Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1-8-7

The screen writing on this show is really taking off, the episodes are well researched and entertwine them selves with Detroit's history and day to day life very well. I loved the eager intern from Bloomfield Hills!

I like the show. A few episodes ago it looked like Fitch and Sanchez were going to hook up, they exchanged some glances and she asked him out for a beer, but he couldn't go. Then it went cold. Man, he blew it.

Have only watched a couple of episodes - teaching Tuesday nights and was looking forward to the re-runs. It seems to me that the filming itself has - despite the misgivings of many - been good for the sites, even if only on a local level. I don't know about Boston-Edison, but Piquette Square [[new housing program for veterans run by Southwest Solutions) seemed to enjoy it. This past Monday, my favorite deli/have a friendly cup of coffee and hang spot, Hygrade on Michigan Avenue, was the site of filming. The owner and people who work there have already benefitted - watch for a review of the place by Neil Ruben, and plenty of people coming in to ask what was going on Monday. Those who work there said it was a very good experience working with the cast and all the others involved - meals in the same area with the "regular" employees, so pay for participation, etc. I'm hoping both of these venues reap some benefits from participating.

I also want to walk the eager intern from Bloomfield Hills out the door.

It was cool to see the inside of the Temple Bar, I've never been in there, was told it was too shady. May have to go, though.

Stromberg2

interesting that they had a "riots"/cold case episode.. the intern girl pushed the boundaries of parody but she was cute.. I wonder how many other cities even know about the history of social tumult in detroit..

lilpup Guest

They probably don't care about the history of social tumult in Detroit. They all have their own. Shit happened everywhere during those years.

No doubt the show continues to get better every week, but does anyone else have a problem with the fact that every murder gets solved in one day? I hate to nitpick, but every episode would be more realistic if it were spread over a bit of time. It'd be nice if the Detroit PD [[or any PD) could operate that quickly, but c'mon...

I think that the show should let the scenery speaks for itself. Last week show where the two detectives were driving down Boston/Edison area they appeared that they were trying to sell the area the the nationwide viewing audience. It should had been written where one would say to the other "I once wanted to live on this street" or something like that and just leave it alone. You could show scenery without the big sell off of the scene. I know that officials in Detroit is trying to push the better side of Detroit but don't overdo it

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that the show should let the scenery speaks for itself. Last week show where the two detectives were driving down Boston/Edison area they appeared that they were trying to sell the area the the nationwide viewing audience. It should had been written where one would say to the other "I once wanted to live on this street" or something like that and just leave it alone. You could show scenery without the big sell off of the scene. I know that officials in Detroit is trying to push the better side of Detroit but don't overdo it
    I definitely agree with your point on this one, but that is a negative I can deal with

Did anyone notice when the intern was being introduced, the lieutenant said she was from U of D Mercy and then the girl said she was from U of M?? Maybe I heard wrong?

I do like the show. I wish they would follow up more on the personal side bar stuff or just leave it all alone. As mentioned above the little tension between Snachez and Fitch has not been followed up on at all. And with any character you really only get a tiny tiny bit of personal information. We watch it because of the decent Detroit info. they pass on but I think the lack of personal bits or at least the connectivity of the personal bits is what is losing the national audience.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Did anyone notice when the intern was being introduced, the lieutenant said she was from U of D Mercy and then the girl said she was from U of M?? Maybe I heard wrong?
    I heard that too. I just assumed that she got her bachelors there or something. But I am pretty sure criminal justice is only a bachelors program...

lilpup Guest

The explanation from the show people on Twitter was that U of D Mercy was supposed to be her grad program and U-Mich was undergrad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
    No doubt the show continues to get better every week, but does anyone else have a problem with the fact that every murder gets solved in one day? I hate to nitpick, but every episode would be more realistic if it were spread over a bit of time. It'd be nice if the Detroit PD [[or any PD) could operate that quickly, but c'mon...
    Agree. A few of the homicides seem to have taken maybe a couple of days to solve, but most seem to be of the 24 hour or less variety. It doesn't make sense. Detectives cannot go from the crime scene, to the morgue, to multiple witness interviews, to multiple meetings with the boss all in one day. Ballistics and autopsies do not come back within hours. This is all kind of obvious so the way they play out their script chronologies is kind of a head scratcher.

It's a good show though. They've developed interesting characters and presented Detroit with some nuance as opposed to easy cliche. I hope they get a second season.

I liked the fact that they had a reunion between James McDaniel and Albert Hall who played Brother Earl and Brother Baines, respectively in Malcolm X. It would have been a real reunion if they had Denzel Washington, Ernest Thomas and Al Freeman, Jr in the bar also.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    It was cool to see the inside of the Temple Bar, I've never been in there, was told it was too shady. May have to go, though.

Stromberg2
    The Temple Bar's alright. Cheap drinks, good crowd.

Also they had a chicken race.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    The Temple Bar's alright. Cheap drinks, good crowd.

Also they had a chicken race.
    are there homeless types who hang out inside/outside?

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Agree. A few of the homicides seem to have taken maybe a couple of days to solve, but most seem to be of the 24 hour or less variety. It doesn't make sense. Detectives cannot go from the crime scene, to the morgue, to multiple witness interviews, to multiple meetings with the boss all in one day. Ballistics and autopsies do not come back within hours. This is all kind of obvious so the way they play out their script chronologies is kind of a head scratcher.

It's a good show though. They've developed interesting characters and presented Detroit with some nuance as opposed to easy cliche. I hope they get a second season.
    This line of thought is going to take every cop show off the air. From SVU, to CSI to The Closer to even Psych are filmed this way. 187 is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    This line of thought is going to take every cop show off the air. From SVU, to CSI to The Closer to even Psych are filmed this way. 187 is no different.
    True. The only scripted TV cop show I ever saw that showed the real obstacles in time and resources that City homicide detectives have to deal with was The Wire.

The pace of solving homicides on Detroit 187 is similar to the pace in Homicide: Life on the Street and NYPD Blue. I don't think that is a drawback to the quality of the show. I remain a fan and I'm telling all my friends nationwide to watch it.

Have you caught any non-existent Detroit streets in the script? I haven't watched many episodes of 1-8-7, but I caught at least one mention of a street that doesn't exist in DET.

I heard a couple of unfamiliar street names in the pilot and I think in the second episode, but I can't say I know Detroit well enough to be sure those streets don't exist here.

I hope it stays on the air because of the work it brings to the city... but it's hard for me to watch this show... nothing about it represents Detroit except some of the scenery that they show. The characters, good guys and bad, just don't have anything Detroit about them. My wish is that they could do a more gritty show and give a more realistic approach to Detroit... something like the old show New York Undercover or the Wire.

The Wire set the bar so goddamn high Im afraid Im always going to be disappointed.

Wish I knew they were filming on Chene when they did. Im not positive but isnt that fallout shelter in episode 10 the one next to Peace Keepers on Chene.

Ive recognized many of the smaller streets mentioned, I dont know why they would go and make up street names. They used two that Ive lived on in one episode and I saw one house Ive lived in [[really just the roof). That was kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolcraft View Post
    My wish is that they could do a more gritty show and give a more realistic approach to Detroit... something like the old show New York Undercover or the Wire.
    New York Undercover, I could accept but as a fan of one of the greatest shows ever on television, I have to say that The Wire wouldn't work for Detroit. Not because Detroit wouldn't be a good setting. In fact, Detroit would be perfect but The Wire has been done and it would almost impossible to duplicate it. There is a reason why OZ wasn't copied and it was a hell of a show. As for gritty, well we have to remember that this network TV not cable TV. If 24 was on HBO instead of Fox, Jack Bauer would a butcher instead of a former government agent.

Yep, that was the shelter on Chene.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    The Wire set the bar so goddamn high Im afraid Im always going to be disappointed.

Wish I knew they were filming on Chene when they did. Im not positive but isnt that fallout shelter in episode 10 the one next to Peace Keepers on Chene.

Ive recognized many of the smaller streets mentioned, I dont know why they would go and make up street names. They used two that Ive lived on in one episode and I saw one house Ive lived in [[really just the roof). That was kinda cool.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast