Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default No more "Sir Sir" panhandler

Detroit has one less beggar. I heard that the panhandler who sits in the wheelchair in front of the Buhl Building [[Griswold/Congress) reported that "Sir Sir" has moved on to the next life. He said that "Sir Sir" passed away after an illness. That could be why I haven't seen him making his daily rounds at the bus stops. Can anyone else confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
    Detroit has one less beggar. I heard that the panhandler who sits in the wheelchair in front of the Buhl Building [[Griswold/Congress) reported that "Sir Sir" has moved on to the next life. He said that "Sir Sir" passed away after an illness. That could be why I haven't seen him making his daily rounds at the bus stops. Can anyone else confirm this?
    Was this the man with no feet?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Agreed. Detroit beggars are nothing compared to NYC beggars. And in NY they literally make it into an art form. It's a very competitive field.

Heck, even Ann Arbor has a significant beggar population.
    You're right about Ann Arbor. When I was a student at U-M the panhandlers said they love panhandling on campus because the students will not only give them money, food and cigarettes they will also sit down and talk to the panhandlers about their classes.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; March-13-13 at 10:22 PM.

I hate the name of this thread.

I've been to New York City and tons of other Midwestern cities and I think Detroit's beggars take the cake. Sure, if you give 'em the ol stiff upper lip they'll go away, but the beggars here tend to be exceptionally unwashed and unhinged. Sure, cities like Chicago have beggars, but they tend to either be a little more "with it" or at least more modest and humble.

When I worked downtown, I waited for the bus on Larned just east of Woodward. One day a panhandler tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and he got right up close and in my face and asked for money. I truly had none...just my bus ticket. He got louder and louder and actually backed me right off the curb and I almost got hit by a bus. Here in west central Minnesota, there's a group of panhandlers who make the rounds of the larger communities and set up at various intersections, some with wheelchairs or folding chairs, and all have signs saying something like "disabled homeless veteran...please help" etc. Saw a van pick one up..chair, sign and all, and then move on to the next intersection where they picked up the next guy. I've seen this same bunch in a few towns. Once I tossed a guy a cheeseburger I'd just purchased from McD's and he shouted to me "What the H*** is this??"

I believe Detroityes poster "LodgeDodger" has a photo of him [[the panhandler that says "Sir Sir" when asking for money) posted but I couldn't get the link to work. Maybe if LodgeDodger reads this, we will get a photo.

the guy that sits in the wheel chair outside comerica park after games? I actually learned a little of him some time back. Ive given him a little money from time to time.

I try to take the "homeless tax" in stride, whenever I go to get gas or takeout; i'm more partial to the elderly than non-elderly..

NSO renovated an old building to use for transitional housing for the homeless.. hopefully this model will be adopted by more agencies http://www.nso-mi.org/bell-building.php
    Last edited by Hypestyles; March-14-13 at 12:16 PM.

I stopped giving money to panhandlers because it still forces them to have to take the money and exchange it for what they need to buy. I decided to cut out the middleman and now I just give them Everclear and heroin. They seem to appreciate it.

One begger paid me back months after I had given him money. I put it into the collection place. I had tried given the money back to him but he refused. They are people too eventhough some are too aggresive. I hate the new trend where strangers are asking people to borrow people's cell phone. I tell them that I only have minutes for myself. no thank you

Default Homeless Guy found dead in his room.

This a story about the panhandler in downtown Detroit known as the "Sir Sir" guy.

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/03/186897...unclaimed-dead

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013...0c8-s6-c30.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I think that the homeless and panhandler [[as well as NSOs, group homes, etc) shoudl be distributed evenly throughout the region. The region is never happy when Detroit gets more than other cities so we shoudl also share this
    OK then, I volunteer you to go forcibly round up homeless people in Detroit and "redistribute" them.

DPD already tried doing this. They would pick up homeless people downtown and drive them out to Ecorse or some other place on the outskirts of the city and drop them off. What did the homeless people do? Walked back downtown.

They will go where they want to go.

Did you hear that story about the Kansas City beggar who had a woman's wedding ring slip into his cup and he returned it to her the next day? It was a story from about 2 months ago.

Detroit beggars can be very aggressive. I backed one off last night with a cigarette and a firm exchange. He than became happy with himself after asking when my GF and I were getting married, because I actually entertained answering the question. Guess he figured his romance radar was spot on because his whole demeanor changed.

Wow that Sir Sir story is something else. That guy was always had a forceful ask. I prefer Larry who plays drums in Midtown. He sometimes asks and sometimes doesn't. Plus he chats with you like a friend.

I was working in my yard this weekend and a gentleman with a landscaping company asked me if I could help him for about $100. Of course I had worked all week, and was now working on my own yard, but it got me thinking.

I'm not really one of the "they're lazy and don't want to work!" types but I don't think I've EVER seen a beggar sign in Detroit that says "will work for ___." I understand if you have no legs or are ill it is very hard to work. At the same time I see a lot of able guys just being aggressive and annoying with signs that say God bless somethingorother please help blah blah. I'd gladly haul brush for $100 over that crap any day. I'd ask liquor stores if I could clean their parking lots. Anything.

And I can say for certain the guys at the Cadieux and I-94 exit are not homeless. They all go to their four corners each day and back to their house in Cornerstone!!!

guys at the corner of cadieux and 94? I haven't been over there since I moved out of the neighborhood 10 years ago. This wasn't going on then. How is it over there now? Relatively Ok?

Phaps send em somewhere warm with 1 was dog tickets? There isnt enough work here for them & if i was in their shoes I would be happy to go somewhere that doesn't freeze in the winter.

Why not give the homeless a broom and pay them to sweep the sidewalks of Detroit? Or give them rickshaws to pull like Kramer did on Seinfeld? No, wait, forget about that last idea.

It is important to distinguish between "panhandlers" and "homeless." A lot of panhandlers are NOT homeless and make very good money panhandling.

And then there's the scammers. The people raising money "for the troops" or handing out little American flags. Or the people who use their kids to sell candy bars. Fuck those people. And I don't want to hear your made-up sob story about how your car broke down and your wife and child are in it and you need money to buy gas, or you need money for a bus ticket to go live with your sister. I've heard the same story, almost verbatim, many many times before from many many people trying to get me to part with my money.

When I had visited New York I didn't experience aggressive panhandlers or any panhandlers. I know that New York once had that problem before Guilianni became Mayor. I remember one guy in Detroit felt sorry for a homeless person. The homeless person reicieved money from him and asked me. I told him no and they guy who had felt sorry for the homeless said to me "I know that you have some change to give him". I told him to mind his business to don't tell me who I should give my money to

My prayers goes out to the homeless who don't have anyone to care for them. I never look down on them for one of us could be homeless. I had given to this fellow. Not all of the times but at times. I am not saying that others should give to panhandlers. It is what the Lord put on your heart to do if you listen. I do believe that one of these empty warehouses should be used as a recovery shelter for them

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    ... homeless ... give them rickshaws to pull like Kramer did on Seinfeld? No, wait, forget about that last idea.
    Kramer and Newman - Rickshaw

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    My prayers goes out to the homeless who don't have anyone to care for them. I never look down on them for one of us could be homeless. I had given to this fellow. Not all of the times but at times. I am not saying that others should give to panhandlers. It is what the Lord put on your heart to do if you listen. I do believe that one of these empty warehouses should be used as a recovery shelter for them
    But one must give through proper channels. Donate directly to shelters, donate food and clothing. Buy food vouchers to distribute. Great thing is you can record these for own tax benefits even. NEVER give change directly. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people on the street that I recognize go straight to the coin star and then upstairs to the liquor department. We've had minor crime in our neighborhood associated with the homeless. I'd rather see the quality of life improve my neighborhood by keeping them off our streets and help THEIR quality of life by getting them into shelters / free apartments, mental health clinics, and job skills centers. Sitting out on the street does nothing to help except perpetuate their misery. This is why cities have had to ban panhandling.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    How do you know he was homeless?
    If he was a panhandler, then would you give to him/her just because you feel sorry for them? You do know panhandlers can make hundreds of dollars each day?
    If you are giving to the homeless that's one thing [[although Wolverine said it best), but if you are giving to panhandlers, then they will continue to siphon money that could go to true homeless people.

FM

I drive a pretty hard line on panhandlers. I simply don't respond to them. I cannot take my focus off of what I am doing, handling my business, going to and fro or getting out of or into my car to open my purse or dig into a pocket.

That momentary 'distraction' has garnered more than the giver was intending to give as we have seen in recent news. Sadly, the distraction thing CAN be an opportunity for mugging or worse...

I have done volunteer work at a few of the shelters. That's something I can do. I donate to them as well.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast