Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Brooklyn...
    Thank you.

Frankly, if someone has only lived in Detroit or Michigan or any one place, I'd recommend they move around a bit, particularly when they're young and single when it's easier to do so.

Detroit will still [[I think) be here if they decide to come back some day.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I have a personal knowledge of Epic. Awesome place! The last time I visited the Epic campus, sort of a Silicon Valley like place, there were three cranes adding new buildings. Epic's owner is a woman with a vision. She makes sure her employees are presented with the most nutritious food and even points out common grammar errors at monthly assemblies of all employees. Gotta love her. One quarter of all hospitals in the US use Epic software. It's like an international village with computer people from around the world. Slackers don't last long there though. I don't mean to take anything away from Detroit but Epic rocks.
    yea i think they have 5-7 huge office bldgs...everyone gets there personal office-though small...all the parking decks are below grade-and they're starting plans to build a 13,000 person auditorium-insane

3. Default

Just to add to what others have said, a friend in Chicago is moving to Madison, WI, this summer. She looooves it, and is already finding plentiful job opportunities [[in the library field, but still, it's kind of an overall indicator).

Madison is small, but it's also very walkable and very friendly. I was there briefly for a conference years ago. I'm more of a big city gal, but I was still very impressed.

You might want to consider finishing that bachelor's while you're still in Detroit so you will be more competitive. That is, if Snyder leaves us any higher ed options once this budget process is over. But the insanely low cost of living here does make the whole student brokeness experience much easier. I don't know the whole picture of your situation, but if you can stick it out with your family in a cheap city slightly longer, it might be worth it in the end. I don't know, my two cents. The cheap cost of living easing my life as a student is a big part of the reason I am here, though.

I think it would be tough as a new person in another city to get the kind of support that you are finding here in this post.

Proslack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    As a lifetime resident of Detroit, I'm well aware of the difficulties of living here in a city that's comparable to hell itself.

Finding better jobs is difficult and population is being lost fast. The city government and public schools are national embarrassments. The public transportation system here is laughable, and they don't call Detroit: The Motor City for nothing. If you don't have a car, good luck getting around.

Our current mayor, Bing, said it best that it would take a long time for the city to rise from the ashes. Each day I ride my bike, I can see it.

We all can see it. The world can see it.

Those that are able to leave, are leaving. The jobs and money are leaving with them.

I'm considering leaving too. Finding a Information Technology job, here in the metro Detroit area has been difficult, and living a life as a multi-modal commuter that has a medical restriction on my driver's licence, living in a city that has high insurance rates on auto, and having to wait 25 years for the metropolitan area to make up their mind on making things easier for those that can ill-afford to commute by car.

Portland, Oregon is a city that has learned to provide first-class public transportation, as well as obtained a Platinum rating from the League of American Bicyclists. I think that Detroit has a lot to learn from them.

Detroit doesn't even have a rating. We only have 52 bus with bike racks on them. SMART is the only transit authority that fully accommodates bicyclists in the metro Detroit area.

I ask this question because I'm considering moving to Portland in hopes to live independently without the need of a car. My medical restriction could become permanent, and it would be harder for me to prosper here in Detroit.

I look forward to your responses.
    All DDot buses [[ALL DDOT BUSES!!) now have bike rakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Proslack View Post
    All DDot buses [[ALL DDOT BUSES!!) now have bike rakes.
    I will have photographic evidence proving this statement incorrect, tomorrow.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofdetroit View Post
    the raper eminem
    I see what you did there.

I will have photographic evidence proving this statement incorrect, tomorrow.
    See thats the thing take those photos and send them where it matters,email the newspaper,write your representatives,you can go to any city in the world, but unless you do something that makes an impact no matter how small it is it becomes just another city.

Although I might upset some Warrendale residents, I am glad I didn't buy in Warrendale like I was thinking I might have. I just need to stop driving through there. I don't like the way the place has gone down hill. If I had bought a house there I would be asking the same question as I do sometimes in Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    One doesn't necessarily have to embellish their rationalization for leaving Detroit with false descriptions of post-apocalyptic life in Detroit. A drive almost anywhere south of the Ford on the east-side from downtown to Alter Rd. is as factual as you can get, unless, of course, you don't drive.

A weekend trip to Chicago or Toronto or to Portland can give you rose colored goggles. Seeing people out in the neighborhoods, large numbers or not, utilizing local business and merchants makes the kool-aid taste even better. If you're fortunate or adventurous enough to experience their functioning mass-transit, then you realize that it's utilized by throngs of people, including females, from all cultures and classes, who are forced to interact cordially [[or at least civilly), then your feelings about Detroit really become dissappointing.

If you get to spend more than a weekend in these places, you will see this phenomenon on a daily basis. Of course, this is not every neighborhood [[not talking about downtowns) in every functioning city, but you know what, you can at least get to those neighborhoods without a car.

Finally, as life-long Detroiter and DPS grad, the Detroit "turn-around" our parents got tired of waiting for actually happened. It was about 8-10 years ago, and as quickly as it happened, poof, it vanished, and now it's worse than ever. Tiger, if you wanna wait around for the next re-birth, it's a long time in the making, and the bottom re-defines itself almost daily. Do it now. You're not getting any younger.
    The OP's options are wide open. You just have to be a bit adventurous, although he may not have the funds to roam the globe looking for the ideal locale for himself and his future. Still, as they say about all forms of travel and relocation, if you find you don't like it when you get there you can always turn around and go back. Maybe Detroit will look different to him after some time and distance away from it.

Just curious to know if the OP is still living in Detroit or whether he has made any progress in moving to Portland. My recommendation would be to save up and move to Portland. It's a great city with creative, optimistic people and great public transportation and urban amenities. Go there and live as cheaply as possible until you're established. If you don't like it, you can always move back. Best of luck in finding a place you want to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Modusvivendi View Post
    Just curious to know if the OP is still living in Detroit or whether he has made any progress in moving to Portland. My recommendation would be to save up and move to Portland. It's a great city with creative, optimistic people and great public transportation and urban amenities. Go there and live as cheaply as possible until you're established. If you don't like it, you can always move back. Best of luck in finding a place you want to live in.
    I would like to thank you, Modusvivendi, for posting and I would like u to know, that times have really been hard. I'm going through some difficult times at the moment. I have every intent on leaving Detroit, but things are going to take time.

As for whether Portland being my final destination, even that is indeterminate. My main obstacle has been money. By the end of the year, I have every intent to be gone, whether I have my Bachelor's degree, or not.

Each day that I remain here, I search for IT jobs while working on my Bachelor's Degree. However, it will be difficult as I pursue not only my ideal job in the information technology, but the ideal urban environment that I would like to live in, while I still have my youth.

I always wanted to live in an urban environment, where I can live in an 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment, near public transportation. With enough Zipcars available, that I can use in case I need to use a car.

Bill Shea's not staying. I think he's right.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ustrating-city

With enough Zipcars available, that I can use in case I need to use a car.
    In Detroit, you use a .380 to get a car on a temporary basis.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Bill Shea's not staying. I think he's right.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ustrating-city
    Oh, he's just moving to the suburbs. I was hoping he'd move out of state altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    In Detroit, you use a .380 to get a car on a temporary basis.
    I hope you're joking. I'm unfortunately at this time not medically cleared to drive until May.

Even if I was, I already have a ZipCar membership. I plan on keeping it since insurance in Detroit is already high.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3