Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post

Banks are notorious for requiring personal guarantees from the individuals that comprise the LLC and not just the LLC. In light of the lawsuit that has been filed it appears Wells Fargo has personal guarantees from Ferchill officials.
    Agreed as to right now but during the previous fifteen years, banks rarely asked for a personal guarantee.

People made a lot of money, espescially on buildings in Detroit.

If you had a good appraiser--the sky was the limit

Didn't they build the Garden Hilton JUST for the superbowl? Last time I checked Gratiot ave. wasn't a tourist destination.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    Didn't they build the Garden Hilton JUST for the superbowl? Last time I checked Gratiot ave. wasn't a tourist destination.
    Huh? The Hilton Garden is on Gratiot downtown. Or is this one of those hip and trendy kind "district things" where a place isn't a tourist destination if it's 2 blocks away. Oh Deroit's Times square is so 1920's.........

I passed by the hotel Saturday and the front entrance and windows along the lower floors have been boarded up and painted black. A guard stood guard [[actually sat on a park bench) outside of the hotel. With its location along the river, why did this hotel fail? What were major drawbacks for visitors? How could these drawbacks be eliminated? Was the economy the main reason for its demise? I went to the hotel for a few events and drinks at its bar, but I never stayed as a hotel guest. How were the rooms and how was service? It's hard to believe that no one could step forward and save the place. Can this place work as a condo or apartments? I just hope it doesn't languish for years because it's such a beautiful and unique building.

Replying to a couple of different comments:

1. Jefferson does not qualify for light rail or bus rapid transit. Ridership on existing fixed-route bus is not sufficient. Gratiot qualifies to contend for BRT funding but not light rail, and Gratiot has vastly more transit ridership than Jefferson.

2. The location of the Omni was isolated from everything else going on in Detroit. Not by a huge distance, but enough to make it nonviable as a location for a hotel in a weak economy. Let me use a contrast: say you stay in a hotel at the Ren Cen, what is within walking distance of that? Now: say you were staying at the Omni, what is within walking distance?

The east riverfront has not taken off in the way the city might have hoped, and the Omni was a victim of that.

I stand corrected on BRT on Jefferson vs. Gratiot--all those eastside streets look the same to me.

As professorscott says, the Omni is too far east when there are plenty of hotel rooms around.. I have never been inside so I don't know exactly how it is set up, but generally it would be pretty expensive to convert a hotel to residences. I'd like to think someone with lower costs could run it as a hotel, but the Ponchartrain is in a better location and doesn't seem to be viable. The Omni might make a nice nursing home.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    who all has been to these 'newer' hotels downtown, what is the quality of them? I see them as I walk around downtown during events, and I wonder..

I love staying at the Atheneum, especially the eastern view with all of the trees. I've stayed at the Omni a few times, never got a room with a view, would have liked to have gotten a room with a river view once, just never thought of asking when checking in.

I stayed in the Book Cadillac.. It was great!!!!

listening to local radio, there are rumors that an african-american entrepreneur is purchasing the Omni, to renovate, and also offer senior-living residences there.. if true, then that's interesting.. better than just another vast, empty building--

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion of the Detroit hotel market and the St. Regis was mentioned. In the December 21, 2010 edition of Crain's Detroit Business they reported that the St. Regis was going to be sold at auction on Thursday, January 13 - see: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...auction-jan-13#

Has anyone hear the result of the auction? Just curious.

You could have had it for 850K. Of course Urban Partnership Bank has the right of first refusal. I'm staying their tomorrow night after the auto show. I'll let you know if you got a good deal =)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ld-for-850-000

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    You could have had it for 850K. Of course Urban Partnership Bank has the right of first refusal. I'm staying their tomorrow night after the auto show. I'll let you know if you got a good deal =)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ld-for-850-000
    BelleIsleRunner:

Thanks for the link. Sorry to have bothered you and Googled it first. Hope your stay works out well.

Dang. Sold for only $3,778 per room. Gives you an idea of hotel problems in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    listening to local radio, there are rumors that an african-american entrepreneur is purchasing the Omni, to renovate, and also offer senior-living residences there.. if true, then that's interesting.. better than just another vast, empty building--
    Met the new African-American owner last month. Didn't know about the senior residences part. Don't remember his name. When I find his business card, I'll post his name.

Update, a quick google search and here is the new owner. Couldn't pull up the Freep article by John Gallagher from November 2010 that mentioned the deal that was still pending at the time.

http://www.blackenterprise.com/2008/...nds-its-reach/
    Last edited by mam2009; January-15-11 at 11:20 PM.

the problem with downtown hotels and resturants in general is getting competent help and staff

most entry level hotel and/or resturant jobs don't pay that great that will allow you to draw employees that actually live downtown, thus you are drawing from the suburbs, and pay being equal, if you live in warren are you going to work the andiamos or toms oyster bar downtown or one on 14 mile rd. or in royal oak???

even suburban chains like chilis on 8 mile at eastland mall suck because of the crap staffing... im 1/4 mile away from that chilis and after the first experience, if i want crap chilis food i will drive 10 miles to the one on gratiot [[although not that much better)

DetroitDad Guest

I find this extremely hard to believe. Jefferson always seems to be so busy at rush hour, not to mention at other times of day. Are they actually only taking into consideration current low income or "brave" riders, and not the middle and upper income Gen Y's and Millennials who currently drive down I-94, Jefferson, and other nearby mirror streets? That has to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Replying to a couple of different comments:

1. Jefferson does not qualify for light rail or bus rapid transit. Ridership on existing fixed-route bus is not sufficient. Gratiot qualifies to contend for BRT funding but not light rail, and Gratiot has vastly more transit ridership than Jefferson.

2. The location of the Omni was isolated from everything else going on in Detroit. Not by a huge distance, but enough to make it nonviable as a location for a hotel in a weak economy. Let me use a contrast: say you stay in a hotel at the Ren Cen, what is within walking distance of that? Now: say you were staying at the Omni, what is within walking distance?

The east riverfront has not taken off in the way the city might have hoped, and the Omni was a victim of that.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    who all has been to these 'newer' hotels downtown, what is the quality of them? I see them as I walk around downtown during events, and I wonder..
    I've stayed at most of the older ones and Greektown. The rooms are pretty standard between all the hotels that have closed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I find this extremely hard to believe. Jefferson always seems to be so busy at rush hour, not to mention at other times of day. Are they actually only taking into consideration current low income or "brave" riders, and not the middle and upper income Gen Y's and Millennials who currently drive down I-94, Jefferson, and other nearby mirror streets? That has to be it.
    In other words, you have no data to set down in front of us. Number one rule: If you want to prove something to people, whether it's in your career or to the forum, come with statistics and evidence. You're not even presenting collective opinions either, just your own thoughts and they aren't carrying much weight or doing much convincing. Even if I agree with you on some points, you do not deliver them correctly.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    In other words, you have no data to set down in front of us. Number one rule: If you want to prove something to people, whether it's in your career or to the forum, come with statistics and evidence. You're not even presenting collective opinions either, just your own thoughts and they aren't carrying much weight or doing much convincing. Even if I agree with you on some points, you do not deliver them correctly.
    Thanks for the tip Wolverine. It's true, I'm spreading a meme, I guess. I don't know of any reports to prove this. On the other hand, my first hand knowledge is what it is. Without getting to into what I do [[management is not a fan of social media talking) and where I do it, I basically sit and look at traffic congestions for all of Southeast Michigan, on a computer all day. We are linked into MDOT's traffic cams, and while I don't consider myself an expert, The Crosstown is a headache to deal with at rush hour, so much so that we do not allow our local delivery drivers to use it during peak times. I will admit, I am not sure exactly why I-94 is gridlocked everyday, it seems to be more of an interchange issue than a capacity issue. Either way, one alternative is often East Jefferson, which seems to be as busy as any suburban feeder street.

There is no reason to believe that those people would ride light rail over I-94, you are certainly right. But, I think this subject would be very useful in a report.

Actually, don't take my word for it, you too can view traffic all day long, right on your desktop. Go to; http://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/dri...eraviewer.aspx . There is also a good app for smartphones and Windows 7, which utilizes Google maps, and also reports on the radials.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Of course, it's logical to have a light rail line connecting the proposed M-1 line to Alter Road via Jefferson. These include some of the most viable areas of the city. But I think that the Pointes would have a fit, seriously. Imagine all the poor people who'd flood in. No... we can't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Of course, it's logical to have a light rail line connecting the proposed M-1 line to Alter Road via Jefferson. These include some of the most viable areas of the city. But I think that the Pointes would have a fit, seriously. Imagine all the poor people who'd flood in. No... we can't have that.
    Were you being facetious, English? Poor people have absolutely no place in the Pointes. They can't afford it! And the Pointes offer nothing that they can benefit from for free. I wouldn't call myself poor but I have very little reason to go there myself. The Pointes have stayed exclusive for one reason and one reason only -- lack of opportunities for folks who can't afford to be there. DDOT runs into Grosse Pointe Park via E. Jefferson and SMART runs into Grosse Pointe Farms via Moross. Public transportation hasn't caused the infiltration of the Pointes up until now so please do not give anyone any ideas about why we can't use light rail on Jefferson. I would love the idea of hopping the train downtown!
    Last edited by mam2009; January-16-11 at 12:17 PM. Reason: forgot to proofread!

mam2009: I was being a little facetious, sorry. I have a vested interest in a light rail line on Jefferson, because it's one of two areas that I am considering moving into in just a few short months. The hold up of the M-1, let alone anything along the spokes, is incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

The Pointes get a bad rap, in my opinion. They've had their moments, but you'd be hard pressed to find a group of Detroit suburbanites who are more invested in the life of the city.

Apparently Mr Roberts is hanging it up. Recent reviews don’t look too great.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...lk/6251889002/
    Last edited by hybridy; November-11-20 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

According to an earlier post in this thread the hotel sold at auction for 850K 9-10 yrs. ago. Now he wants 26 million. He did put in a pool so I guess that's about right.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

What is that tall almost 20 story building behind the hotel? I don't remember it being proposed [[and it's certainly not built).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast