Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Astonishingly, I make a living splitting my time between being a freelance photographer and working on feature films in various positions.

I sell Astroglide door to door.

Retired with disability Law Enforcement. Got 20 years in wanted 25. Patrick I would die for your job. I am still a major fan of theirs.

Another media guy here. Newspaper copy editor these days. Recently went from full-time gig to part-time, no-bennies, 16-hours-a-week job. Future cuts are expected, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
    Started working in radio in high school. Did that, or stuff close enough to radio to light a match on it, for 25 years.
    Degree from WSU in public relations.
    For love I announce bames for and otherwise help out any way I can with The Miracle League of Michigan, a baseball league for special-needs players. We have a rubberized, wheelchair accessible field in Southfield.. I'm told we'll have fields in Ypsilanti and Plymouth next year. Well start our sixth year May 30.
    We started with two teams and about 25 kids. The focus remains on kids, but with the adult and senior citizen leagues have briught us to about 350-400 players this season.
    Wanna help? We'll have stuff going probably seven days a week once school lets out. Everybody in the league -- including me -- is a volunteer. Visit www.michiganmiracle.org to find out more.

I'm a high school teacher with plans to a) get a PhD in philosophy from Wayne State, b) buy & fix up Detroit houses, and c) work for a magazine about revitalizing Detroit. The magazine [[so far as I know) doesn't exist yet.

Angry Dad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lombaowski View Post
    I sell Astroglide door to door.
    And I deliver it

Used car dealer.

I pimp. It's hard work but somebody has to do it.

I paint McMansions for $5000 a pop

What a great thread, I designed cars for 18 years and walked out of the corporate world 10 years ago....off to culinary school....and now I offer chef services and cooking classes as well as manage my Carraige house seasonal rental on Lake Michigan.....check out VRBO.com.....number 222477

Detroit Media Partnership. 34 years. Hoping and praying for 10 more.

FoMoCo auto engineer

Measured leads and involutes in the past. If you know what that is, you are/were probably in the gear business, too.
    Thinking of a startup, processing and distributing the Michigan raised farm products of entities like Sludgedaddy's associates!
    Seriously, looking for employment. Unemployment compensation ran out this week.

Look, Up in the sky … it’s a bird, it’s a plane!
    Na.. it’s just flyby.

Presently: I’m a pilot / photographer.
    Terrorizing the sky’s over the Great Lakes States and beyond.

Part time: I assure the safety of visitors to this fine area.
    a.k.a.: Executive protection.

Also a damn good single father who’s still putting his daughter through grad school.
    [[Will this never end?)

Formally:
    Law enforcement,
    Executive for a local now defunct Armored Car Company,
    Cargo pilot,
    Acrobatic pilot and the list goes on as I'm not finsihed yet.
    Attachment 960

Retired S/Sgt US Marine Corps

Work for General Motors now salary-management

BA University of California Berkeley- Sociology, minor in Computer Technology [[which is what I put to use for General Motors) you can never underestimate the value of a good education and picking your major and minors are very important. You'll never know what you will finally wind up with as a career. The old adage "what the market will bear" has never been more truthful then it is today!

Detroit Police Department, 1955-1984. Retired and moved to Las Vegas in '84, second career as security director of a local hospital. Retired for good in 2001. Great jobs all my life, never had a day that I didn't look forward to going to work. But don't think I'm not enjoying retirement to the fullest!

Quit smoking in '01 also. Best thing I ever $did$.

I write medical billing software for a small medical billing company, specifically for oncology billing. Worked for GM/EDS for 19 1/2 years, laid off in 2002. Still remember thinking I was set for life when I hired in to GM back in 1983 - hah! Does anybody think that these days, I wonder? After all those years of commuting it sure is nice to work from home! Though I do miss the people that I worked with in the old office environment - can get pretty boring being at home so much. I often bring my laptop over to Barnes and Noble cafe in the afternoons, finish my work day there.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdWoman View Post
    I'm an ornithologist -- I run the Rouge River Bird Observatory at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. I first started on this list when I was working on a breeding bird project and looking for folks who knew of locations that had nesting Ring-necked Pheasants!
    I'm a UM-D alum - graduated in Dec 82, also worked there, from May 81 til Feb 83. I was a programmer for the school's administrative programming department, through the school co-op program. Back then our office was in the back of the library. Was still there til just a few years ago - now in the Computing Center building [[or whatever the official name is). When I started school there in 78 there wasn't much of a campus - sure has grown. I remember taking walks through the nature area with my girlfriend way back then, also back behind the mansion by the waterfall.

Worked in I/T for two Fortune 5 companies for 20 years until '97, then went into education where I've been ever since.

Retired attorney. Retired at age 52, after 31 years with the same company. The company and I mutually agreed that I had worked there too long.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Retired..not by choice...but by injury. Former clerical worker for an interstate natural gas pipeline company that WAS based in the Ren Cen before it was devoured by a company out of Texas. Also worked for a number of years for WJBK.
    GOL: Was that the ANR Pipeline Company? I'm retired now but spend a few months with Anatec working on a project with them in '96 [[in the 500 Tower)

22. Default

UM post-grad student - to US Peace Corps volunteer teaching HS woodworking and tech drawing in Swaziland - to quit school forever to be an artist - to eight years as a Sears delivery driver while I figured things out - to unemployed by the great 80's Michigan depression - to scuffling house painter and income tax consultant - to successful fine art painter - to internet artist creating DetroitYES among other sites - to Internet services business owner - to facing whatever needs to be done next and still doing some of all of the above.

School's in forever and you'll find me in the front row, studying hard, learning, earning, adapting, having fun doing it and always counting my blessings, being thankful to all who have helped me along the way and celebrating 30 years of no bosses.

[And Good Luck and Blessings to Linda and hubby. Health = true wealth.]
    Last edited by Lowell; May-02-09 at 11:56 AM.

I'm a freelance writer, non-automotive. Actually, if you pay me, I'll write it, but a day on which somebody pays me to write about music is a good day.

Lighting Designer for live theatre. F'r'instance, I've worked at places like Meadow Brook Theatre, Purple Rose in Chelsea, City Theatre at Hockytown, Music Hall, the Fisher, the Jet. Also am a Local 38 stagehand.

I've been teaching at a Catholic school on the west side of Detroit for 17 years now. My first students are graduating from college this year as I taught kindergarten the first year. I've been a first grade teacher for the last 16 and plan to continue-- as long as the school hangs on and remains open---to my retirement in 12 more years.
    Not much pay but a lot of rewards and feelings of accomplishment. Think about it: I have taught numerous children to READ over the years. A skill they will use for the rest of their lives.
    When my students come back to visit and remember their first grade teacher [[and many do!)...THAT is my reward and the small paychecks, concern over the school staying open and all of the hassles that come from teaching... are well worth it!

Plus...I figure the Catholic school teachers will have mansions in heaven one day too! LOL :-)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast