Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
Somebody needs to invent a way to display traffic signals within vehicles, e.g. on the dashboard [[or heads-up display or whatever) via wireless,

I'd just be content with one that would mute the radio audio and/or replace it with a signal when an emergency vehicle approaches. It wouldn't even be just in new vehicles, but in all aftermarket replacement audio devices.

Weather alerts could be included also.
This is actually coming soon. I expect to see systems on the market within the next 5 years. The technology is called Vehicle to vehicle communication. Vehicles will transmit their speed, direction and state information to the vehicles around them. Traffic controls will transmit their state. This information can then be used by in-vehicle systems to show a driver traffic issues and warn them about upcoming incidents.

The systems works similar to WIFI internet. Part of Telegraph was just wired up with a test system that transmits the status of the traffic lights. Earlier versions were tested on I-75 in Oakland county.

The one huge downside I can see to this is the cops can then just sit on the side of the road with a data sniffer and automatically generate tickets.