Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Sweet Shop across from Denby [[50s-60s). A true, old time soda shop. I think I saw Archie & Veronica there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    The Sweet Shop across from Denby [[50s-60s). A true, old time soda shop. I think I saw Archie & Veronica there.
    If you did wouldn't "Shop" be spelled "Shoppe"?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    ...and Belle Isle too
    I'm sure our paths crossed at some point in the middle 70s, most likely @ Belle Isle; but I went to Balduck too.

Default 70's early 80's

Alter or Angel Park at the foot of alter rd across the bridge past the old trailer park and Bus turnaround. I was there at the tail end of the 70's and early 80s. Summers were a blast there, toss a Frisbee and toss back a few beers and put a distinct smell in the air. I think I remember a raid or two by the boys in blue from the 5th, since I lived on Chalmers I could easily jump into the canal and swim over to Lakewood park to make my escape.

Lets see Denby and the great Parking lot parties and crusing Gratiot..lol....Belle Isle....earlier Sasser park ... arcade on Whittier... earlier civic center [[kelly road)....any park playing ball and hockey in the winter...

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Alter or Angel Park at the foot of alter rd across the bridge past the old trailer park and Bus turnaround. I was there at the tail end of the 70's and early 80s. Summers were a blast there, toss a Frisbee and toss back a few beers and put a distinct smell in the air. I think I remember a raid or two by the boys in blue from the 5th, since I lived on Chalmers I could easily jump into the canal and swim over to Lakewood park to make my escape.

swimming in the canal...at alter many a good times fishing there... true story...I saw an angel fish swimming at the surface..was amazed....

Default Arcadia Roller Rink

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Arena Gardens Roller Skating Rink. Now known as Woodward and I-94. Mostly white, a few blacks, no problem. Arcadia Roller Rink, near the same area. Mostly black, a few whites, no problem.
    Actually, Arcadia had separate black nights and white nights. It was segregated and that worked for awhile. Then near the end it was mixed and that was the start of the end. The guy that ran the pro shop ended up buying it, but it only lasted a few years after that. I was on the speed team, so I was up there alot. When Bill bought Northland, I was one of the kids that went out there and helped clean the place up. I skated at Northland for many years after it was up and running.

Reading through this thread, I looked at my coffee cup and the correct spelling from Qwikee Donuts, not Quickie.

The Red Door at Cass X Willis then the next morning to nurse your balloon/beer hangover at the Coney X Prentis X 2nd.

Many of us had our hangouts in the 90s.

Bookies
    Shitty Club
    Dagwoods

GUSHI Guest

Butter flies, Lush on Jos Campau, Jayne field cracking 40;s. 90s

Kelly's Cue at the 9 mile and Kelly Rd area. Safe place to take a date and play friendly pool in the early 60's.

Here is Arena Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    Kelly's Cue at the 9 mile and Kelly Rd area. Safe place to take a date and play friendly pool in the early 60's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Happy Sam's Saloon, Hamtramck

Softball city

Jayne Field

Kozarens

Cody Street

Edgewater park
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-03-14 at 02:02 PM.

Boblo a number of summers for me, Edgewater only once. The only roller rink I went to was Bonnaventure, because the Lutheran grade school I went would go there-but it wasn't my crowd. I was a videot, so, I hung out at a few video arcades-Fun Factory on Grand River, Sparky's arcade at Telegraph & six mile [[would give you free tokens if you proved you got a good report card), the mall arcades at the foodcourt at Tel-12 mall or the one next to the the hair salon at the Fairlane Sear's. My personal fav was Chauncey's record store around the block from where I lived on Six Mile-they had at least five games, burned "P#ssy" incense, and didn't mind if kids loitered to hear the music [[from Michael Jackson's "Off-the-Wall"-bought my Thriller single there-to Iron Maiden).

Memorial Park Royal Oak ..... Late 60's early 70... Strike and Spare Birmingham!!!!...Whaler

Eldies on 7mile and Ryan across from Pershing 66-68.
    Plum street in the evenings.
    Little Teds drive in at Woodward and Nevada at night.
    Pool hall and "The Little Store" on State Fair.
    The Eastown theater.
    The Grande Ballroom.
    The Chatter Box.
    The Crows Nest.
    The Hideout.

Kid stuff. Only hangout I remember from the 60's and 70's was the Lindell AC. But I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Kid stuff. Only hangout I remember from the 60's and 70's was the Lindell AC. But I'm old.
    In it's heyday, Lindell A.C. was the probably the best bar Detroit ever had in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Currently, a bar named Donovan's Pub resides at 3003 W. Vernor. Of course, the 2nd Precinct station was just across 21st st. Was this place a bar during the years you were at old #2? If so, were 2nd Precinct folks permitted to hang out there off duty or was the place off limits?

DetroitBoy Guest

Found this great website with lots of vintage stuff:

http://www.................com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Found this great website with lots of vintage stuff:

http://www.................com/index.html
    Heh. I could tell you how to fix that but then I'd have to shoot you.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Heh. I could tell you how to fix that but then I'd have to shoot you.
    http://www.detroit.memories.com

having trouble copying the link you have to type it in yourself.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; December-21-14 at 06:41 PM.

Uncle Sam's......come on!

I love this thread.

Being a white boy in the 90s going to The Grind was quite the trip. being the only white dudes in an all black strip club made us feel like outlaws. They treated us like kings.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Currently, a bar named Donovan's Pub resides at 3003 W. Vernor. Of course, the 2nd Precinct station was just across 21st st. Was this place a bar during the years you were at old #2? If so, were 2nd Precinct folks permitted to hang out there off duty or was the place off limits?
    I was there from 1959 to 1965 when I transferred to the motorcycle division. The only thing across the street then was a beat up old gas station and a greasy spoon restaurant. Prisoners got their twice-a-day hamburgers from the joint. There were a couple of bars up Trumbull way that the 2nd precinct coppers tended to, uh, 'occupy', on occasion. Especially payday night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2