Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I'm over it... let's move on. His other comments are more questionable after all......
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Christ, he misspoke and said 'fifty degree' instead of 'fifty miles per hour' - why don't you all just go shoot him for the error? Morons.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The first truck in this photo gallery does not look Detroit, but it could be?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...s-20100908-mr#
    That's a fire in Highland Park not Detroit

Yeah, I lost a family member in a house fire a few years ago... every minute counts when a fire is in progress. Shortages here have devastating consequences, it's incredible that no loss of life occurred in this blaze fest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Actually, it IS about the city and the drastic cuts they've made.

Cool, thanks for clarifying that particular link... perhaps others have photos specific to Detroit.
    That's a fire in Highland Park not Detroit

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Incredible that no one died in these tragic fires... I dug a bit into some of the photos of the various photos... detroitfunk shows an Engine 9 Warren truck second photo from the bottom of the Detroit mega fire tragedy:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/

The first truck in this photo gallery does not look Detroit, but it could be?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...s-20100908-mr#

This news feed references the use of suburban fire departments helping...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/24933070/index.html

And of course the Berkely trucks were clearly visable in the Highland Towers fire though that was in Highland Park....

What does that have to do with my post regarding the issue of Detroit requesting help from suburban departments in the past? Some are arguing on this thread that the help was there, they have pictures, proof, but I haven't seen any. There is no question that suburban departments helped yesterday and I am eternally grateful for their help because I have many friends and family working at DFD as we speak.

Hopefully no one was seriously hurt.
    I'll tend to believe a downed power line story and the wood frame construction as the culprit but stealing equipment off a fire truck reminds me of the incident where the police station in Brush Park was broken into, the one with razor wire around it.

Robo cop was ahead of it's time.

Fair enough. I missed the detail that you were looking for evidence of this happening 'prior' to this event. Perhaps others may know........ and supply photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    What does that have to do with my post regarding the issue of Detroit requesting help from suburban departments in the past? Some are arguing on this thread that the help was there, they have pictures, proof, but I haven't seen any. There is no question that suburban departments helped yesterday and I am eternally grateful for their help because I have many friends and family working at DFD as we speak.

Detroit's problems and failures are everybody's problems and failures.
    Detroit in many ways represents the problems of the US concentrated and magnified, so in that sense its problems and failures reflect those of the larger society, and I suppose in the John Donne sense that "any man's death diminishes me", it is also everybody's problem. But really, it isn't much of problem for someone outside the city that there are lots of houses burning down, and it is wishful thinking to believe that very many people anywhere else regard it as their problem.

The city's residents, not everybody, have by far the most to lose or gain by ignoring or addressing Detroit's problems and failures, and as I see it that is where most of the solutions are going to have to come from, Although I would certainly hope for some outside assistance, I think that the heavy lifting is going to have to be done by local folks, and I am quite sure that the rest of the world doesn't feel that it owes Detroit nearly as much as some people seem to think it does.

Hearing the news last night about suburban fire departments providing help for Detroit was heartening....however, during my tenure with the Detroit Fire Department [[30 years), help from neighboring fire department was never requested.

Are you a firefighter in Detroit, active or retired that you know for a fact that what I am saying isn't true?
    No, that is a known troll. Ignore their posts.

Hah! I believe the stealing part as it could be part of quick opportunism that often accompanies a crisis.... and yeah razor wire -- yeah we have it, holiday wrapped around some buildings and agencies and yet theft abounds!
    Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    Hopefully no one was seriously hurt.
    I'll tend to believe a downed power line story and the wood frame construction as the culprit but stealing equipment off a fire truck reminds me of the incident where the police station in Brush Park was broken into, the one with razor wire around it.

Robo cop was ahead of it's time.

lilpup Guest

stealing equipment off a fire truck
    Many [[most?) communities dispatch police to be on scene with fire not only for any necessary crowd or traffic control but also to help keep an eye on the equipment.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    But really, it isn't much of problem for someone outside the city that there are lots of houses burning down
    funny thing about Mother Nature, she doesn't give a damn about community borderlines

Many [[most?) communities dispatch police to be on scene with fire not only for any necessary crowd or traffic control but also to help keep an eye on the equipment.
    That may be true but MOST communities are not Detroit either.

I remember quite a few years ago of residents sitting outside with garden hoses on devils night to keep fires from even starting.

Buy American Guest

That used to happen in Detroit but not any longer. Police are stretched to the limit like the firefighters and can only do so much to protect and serve. EMS runs that were considered violent had to sit outside of a home or bar until the police arrived to secure the scene before technicians could enter the scene to care for the victims...now, that is a thing of the past most of the time.
    Detroit's priorities are askew...too many hands in the pot, too many politicians acting as though Detroit is their own ATM machine, too many corrupt people and not enough people with integrity to do actual good for Detroit. City of Detroit politicians are elected officials and promise everything and do nothing except line their own pockets. Money is not scarce in Detroit, it's flowing into the pockets of these idiots who are running the City....it's time for the people to take control and impeach all of these thieves and get the City up and running like a well oiled machine.

funny thing about Mother Nature, she doesn't give a damn about community borderlines
    Well if you live in Ferndale, Warren, Dearborn maybe a hint of worry but Birmingham, Bloomfield, Rochester Hills not losing any sleep.

Well if you live in Ferndale, Warren, Dearborn maybe a hint of worry but Birmingham, Bloomfield, Rochester Hills not losing any sleep.
    Well, not about fires. But there are actually quite a few people all over Oakland County not resting easy over where all those displaced Detroiters, and their kids, end up. You hear the coded language about which school districts are "going downhill." Prelude to the flight...

That used to happen in Detroit but not any longer. Police are stretched to the limit like the firefighters and can only do so much to protect and serve. EMS runs that were considered violent had to sit outside of a home or bar until the police arrived to secure the scene before technicians could enter the scene to care for the victims...now, that is a thing of the past most of the time.
    Detroit's priorities are askew...too many hands in the pot, too many politicians acting as though Detroit is their own ATM machine, too many corrupt people and not enough people with integrity to do actual good for Detroit. City of Detroit politicians are elected officials and promise everything and do nothing except line their own pockets. Money is not scarce in Detroit, it's flowing into the pockets of these idiots who are running the City....it's time for the people to take control and impeach all of these thieves and get the City up and running like a well oiled machine.
    Well first of all most of the control of Detroit is in Oakland county. Wayne, Oakland and Macomb each outnumber Detroit in population individually, together they make up the bulk of the population of the metro area.
    48201 the zip code down Woodward and nearby surrounding is hardly upscale, affluent or exclusive and it's the most gentrified of all of Detroit IMO
    If there was a large area that close to the CBD in any city with the average price of homes like this that was decent I'd jump ship tomorrow [[not really but...) Detroit is the best example of obscene wealth living on top of desperate poverty.

lilpup Guest

um, you have no idea what you're talking about

Firefighters have been shot at, spit on, robbed....the city is full of two-legged animals who have no idea how to live like a human being.
    I prefer "monsters" as opposed to "animals". Animals don't generally act like that, attacking their protectors. People are the most prevalent offenders of that offense. BTW: What is the penalty for an assault on a first responder in Detroit, anyway? Should be stiff, and consistently applied.

Let me clarify, I retired in the 90's. From the time I worked in the Fire Department [[30 years on the job), there were never any official calls put out to a suburban fire department for help in any fire. In 1984, the peak of devils night, Detroit received no help. This is coming from a very good source in Communications who worked Devils night and coordinated ALL equipment, runs, EMS, etc.
    If suburb fire departments have helped since then, it's still news to me because I am very close to the department today.
    I am not arguing a point here but the records will speak for themselves. If anyone has pictures, data, proving different, please feel free to post it, I will definitely apologize for my error if I am wrong.

Nah, I really don't think you need to appologize to anyone lol. I didn't mean to imply that I was doubting your memory at all Buy Amreican. I appologize if you read it like that. I was just saying maybe there were times that you just didn't know about and that maybe Meddle was right about seeing them.

About the Firefighters being shot at and spit on [[all of which disgusts me), I'm reminded of an old man I used to work with who used to work for Windsor's FD during the 60's. He had said that even Windsor had gone over to help during the riots, and were required to have the National Guard ride atop the rigs to give the department a fighting chance at actually getting where they were needed. That's crazy!
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; September-09-10 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Should be stiff, and consistently applied.
    Is....is this sodomy you're refering too? lol

If so, I would have to agree that's a fitting punishment for attacking a FR.

This is just the preview. What will happen on Devil's Night, which is just seven weeks away? Strap on your seatbelts because it is going to be a rough ride. We already know the fire department is under manned, under equiped, overworked, and led by a poor excuse of a leader. Will there even be a Detroit come Nov. 1st?

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Nah, I really don't think you need to appologize to anyone lol. I didn't mean to imply that I was doubting your memory at all Buy Amreican. I appologize if you read it like that. I was just saying maybe there were times that you just didn't know about and that maybe Meddle was right about seeing them.

About the Firefighters being shot at and spit on [[all of which disgusts me), I'm reminded of an old man I used to work with who used to work for Windsor's FD during the 60's. He had said that even Windsor had gone over to help during the riots, and were required to have the National Guard ride atop the rigs to give the department a fighting chance at actually getting where they were needed. That's crazy!
    Thanks for that Magnatomicflux...Meddle doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

I remember that during the riots the National Guard was everywhere. My brother-in-law was in the Guard at the time and walked the streets of Detroit and ran with fire rigs to protect the firemen. While people were burning their own homes, their own neighborhoods, their own churches and stores, the DFD fought the fires amist looters, gunmen taking shots at them and verbal abuse....that's more than any person should have to take, but they did it along with the police. Crazy isn't the word for how some people act in Detroit....there are no words to describe the mentality of those who do terrible things to their own.

From what I can see, victims have no rights and the perp has all the protections they need...they destroy, steal, kill, maim...then get the best lawyers who make sure ALL of their rights were protected during an arrest. Instead of handcuffing the criminals, the police are handcuffed and are unable to do their jobs.

Default Surburban FDs and DFD

Came back to this thread this am...I guess I started the post about suburban departments being called in. Maybe this will end the bickering. There is a policy in most cities that is simply called "Mutual Aid Pact"....I am only guessing that this policy was invoked the other day because Detroit's resources were completely exausted and probably the last time it was invoked was during the riots. In the interim there probably were cases where surburban departments responded to some Detroit runs and vice versa...but they were not officially under the Mutual Aid Pact. [[example- Oak Park rerspond to a fire at 8 Mi and Schaeffer and. Turns out it is a house fire in Detroit. What to do? Leave and call DFD.....No, they begin to fight fire until DFD arrives)
    Hope this is a reasonable accounting of past observations?
    Here is another new one. Armed Detroit firemen. Bettha-boots that many want to respond to runs with a concealed weapon for protection...I would not bet against it if it were true today. The last time I saw armed firefighters was during the riots. This, of course, was not department sanctioned and a few carred firearms straped to their waists in open view when not wearing their turn-out gear.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFD View Post
    Several 'burb FDs assisted Detroit in the 1980s, hell there's photos of it in the old Bill Eisner books. We use volunteer departments here on a regular basis, since the early 1990s. Hopefully the injuries to the brothers are minor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 697Macomb View Post
    In 1984 eight suburban departments sent equipment to assist the DFD. Yesterday's fire on Moenart south of Luce, Warren FD was on the scene with two engine companies.

In July, the Oakland County Tech Rescue Team was called to assist with a trench rescue, then recovery at 3572 W. Euclid.
    Like I said, at least 3 of us know the truth over the rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by jba View Post
    In the interim there probably were cases where surburban departments responded to some Detroit runs and vice versa...but they were not officially under the Mutual Aid Pact. [[example- Oak Park rerspond to a fire at 8 Mi and Schaeffer and. Turns out it is a house fire in Detroit. What to do? Leave and call DFD.....No, they begin to fight fire until DFD arrives)
    And yes, I've personally seen that more than once. Redford or Dearborn Heights will respond to an incident [[fire, accident, wires down, etc.) on the border and will go to work until DFD arrives. I've seen Redford do extrications of people trapped inside vehicles after accidents and have the patient ready for EMS when they arrived.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast