Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Because news should be new. Not tired old same meaninglessness. Union and progressive types marching? You know what else didn't make the news? Pigeons pooping, fish swimming and air airing.
    But Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and the Tea Party nutballs who want to "take America back" to enforce their own theocratic version of the Contitution and to make America safe for Dick Armey and his buddies in the oil industry to plunder are news? They sure as hell got wall-to-wall coverage of their little pro-corporate, pro-war, anti-compassion, God hates everyone but straight right-wing Christian American white people, love-in a few weeks back.

Progressives, on the other hand, struggling for such un-American values as healthcare, jobs, safer working conditions, a living wage, rebuilding our cities, clean water and air, peace, and the freedom to be who you are, get no coverage at all. In fact, they get ignored as if they are the nutjobs, and such values are beyond the pale in today's America.

Tells you something about the real priorities in this brave new country of ours.

DC48080 Guest

The majority of the media in this country is slanted to the left. Being that they all but ignored this event, what does that tell you about its relevance to the real world?

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The majority of the media in this country is slanted to the left. Being that they all but ignored this event, what does that tell you about its relevance to the real world?
    What country are you talking about? In the one I live in the majority of the media are owned by giant corporations whose first loyalty is to the preservation of the bottom line. And who therefore concentrate on the most outrageous, rabble-rousing, and meaningless stuff possible in order to keep the most eyes in front of the TV and ears listening to the radio when the ads come on.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    What country are you talking about? In the one I live in the majority of the media are owned by giant corporations whose first loyalty is to the preservation of the bottom line. And who therefore concentrate on the most outrageous, rabble-rousing, and meaningless stuff possible in order to keep the most eyes in front of the TV and ears listening to the radio when the ads come on.
    CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, Det Free Press and many more are very much left leaning. What world do you live in?

Oh. I forgot, corporations are evil..... Profit is bad.... Blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, Det Free Press and many more are very much left leaning. What world do you live in?
    Not even close. CNN is owned by the giant Time Warner and operates as one of the largest non-union shops in the broadcasting business. They love to over-cover stuff like the tea-baggers behind their rather ragged veneer of objectivity. MSNBC has found a commercial niche as an alternative to Fox News, with a Democratic O'Reilly like Olbermann, but they are still majority owned by NBC Universal, a unit of General Electric so don't expect to see any challenging of the corporate order go too far there. The Free Press is just over a decade away from one of the most outrageous anti-worker actions in US history, and prints little in its news sections beyond clipped wire copy and bare-bones local reporting. The Times editorial page leans towards moderate Democrats, their rather cautious news reporting does not. Much the same as the Wall Street Journal, whose very right-wing editorial page is not really reflected in its reporting. But then I guess objectivity could seem like screaming pinko-ism to a regular viewer of Fox News or listener to the dulcet tones of Rush.

These guy obediently parrot their masters, workers bad and stupid and over paid, management wonderful and magnanimous, media bad! Nothing you can say can penetrate their skulls, it's funny when it isn't pathetic. And they get to vote and breed.

When in doubt, yell commie. BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!

There was a lot not to like about the march; Jesse Jackson is a tool and it was a rally for the Democrats. There was a lot to like about the march; Detroiters who wanted to take the day back from the loathsome Glenn Beck and his teabagging followers, a genuine wish to fix this poor country, a sense of togetherness. The naysayers can say nay, they weren't there, so let them wax poetic if they wish. Who cares?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    These guy obediently parrot their masters, workers bad and stupid and over paid, management wonderful and magnanimous, media bad! Nothing you can say can penetrate their skulls, it's funny when it isn't pathetic. And they get to vote and breed.

There was a lot not to like about the march; Jesse Jackson is a tool and it was a rally for the Democrats. There was a lot to like about the march; Detroiters who wanted to take the day back from the loathsome Glenn Beck and his teabagging followers, a genuine wish to fix this poor country, a sense of togetherness. The naysayers can say nay, they weren't there, so let them wax poetic if they wish. Who cares?
    Why don't you go back and flip off the White House again? Oh, that is right, your boy Obama is there. It is sacred ground now. You're too funny this is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Yep - a bunch of union people marching around. That will attract investment and new jobs!
    Yup' Why waste a sunny day for a march. They should have hauled their ecologically-minded asses on a golf course in an electric cart.

Snappy comeback there, DC4.

Thanks for the photos, Lowell.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post

Once again you prove your lack of reading comprehension. Most of the people on this board assign blame to management and labor. It is the labor zealots that only assign blame to one side. If anyone is obediently parrotting their masters it would be you and your union ilk.

Of course you never fail to show your hypocrisy.

I have ilk?

Do you realize how boring you are? I understand, you don't like me. Stop boring everybody with it. Go to your fudgie site and giggle. Moan because Lowell kicked you off. Read every thread and comment on them, then say how stupid we all are. Sheesh, it's like junior high. You're the cool kids, we get it.

I have ilk?
    Yes, you and the pro-union people that spout off the management is evil and labor is always right non-sense.

Do you realize how boring you are? I understand, you don't like me. Stop boring everybody with it.
    Yet again you show your hypocrisy. I'm boring everybody with refuting your tired argument. The same could be said of your incessant whining and attacking everyone that doesn't support labor 100%. We understand, you don't like people that believe labor is not 100% innocent. The fact that you don't get that is pretty humorous.

Go to your fudgie site and giggle. Moan because Lowell kicked you off. Read every thread and comment on them, then say how stupid we all are. Sheesh, it's like junior high. You're the cool kids, we get it.
    I don't post on the fudgie site. I see that you whine and moan because I don't parrot the labor line. I was unaware that this site was only open to people that are pro-union.

Now lost in your silly whining is any response to the fact that most people here assign blame to labor and management. I see whenever that point gets brought up you turn into a whiny little school girl. We get it, you don't like conversation that is willing to discuss sins of both management and labor.

I do appreciate your ability to show the ignorance and stubborness that represents too much of labor. Keep proving that is the case and we'll keep laughing at you.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Yes, you and the pro-union people that spout off the management is evil and labor is always right non-sense...

I do appreciate your ability to show the ignorance and stubborness that represents too much of labor. Keep proving that is the case and we'll keep laughing at you.
    And that ignorance and stubborness is taking a toll within the labor rank and file. Dues-paying members are tiring of the entitlement mentality that their "leaders" continue to espouse. These "leaders" cling to state and national party lines, regardless of the issues that actually are relevant to the work site[[s). This has led to a disconnect where membership shows their frustration in two major areas--during contract negotiations and at the voting booth. Only two bedrock areas for union "solidarity"...

But there is nice HQ on the water. I've heard it has a wonderful view.

The grandsons and granddaughters of the original union members are not joining in droves. Who is going to stop them?

Ravine Guest

...jt1, responding to oldredfordette, wrote:

"Now lost in your silly whining is any response to the fact that most people here assign blame to labor and management. I see whenever that point gets brought up you turn into a whiny little school girl. We get it, you don't like conversation that is willing to discuss sins of both management and labor."

Well, wait a minute.
    In my previous post, in this thread, I gave both management and labor a hand-heel to the schnozz, and she did not take issue with my remarks.
    Blanket statements are risky and, nearly always, tend to neutralize the potency of one's argument.

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    And that ignorance and stubborness is taking a toll within the labor rank and file. Dues-paying members are tiring of the entitlement mentality that their "leaders" continue to espouse. These "leaders" cling to state and national party lines, regardless of the issues that actually are relevant to the work site[[s). This has led to a disconnect where membership shows their frustration in two major areas--during contract negotiations and at the voting booth. Only two bedrock areas for union "solidarity"...
    It was interesting to read recently that most Michigan union members support the Republican candidate for Governor, Rick Snyder, over the heavily union [[leadership) supported Virgil Bernero.

My take on it is that when even your own union members steer away from a candidate who leadership supports and who talks about unions like it's 1955, the ground under unions has shifted. Permanently. Of course not for everyone, hence we'll be reading anachronistic diatribes from the likes of Oldredfordette for a long time to come.

Bernero is losing the vote among union households, with 44 percent saying they would vote for Bernero, compared to 48.1 percent for Snyder.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0zbTrKvpn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2