Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Art Tatum...unfortunately, he died so long ago, the quality of the recordings is poor, and there is no pianist, before or since that can come close to his technical skills.
    I think Don Pullen when he played with Charles Mingus comes very close, Pullen on the 88's, Dannie Richmond skins, George Adams sax, and Mr. Mingus taking the bass to a new level, I think that's one of the best bands ever assembled. Listening to Nas - Hip Hop is dead now.
    P.S. Oh yeah Jon Faddis on trumpet was with that band, sorry Jon.
    Last edited by rajdet; August-11-09 at 09:26 AM.

I'm currently listening to Clutch. Such a great band.

Ravine Guest

Rajdet, it's good to see some recognition, here, of musicians like Pullen, Mingus, & Co.
    Heard "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" on the radio, today. I can listen to it any time I want, but it was good to have someone else choose to play it.
    But that was directly after a long set of Lester Young tracks. Maybe it is Young's birthday, or something.
    Any reason is a good one.

Luna-various cds.

"We Gotta Get Out Of This Place"
    Going to Tawas this weekend. Friends, Lake Huron, and Blues, oh my!!

Just got a call on the request hotline from Lorax. S/he would like to dedicate this one to Moo and Gnome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4puCtdG3Mk

ccbatson Guest

It is so rare to see someone [[like Tatum) so far ahead of everyone, not only in his lifetime, but for all time [[so far).

Hellecasters - new axes to grind.

Never, to my knowledge, has there been a band with three guitarists of this caliber. I had the pleasure of seeing them live once, at the bottom line, NYC [[sitting with Noel Redding, GE Smith and Marshall Crenshaw) during "orange blossom special, smith turned to redding and said "Jimi who?" [[all three, btw, very nice guys.)

Dead Milkmen, Punk Rock Girl.

This came up on a genius list, I'm laughing my head off. So funny.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Dead Milkmen. I'm laughing my head off.
    Good stuff.

While perusing the Used CD bins at the local record shoppe, oh, about 3 weeks ago, I came across 2 interesting finds - "Beatles For Sale" and "Eat A Peach". All's I could think was, 'what sort of dumbass would sell THESE?'

Well, turns out that I sold a legacy of vinyl and awesome CDs some time back just to get my hands on that cash.

Anyways, total cost for these two jewels was two fins [[a "fin" being a five buck bill for you outsiders). For the money, I'll take Allmans over Beatles any ol day of the week. Back to the drafting board.......

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Good stuff.

While perusing the Used CD bins at the local record shoppe, oh, about 3 weeks ago, I came across 2 interesting finds - "Beatles For Sale" and "Eat A Peach". All's I could think was, 'what sort of dumbass would sell THESE?'

Well, turns out that I sold a legacy of vinyl and awesome CDs some time back just to get my hands on that cash.

Anyways, total cost for these two jewels was two fins [[a "fin" being a five buck bill for you outsiders). For the money, I'll take Allmans over Beatles any ol day of the week. Back to the drafting board.......
    I kept only about 20% of 70s to 80s vinyl [[mostly soul, R&B, and especially funk and fusion jazz). Wife kept over 200 of hers. Inspired, I'm gonna break out the Beatles 1967-1970 [[The Blue Album) vinyl today. I still have a few 8-tracks as well.

per earlier post:

Chef Chris had the crowd jumping at the Tawas Blues By The Bay Festival Saturday!

Ravine Guest

Van Halen - Light Up the Sky

One badass riff.

Herbie Hancock - Chameleon

some of the best jazz fusion ever made

Devo - Jocko Homo

UFO Guest

Mike, never can say goodbye

It really is hard when so many childhood memories are touched by one.

I could go on and on but I dont want to bore anyone witho my childhood memories of the J5

Anyway, Ill be playng my cardboard Alph-bits records of the J5 till they are worn out tonight.

Funny, if it wasnt for Mike, The archies, monkees and boby sherman would be gathering mildew on their cardboard backings.

Lata Mike

Billie Holiday is rockin' my crib this morning.

Kraftwerk:

• The Man-Machine
    • Computer World
    • Trans-Europe Express

Excellent ear joy in high fidelity.

Donald Byrd - "Black Byrd"
    Gil Scott-Heron - "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"
    Syl Johnson - "Back in the Game"

"In Walked Bud", by Thelonius Monk.
    It just sparked in my memory. Hadn't heard it in probably twenty years!

Guided by Voices- various.

Beck - assorted iTunes playlist.

Miles Davis - Agharta
    Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast