Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I just read that the Stewart/Colbert rally drew about as many attendees as Glen Beck did...
    But with less crying.

And more truthiness.

Some sanity to be restored by Tuesday night.

The Stewart-Colbert was almost as white as Glen Beck's rally.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    The Stewart-Colbert was almost as white as Glen Beck's rally.
    Not true...I was there and while yes, the majority was white, the crowd was far more diverse than Beck's rally. How do I know? I attended both. The thing about Beck's rally was that pretty much everyone was white, over 40, and asshattish in a way.

My personal favs were:

The "civility" displayed by the attendees.

The recruiting going on by the DNC at a "non-political" rally. And who is that I saw in the distance? Was that OFA?

But, THE BEST one is when Comedy Central tried to LIMIT PRESS COVERAGE from a public venue!!!

Ah, yes! That last one was a knee-slapper right there.

My faves at the Beck rally were the signs with Obama with a Hitler mustache....stay classy guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    My faves at the Beck rally were the signs with Obama with a Hitler mustache....stay classy guys!
    Oh, oh, oh, wait!

Lemme guess?

Was it this guy?

Not true...I was there and while yes, the majority was white, the crowd was far more diverse than Beck's rally. How do I know? I attended both. The thing about Beck's rally was that pretty much everyone was white, over 40, and asshattish in a way.
    I'll have to take your word for it that the Steward rally was racially diverse. I only noticed one black guy in the headline news type photos I saw.

It's one thing to have a lily-white rally to propagate fear and hatred.

It's quite another to have a lily-white rally to promote reason and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    My personal favs were:

The "civility" displayed by the attendees.

The recruiting going on by the DNC at a "non-political" rally. And who is that I saw in the distance? Was that OFA?

But, THE BEST one is when Comedy Central tried to LIMIT PRESS COVERAGE from a public venue!!!

Ah, yes! That last one was a knee-slapper right there.
    Coverage wasn't limited by Stewart/Colbert, but by the news agencies themselves. Had you watched it you would have known that.
    But a stand out moment was the award of a medal featuring a naked man running with scissors, which Stephen Colbert “gave” in tribute to the news organizations like CBS, the Associated Press, NPR and the New York Times for refusing to be there out of fear of appearing biased.

In the end he gave a heavy handed – but still humorous – message by giving it to someone he said had much more courage than those agencies: a seven-year-old girl name Haley, who said she wasn’t scared to be there, and that it was fun. Adorable.
    http://all247news.com/restore-sanity...izations/7201/

But in the spirit of good fun and entertainment by Teapartyers in comparing our commander in chief with Hitler... here's one for ya from the Beck rally.... but of course he too is probably a plant... [[likely watered with beer)...
    Last edited by Gistok; October-31-10 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    That's right, he is an entertainer and he does that well. I am not of fan of his because while he's entertaining he puts his political beliefs out there and in some cases leaves facts out of what he is saying. Entertainers should stick to what they do best.
    Leaves out facts??? He usually has videotapes of the people he is discussing saying exactly what he is discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    That's because Glenn Beck is an entertainer too. He started out as a Rock and Roll DJ. As far as I can tell he never studied journalism or history. He's as much an entertainer as Stewart or Colbert, but takes himself seriously, which is really a pity.
    Glen Beck isn't funny, at least not funny ha ha. He's a demogogue, not an entertainer.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Glen Beck isn't funny, at least not funny ha ha. He's a demogogue, not an entertainer.
    Beck is almost like a modern day Father Coughlin

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Nowhere in my post did I even hint that I thought GB is funny. He is about the most un-funny so-called human I've run across. Just because someone is an entertainer doesn't make them funny or good. Just look Justin Beiber.

Stosh Guest

Beck is almost like a modern day Father Coughlin
    That is a very good analogy. There were others like him, but can't think of one now. I guess Henry Ford would be a good analogy to Rupert Murdoch or the Koch brothers, during the same time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    That is a very good analogy. There were others like him, but can't think of one now. I guess Henry Ford would be a good analogy to Rupert Murdoch or the Koch brothers, during the same time period.
    Is Murdoch an anti-Semite?

Stosh Guest

Is Murdoch an anti-Semite?
    I don't think so. But the comparison fits. Substitute the Jews for Islam, and I suppose that the anology fits quite well, along with Beck's philosophy. A nice pairing, huh?

Like Beaujolais and a good ribeye.

Stosh Guest

Like Beaujolais and a good ribeye.
    Agreed. I know someone that would have liked that, except for a 30 day respite.

Check this article, by the way.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201010140042

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    It's one thing to have a lily-white rally to propagate fear and hatred.

It's quite another to have a lily-white rally to promote reason and respect.
    In which category does a lily-white rally based on smarmy condescending humor best fit?

In which category does a lily-white rally based on smarmy condescending humor best fit?
    Did you feel condescended to? Aww, sorry they hurt your feeling.

Why are you talking about Rush, this thread is about Jon Stewart.

The thing about the Beck event was that it reminded me of a large church barbeque. I can't really explain it better than that...not that it was a bad thing but just by the crowd and their demeanor as well as their dress was quite in contrast to the Stewart event. Of course the age range was pretty fixed within a small range for the Beckster's shindig too. The thing I noticed more than anything was the lack of creativity with the signs displayed at the Beck rally. Most of them basically screamed and bitched about taxes and worshipping Ward Cleaver and all that shit.
    Last edited by Patrick; November-01-10 at 07:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast