's.

By the way, on the north side of Mother's now is painted a large arabic sign. Anybody know a translation?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Personally, I think building a skatepark there will open the City up to more lawsuits, its a disaster waiting to happen. An attractive nusiance.

The for rent signs are still in the Merc's windows.
    Why is it an attractive nuisance? As a skater I have always wanted a skatepark in Detroit. Portland, New York, Toronto, just to name a few, all have public skateparks. I think it's a great opportunity for skaters to get an opportunity to skate in an organized park then skating on the streets where we occasionally run into on goers, cars and of course public enemy number one, the police/security. So why don't you rethink your previous statement and come back with a less "debbie downer" statement.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Why is it an attractive nuisance? As a skater I have always wanted a skatepark in Detroit. Portland, New York, Toronto, just to name a few, all have public skateparks. I think it's a great opportunity for skaters to get an opportunity to skate in an organized park then skating on the streets where we occasionally run into on goers, cars and of course public enemy number one, the police/security. So why don't you rethink your previous statement and come back with a less "debbie downer" statement.

Looks like s/he already did.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I would think that if you could put up signs that would say that theCity is not responsible for anyone doing anything idiotic, it might work.
    but who will pay for the signs!!!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It's an art installation by the Hygienic Dress League:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-inchervention
    That looks like glorified graffiti, IMHO. Must be nice to have nothing else to do but hang crap off empty buildings and then call it "art" I just don't get it.

^^^And have you heard that racket the kids are calling "music" these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Savoyard View Post
    That looks like glorified graffiti, IMHO. Must be nice to have nothing else to do but hang crap off empty buildings and then call it "art" I just don't get it.
    Did you not even read the website? It's going to be NEON lights in the shape of doves mounted on the building, not paint.

Driving down Michigan Ave. on Friday night, I saw people in the Mercury working busily inside. There was a big map of Michigan on the window, I don't know if it was already there but I noticed it.

Skatepark, awesome! Straight out of the stroller onto a board.

Check out this 6-year old talent!\

And what about this?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; November-07-10 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I think it was last open around the time the Poletown Plant opened up, circa 1985 or so.

Speaking of developments, I noticed somebody is working on the bar next door to Lafayette Coney. I walked passed there and the doors were open, work was being done, and a cat was walking in and out of the joint.
    Aha! The old cat-going-in-and-out-sign of things going on in a building. I was waiting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Did you not even read the website? It's going to be NEON lights in the shape of doves mounted on the building, not paint.
    Oh yeah. NEON lights in the shape of doves are much better than paint or posters. Sorry ... It's still hanging crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Savoyard View Post
    Oh yeah. NEON lights in the shape of doves are much better than paint or posters. Sorry ... It's still hanging crap.
    In my day hanging crap was called dingleberries -- and you're starting to look like one. Please pass the Charmin to this citizen with the tight sphincter.
    For now, let's just call it constructive anarchy.

Consider this: Artists are helping redefine what community means today in post-post-modern, post-industrial Detroit. Self-authorizing creatives invigorating the commons seems like a good thing here in middle ground where the next regime is yet to be realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    In my day hanging crap was called dingleberries -- and you're starting to look like one. Please pass the Charmin to this citizen with the tight sphincter.
    For now, let's just call it constructive anarchy.

Consider this: Artists are helping redefine what community means today in post-post-modern, post-industrial Detroit. Self-authorizing creatives invigorating the commons seems like a good thing here in middle ground where the next regime is yet to be realized.
    Beautiful post. [[in my new york italian accent)... "I love this guy!"

So what IS the Mercury Bar these days? I drove some friends by there Saturday night after Thanksgiving dinner at Trinity Lutheran church, we went to Abick's for a drink afterward. We stopped on Mich. Ave at a light and Mercury Bar was very busy, but it wasn't apparent if the place is a coffee house or a bar or restaurant. Does anyone know what the new business is there?

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Here is a list of nearly 100 Skate Parks in Michigan, most being public. If it works in other cities in Michigan and throughout the U.S., why can't it in Detroit?

http://www.concretedisciples.com/ska...e.php?state=MI
    One complicating factor is the presense of a gigantic abandoned building [[MCS) and the natural inclination of skaters toward mischief. Tresspassing might become a problem if some 13 year old Justin Bieber type hurts himself in the station.

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Not a skateboarder or a fan of having them on crowded city sidewalks
    When's the last time you saw one of THOSE anywhere near Michigan Avenue?

Only good things could come from a skatepark, a cement slab for blading/skating would be pretty sweet to.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    Tresspassing might become a problem if some 13 year old Justin Bieber type hurts himself in the station.
    I'm sorry but I don't see the problem here. ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2