Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    There's no statutory authority for someone to claim adverse possession against a municipality or the State of Michigan.

http://www.mmbjlaw.com/news?article=...h-acquiescence
    Novine, here's a part of what's on that link:

"Adverse possession may not be established against the United States, or against any other governmental entity unless there is statutory authority. Specifically, adverse possession may not be established against a Michigan municipal corporation for the recovery of any public highway, street, alley or other public ground. However, in the recent case of Mason v City of Menominee, decided February 26, 2009, the Michigan Court of Appeals upheld a lower court�s decision to grant title to a disputed parcel of municipal land to a private landowner under the doctrine of acquiescence. "

So you see, you cannot adverse possess a "public highway, street, alley or other public ground". It doesn't say anything about a tax-foreclosed residence. Unless I missed something?

I lived in a building which looked somewhat abandoned. The cops came for a noise complaint. They thought I was squatting or didnt stay there at all. I showed them my mail I received at that address and they were cool. I wonder if I had mail sent to myself at a house or building that would be enough for the law to consider me living there. Wait 15 years and bam, new crib.

That's a good question. There could be a claim that a tax-foreclosed property might not be fall within one of those categories. On the other hand, once the city owns the property for an extended amount of time, it would be in a position to argue that it's holding the property for public purposes, foreclosing a claim of adverse possession.

Here's a good write-up on how adverse possession would work, at least on private property.

http://davidphillipsmichigan.blogspo...-doctrine.html

Nothing new to add, but what a fascinating thread! This is a very interesting topic. In a City that has so many vacant homes that it is actually impossible to say exactly how many there are - I doubt you could accurately get it to the nearest hundred - it would be interesting to see a public debate of the regional leadership as to whether this might be a viable option for people.

Like I said earlier on page one, Ive got friends squatting. Their drug addicts, they beg for their money but they have a vacant house to live in. Dont know or wont say if their electric is on the DL or not. They keep the place up, there are no neighbors. They mow the lawn now that they have a mower as well as other lawns in the area for a few bucks. They dont steal but will ask for and take a handout. They already live in the worst of the worst East side. The neighbors dont bitch because they have bigger problems than them. Id be glad to see them take over a viable house. I could care less if they are stealing a little electric if it keeps them warm through the winter and have a radio to listen to.

I know I know I know
    People shouldnt steal.
    These folks live down here in the baddest motherfuckin city around and like it as much as they have to. I can give them a pass.

Fuck it, this forum has become a bunch of cunts anyway. OOOooooooh, theres a proper way to do things.

Some of you are cunts anyway.

Damn, some people just need to get by.

I apologize to Maw Dodger and my other female friends for my cussing. Wheres Pam? she used to give me shit all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I apologize to Maw Dodger and my other female friends for my cussing. Wheres Pam? she used to give me shit all the time.
    I'm here. I can't remember what I supposedly gave you shit about, but it wasn't cussing. That doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Like I said earlier on page one, Ive got friends squatting. Their drug addicts, they beg for their money but they have a vacant house to live in. Dont know or wont say if their electric is on the DL or not. They keep the place up, there are no neighbors. They mow the lawn now that they have a mower as well as other lawns in the area for a few bucks. They dont steal but will ask for and take a handout. They already live in the worst of the worst East side. The neighbors dont bitch because they have bigger problems than them. Id be glad to see them take over a viable house. I could care less if they are stealing a little electric if it keeps them warm through the winter and have a radio to listen to.

I know I know I know
    People shouldnt steal.
    These folks live down here in the baddest motherfuckin city around and like it as much as they have to. I can give them a pass.

Fuck it, this forum has become a bunch of cunts anyway. OOOooooooh, theres a proper way to do things.

Some of you are cunts anyway.

Damn, some people just need to get by.
    AMEN

We need more forward thinking and less bickering on here, did it flip to c*nt city in just a year or 2?

I used to love this site J to the J. I made so many friends here online I bout felt popular. Locals used to own this place it seemed and I loved that. I learned so much, not just about Detroit but myself too. Hell, I never knew scrappin wasnt cool till I started gettin cyber bitched slapped here.

Shit, what were we talkin about?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2