Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I think it was channel 7 who was reporting they're having water pressure problems. Conserve water.

lilpup Guest

Devils' Night comes early.....?

lilpup Guest

No, these aren't all arsons. One engine just reported in an occupied dwelling going throughout. Another reported more wires down. With our tinder box houses built so close together it doesn't take much to spread quickly and widely.

DetroitDad Guest

Robinwood is the entirely abandoned/vacated street that was discussed recently in this thread, correct?

Buy American Guest

I heard on the news this evening that several suburban fire departments helped the DFD tonight and I thank them all. This is one of the first times in my memory that this has ever happened.

I was driving around taking pictures during all this. It was just insanse. There was smoke in every direction, I was going from fire to fire in various parts of the east side.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Robinwood is the entirely abandoned/vacated street that was discussed recently in this thread, correct?
    Yes, there were only a handful of occupied homes on the two blocks of Robinwood as of last April, when I last drove down the block. A number of homes on the blocks had already been victims of fire, though most of them had not, and some of them were in decent shape on the outside [[though undoubtedly disasters inside). Having read about the demise of the block, and knowing Detroit's history, one has to imagine that the block will ultimately be almost all vacant, with maybe one or two houses remaining. These fires are starting the process by which the structures will disappear. It's really sad.

lilpup Guest

A number of the engines called in building collapses when finishing up at their locations.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    O.M.G. They. Sound. Pooped.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Looks like it. It contained this post linking to 461 Robinwood:
    Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    If you want to feel sick to your stomach:
    http://tinyurl.com/2cg3lvl
    That is a neighborhood in the United States of America.
    It happens to be where this lady lived and died.
    Children played here. People laughed and smiled.
    I want to vomit now.
    Oddly enough, one block south, cutting through the backyard, if you will, yields this Streetview. Wtf, Detroit?

lilpup Guest

DFD getting pissed at DPD not responding to a location for equipment stolen off of truck - "no car available"

lol, i just listened to engine 53 reporting that they'd had equipment stolen off their rig at a scene. only in detroit...
    oh, and they couldn't get the cops to respond, per usual.

Default Dry Weather Doesn't Help

The fact that we are in a mini-drought cannot be helping matters. We've had very little rain in my part of Detroit, most of the lawns are completely brown and have been for several weeks. I've had a ground covering wither in my yard that hadn't withered since the drought of 1988. The winds were apparently sufficient to knock down some power lines - they've been reporting outages since early evening. The bone dry conditions coupled with wind and wood frames are ideal for ravenous fires.

I thought St Aidan was also a patron saint for firefighters, but not sure. Anyway, prayers for all the firefighters in battle tonight.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    lol, i just listened to engine 53 reporting that they'd had equipment stolen off their rig at a scene. only in detroit...
    oh, and they couldn't get the cops to respond, per usual.
    Only in Detroit, this tragicomedy of errors.

sounds like engine 53 finally got their dpd.

on a side note, you could make a fortune scrapping all the brass off a rig.

I guess firefighters are going to have to carry guns, now? This is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Oddly enough, one block south, cutting through the backyard, if you will, yields this Streetview. Wtf, Detroit?
    Those houses are sweet! And every one unique. Yeah, that's the Detroit I used to know. No mistaking it for Orlando or Seattle.

It's like a cancer, isn't it? This urban blight, or whatever you want to call it. I feel sorry for the nice house next to the ravaged one. The police only have enough money and manpower for "major crimes", so no wonder gangs and human vermin think some hard-working person's hood is a freaking free-for-all. Who's going to stop them? The National Guard? It's not the police's fault. It's mismanagement and malpractice. But that's another topic.

Yeah, it's kind of a mind-f__k.

Why not plop a small medical campus down on that block? Surround it by walls or high bushes or something, do some landscaping, narrow and beautify the road, maybe with some removable steel pylons in the road to limit vehicular traffic to medical center traffic, but leave it accessible to foot traffic. The land ought to be cheap enough.

Or a farm, a gated community, whatever. In any event, that block's goose is clearly cooked.

wow, 53 is just back in service now. hope it didn't take that long for DPD.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    O.M.G. They. Sound. Pooped.

Looks like it. It contained this post linking to 461 Robinwood:

sweet jesus...WTF Detroit indeed fryar! That is just so fucked up I'm having trouble processing what I'm looking at. I simply do not understand how things get like that. And you go towards Woodward and there are STILL a couple houses with nicely manicured lawns, I figure the neigbourhood elders. What kind of brass balls do these old folks have to keep living there?! I suppos they probably paid off their homes decades ago...but still. It honest to god makes be sad and sick to my stomach to see a street like that. I just can't fathom a street like that in Windsor, it seems impossible.
    Those are some beautiful homes in all that carnage *sigh*

I hope all of your Firefighters have come thru this safely everyone.

From the DetNews article: "Our priority was trying to save the occupied homes," Williams said, adding the number was not unusually high but seemed so because they were concentrated. "We've had five to six pockets that have experienced multiple dwelling fires because of winds."

Yeah, OK, whatever.

from listening to firenet it sounds like they've run into problems having to stop to re-fuel and some even running out of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I worked in the 80's and none of those departments ever helped Detroit....it may have been the other way around. Detroit never asked suburban departments for help but other departments sometimes asked for help from Detroit and we obliged.

Think what you will. I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I heard on the news this evening that several suburban fire departments helped the DFD tonight and I thank them all. This is one of the first times in my memory that this has ever happened.

Could be a typo, but you do kinda contradict yourself here Buy American. Maybe Meddle is right.
    Really not a topic to argue about though.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast