Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1-8-7

I'm enjoying the show while it lasts, but it's all but certain to be canceled.

I give the latest episode a thumbs up. I loved the Eminem song at the end, and hey, they mentioned Hamtramck again. :-)

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeme View Post
    I'm enjoying the show while it lasts, but it's all but certain to be canceled.
    Not really - just nominated for a People's Choice award as favorite new TV drama. Go here to vote.

The show is definitely getting better every week. Better writing, better stories, and the characters continue to grow. And for anyone interested, 1-8-7 filmed in downtown Trenton about a month ago. I'm told the scenes will be used in Episode 8, which if I've counted correctly will be Nov. 23.

As far as extending it to a second season, no doubt the producers are waiting to see what the new Guv does with the film tax credits.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
    As far as extending it to a second season, no doubt the producers are waiting to see what the new Guv does with the film tax credits.
    Lack of tax credits won't prevent the show from comming back for a second season, low ratings will and ABC will make that decision. I don't think there's been anything official yet, but all the television websites that cover television shows and ratings seem to think that Detroit 187 is a one and done.

Personally I initially liked the show, but haven't watched the last two episodes. I've lost interest in it. It's not bad, but I just don't think it's can't miss TV. If it wasn't a show about Detroit I wouldn't have even watched it as long as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Not really - just nominated for a People's Choice award as favorite new TV drama. Go here to vote.
    Several of the other shows nominated are also likely to be canceled. Looking at the website TV by the Numbers, D-187 is actually the most likely to be canceled of all those nominated, unfortunately.

It looks as if Imperioli's heart ain't into it, like a couple of russian players on my hockey team...

Regarding rjk's message: Lack of tax credits won't prevent the show from coming back for a second season, low ratings will and ABC will make that decision. I don't think there's been anything official yet, but all the television websites that cover television shows and ratings seem to think that Detroit 187 is a one and done.

While I'm admittedly not an expert on the subject, I disagree. TV shows are essentially a business, and if 1-8-7 can be made less expensively than other shows [[which is what our state's tax credit now makes possible) than I'd imagine producers will be willing to live with slightly lower ratings, provided the ratings aren't totally in the craphouse. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the show's ratings have been that terrible so far. You may be right, the show may be a one-and-done. All I'm saying is that any change in the state's tax credit has the potential to impact that decision.

^Yeah, you might be right.

I think it was a bad omen for this shows survival when the red head [[I forget her name) said in a TV interview that she was hoping to live in the Detroit area for a couple of years.
    Gotta love her confidence. It made me wonder if they did test screenings and the writing was on the wall.

Tonight's episode was IMO the best to date.

It was a great episode but is there a large French speaking population in Windsor? I was expecting a few "aboots" and "soorys" but not French, eh.

lilpup Guest

French is one of the official languages in Canada. Why is it so hard to believe a native French speaker ended up in Windsor? It also fits the story since Fitch has known the Canadian for a long time, possibly from his NY days [[and NY is, after all, closer to Quebec).

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It was a great episode but is there a large French speaking population in Windsor? I was expecting a few "aboots" and "soorys" but not French, eh.
    The area just east of Windsor along the south end of Lake St. Clair [[the communities forming Lakeshore, Ontario) has a fair percentage of francophones.

I liked the episode, but I they keep dropping in lines of dialogue that are clearly for the benefit of people who aren't familiar with the Detroit area. Natalie Martinez's line "Windsor? Isn't that a party town?" was said as if her character is new to the area, or speaking to someone who is new to the area. I can't imagine anyone from around here saying that.

I don't mean to nitpick, just pointing it out. I think the show gets better every week and I hope they give it another season. [[I read that Law & Order: Los Angeles is moving to the Tuesday at 10:00 slot starting in January.)

interesting that they brought up the Purple Gang.. heh.. have any movies been done about those guys?

I noticed the Windsor Party Town thing too, yeah as if she had never been there growing up in the City! And what is the deal with all the french being spoke? If any forgien languages are spoke in Windsor the least likely would be french! I would expect Chinese, Italian, Arabic, Serbian...

No movies about the purple gang that I know of besides the Blues Brothers singing Jailhouse Rock at the end of the movie.

I once went to those communities in Chatham Kent looking for the french, could not find anything other than the catholic churches being called [[l'Eglise)

Thought the show last night was very good. Production values were much improved over the first couple of episodes. The editing , pacing, getting closer to the quality of NYPD Blue. I said getting closer, but hard to beat NYPD Blue. I really enjoyed the show. To me , the mark of a good show is one where you forget the time, forget they are actors, and want more when the hour is up. Bringing up Windsor was a good way to show some diversity, some of the unique aspects of our area.

There is a small French community in Ontario called '' Pain Court '' south of Wallaceburg and west of Chatham sorta near the water [[ directly across from the Pointes )

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    interesting that they brought up the Purple Gang.. heh.. have any movies been done about those guys?
    That was a nice nod to the purple gang, but they were not really around after the end of prohibition, that being the case Grampa would have to be in his early 100s.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I noticed the Windsor Party Town thing too, yeah as if she had never been there growing up in the City! And what is the deal with all the french being spoke? If any forgien languages are spoke in Windsor the least likely would be french! I would expect Chinese, Italian, Arabic, Serbian...

No movies about the purple gang that I know of besides the Blues Brothers singing Jailhouse Rock at the end of the movie.

I once went to those communities in Chatham Kent looking for the french, could not find anything other than the catholic churches being called [[l'Eglise)
    The old tv series "The Untouchables" had done a whole show titled "The Purple Gang"

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    That was a nice nod to the purple gang, but they were not really around after the end of prohibition, that being the case Grampa would have to be in his early 100s.
    Well, it is fiction. If they were truly trying to keep it real, 70% of the cases would go unsolved. I give'em credit for atleast knowing some local history. Hell, you go do a whole show based on Detroit during Prohibition.

There is a movie "The Purple Gang" 1959 starring Robert Blake as a psychotic gang leader [[go figure) and the main cop, Barry Sullivan. Looks like there was a second film with the same name made in 2008 and filmed in Chicago? Don't see any other info on it though.

I think that the show is showing improvements. However, I think that the focus should be on all of the characters and build each one just in case the main star, Imperioli, decide that he want to move to bigger and better venues. Get some local talents in the series and build on their characters. The show could go a couple of years by following that strategy

Actually Russix, that's not true -- there was one Purple Gang alum who was picked up by the cops sometime in the late '50s. If I recall the story, he was pulling pretty standard burglaries, and not very well, since he got caught. It was one of those "a relic from the '30s pops up" deals.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Actually, there are a few Purples still around. They're extremely old, but quite lucid.

And yes, there was a movie made about the Purple Gang in 1959. Robert Blake played a starring role. Oh, and the Purples weren't smugglers, they were into distribution.

Sorry old guy, didn't see your post...

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast