Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hello... my parents/grandparents ran the corner grocery store - Lakeview Market on Lakeview and Canfield. We kids spent a lot of time there helping out. My dad is still alive at almost 93! He would keep "spare ties" for the boys who were sent home from St. John Berchmans school for not wearing one - LOL.

Attended St. John Berchmans/Servite

I remember walking to school, even at night for school events without fear. Summer evenings were spent outside [[until we had to go home), since no one had A/C back then

The neighbors were all so friendly. Visited the old neighborhood in 2006 and was scared to death... so sad how much has changed back there.

Default re:Lakeview Market

Travelangel: Wow, it's so good to get a reply to this. We always called the corner store "Benny"s Market" so I assume your dad was Benny? I remember him so well.This would have been from 1955 till we moved in 1961 - if that was the time you were there we must have known each other. Didn't your folks live across the street from the store? I drove by there about 18 months ago and their house is still there and looks good. My house was across the street and 4 houses down from Canfield [[4421 Lakeview). I went to Hosmer from 1955 to 1961 - Kindergarten thru 6th grade. Was there an apt.above the store? If so did your grandparents live there? I'd love to chat more to see if we have any other similar reminiscences. My older brother went to St. John's for a while also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelangel View Post
    Hello... my parents/grandparents ran the corner grocery store - Lakeview Market on Lakeview and Canfield. We kids spent a lot of time there helping out. My dad is still alive at almost 93! He would keep "spare ties" for the boys who were sent home from St. John Berchmans school for not wearing one - LOL.

Attended St. John Berchmans/Servite

I remember walking to school, even at night for school events without fear. Summer evenings were spent outside [[until we had to go home), since no one had A/C back then

The neighbors were all so friendly. Visited the old neighborhood in 2006 and was scared to death... so sad how much has changed back there.

Kville whats your name, my mom is best friends with Pastor Bucheimers daughter Dorothy, she's now living in Grand Haven. I worked at Our Saviour in the closing days cutting the lawns for Pastor Henne, and my god daughter was baptized by Conradt.

St. Clare for grade school. Austin for high school. Went sledding at Balduck forever.

Random memories:

DQ on Warren - ice cream in the summer and Christmas trees in the winter.

Catholic girls uniform store on Mack across the street from the ice cream place with the big cow head.

Chicken Delight on Mack and Canyon, where the Flagstar Bank is now. "Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight!"

Much later - going to what we called the "No Name Bar" which was actually Pete's, but the sign was gone.

Penny Lanes on Warren for darts and bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    St. Clare for grade school. Austin for high school. Went sledding at Balduck forever.

Random memories:

DQ on Warren - ice cream in the summer and Christmas trees in the winter.

Catholic girls uniform store on Mack across the street from the ice cream place with the big cow head.

Chicken Delight on Mack and Canyon, where the Flagstar Bank is now. "Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight!"

Much later - going to what we called the "No Name Bar" which was actually Pete's, but the sign was gone.

Penny Lanes on Warren for darts and bowling.
    What year did you graduate from Austin? I knew a lot of guys who went there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2