Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Branched off?

Haven't the Muslims been around a whole lot longer? Maybe the other religions branched off theirs?
    Not to defend anyone's biases in any way, but it was around the year 610.

If everyone ignores these right wing nuts, they will fade into obscurity.

or they will be elected out of apathy from the democrats...any one seeing this calling of the election a little disgusting...where are the voters now?

Thank god I might be getting out of this God awful place soon. Just sucks I have to leave behind my congressman...

Moving to France?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

wwjd?
    The Divine Facepalm.

I heard they lost more or less 50% of the congregation on account of this stunt.

The Holy War between Muslims and Christians with their Jewish allies will begin in September 11, 2010 if that nutty preacher starts to burn the Holy Koran.

For far as we know, The Holy War has just begun. I'm just waiting for World War III.
    Last edited by Danny; September-08-10 at 08:04 AM.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/us...?src=me&ref=us

Prominent Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders held an extraordinary “emergency summit” meeting in the capital on Tuesday to denounce what they called “the derision, misinformation and outright bigotry” aimed at American Muslims

The burning of Korans is meant to provoke. It is, at best, an insensitive use of the freedom of expression. We just went through the use of the word 'sensitive' with respect to the right of Muslims to build a recreation center. The beheading of Daniel Pearl complete with video, the throat slitting of Theo Van Gogh, and the recent attempted murder of the Danish cartoonist are examples of what might happen to the Florida preacher. Strangely, such murders and attempted murders of westerners, even in our countries, by Muslims, doesn't evoke as much reaction from us as a disrespectful cartoon or book burning does among Muslims.

I don't mean to suggest that Westerners are singled out for punishment for offending the sensitivities and rules of Muslims. We all know about Muslim on Muslim honor killings, stonings, and the fatwa on Salmon Rushdie for whatever he wrote. When the Taliban announced that it was going to destroy one of the most important Buddhas in the world, and did, Buddhists didn't rise up and seek revenge for insulting the Buddha. Perhaps the Western nations should take that into consideration when establishing immigration quotas.

The west, for it's part, does react too. The 9/11 attack by Muslim radicals did push the US over the edge. I think there was a national lust for revenge and blood which even gave cover for Bush to conduct his war in Iraq.

A chain reaction is possible. Drawing an editorial cartoon of a prophet or burning his holy books can provoke. The group feeling insulted has a history of violent reactions from slitting throats to attacking New York City, and the US has a history of overreacting to such attacks.

Interestingly, Mayor Bloomberg who strongly defended the Constitutional right of Muslims to build wherever they choose in NYC no matter whom it might offend, is now saying that the Florida pastor has a Constitutional right to his freedom of expression too; no matter who will be offended.

Bloomberg Defends Pastor's Right to Burn Quran

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Moving to France?
    No... I live in Florida... I am moving out of Florida...

Terry Jones Accused of 'Spiritual Abuse' at Cologne Church
    US fundamentalist pastor Terry Jones, who wants to burn copies of the Koran on Sept. 11, ran a church in the western German city of Cologne until last year when members of the congregation expelled him. Former members have spoken of his hate-filled sermons and insistence on "blind obedience."...

the pastor led a charismatic evangelical church, the Christian Community of Cologne, in the western German city up until 2009. Last year, however, the members of the congregation kicked founder Jones out, because of his radicalism. One of the church's current leaders, Stephan Baar, also told the German news agency DPA that there had been suspicions of financial irregularities in the church surrounding Jones....

The pastor and his wife apparently regarded themselves as having been appointed by God, meaning opposition was a crime against the Lord. Terry and Sylvia Jones allegedly used these methods to ask for money in an increasingly insistent manner, as well as making members of the congregation carry out work....

Former church members are still undergoing therapy as a result of "spiritual abuse," [Andrew] Schäfer [a Protestant Church official] said. According to Schäfer, Jones urged church members to beat their children with a rod and also taught "a distinctive demonology" and conducted brainwashing....

A congregation member reported that some members were afraid to attend services because they expected to be attacked by Muslims....

By the end of 2007, the community had had enough. Members confronted him and tried to change the direction of the church. But Terry Jones refused to make changes, they say. In the end, Jones, his wife and their fellow preachers were expelled from the church and he moved back to the US. "The community imploded," says Schäfer. It only has some 80 active members today....

Schäfer, for his part, sees Jones as a fanatic who is courting global media attention because he couldn't cope with the "immense loss of power and significance."
    Just in case there was ever any doubt he's delusional.

Pastor Jones does have the "right" to burn copies of the Koran - or any other documents he may choose. "Right", however, does not justify his fanatical rantings any more than the Phelp's spew their special brand of hate at the funerals of our servicemen killed in battle. God help us from those who wish so hard to "point the way".

I don't think Mayor Bloomberg defended it , he only stated that its his First Amendment right to burn the books , he is Government and Government should stay out of it , same as the mosque/community center . He did say he is holding his personal opinion as far as the mosque to himself , but thinks the book burning isn't right . I find it ironic that time after time you see on the news , people in most of these arab/muslim nations burning our flag , images of the President , but thats ok .
    But when some rogue so-called preacher wants to burn icons of theirs ...........

I could care less if Muslims burned copies of the Bible.
    I just hope for thier sake that thier religion is right, because if it turns out they die and they were worshiping the wrong God, they will have some explaining to do

People need to stop being so religiously hypersensitive.
    If folks really believe there is a secret war on Non-Christian nations by the Muslim faith, they why not just call them out on it? And why would the Muslims not just outrightly proclaim it? They have enough people to be a legitimate force.

The answer is : The entire Muslim faith is not on Jihad. If they were, stuff would be blowing up across the world like popcorn in a microwave. Condemn radicalism and try to live your life the best way you can. Stop starting crap with moderates. This guy is a redneck bonehead.

This guy can be arrested as soon as he sets the fire for
    1) Hate Crime
    2) Arson
    3) Disturbing the Peace

It is just plain and simple wrong for anyone to take part in such an act. I truly hope it does not happen anywhere in the universe. When I heard that news it sickened me.

So, why is Petraeus having to defend himself for voicing his concern for the troops if this nutjob goes through with his plan? We need to hear that side of the argument from our leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    So, why is Petraeus having to defend himself for voicing his concern for the troops if this nutjob goes through with his plan? We need to hear that side of the argument from our leaders.
    To which article are you referring? CSM's "Should Petraeus have weighed in on Koran burning? General defends himself."?

Secretary of State Clinton described burning Korans as 'disgraceful, disrespectful, outragious, and aberrational."

White House advisor David Axelrod said they had the right to do it but that it offends our values and threatens our security

The State Department called plans to burn the Koran 'un-American'.

Republican leader Haley Barbour condemned the burning, saying there was no excuse for it but also said it was a distraction from economic problems.

Sarah Palin said the Koran burning was antithetical to American ideas and might provoke strife. She asked the Pastor to not burn Korans.

Ron Paul agrees with General Petraeus but says that Petraeus doesn't see the larger picture regarding how our occupation of the middle east is also inflamatory; that the tortures and deaths caused by Americans is probably more objectionable than burning Korans.
    Ron Paul on Quran Burning: “The Real Provocateurs”
    Last edited by oladub; September-08-10 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Jimaz, that's the one.

Lots of people, including Christian evangelical leaders, even Billy Graham, are coming out against this church's plan. I especially love this quote:

Nevertheless, NAE President Leith Anderson issued a statement Wednesday asking Muslims not to judge "all Christians by the behavior of one extremist. One person with 30 silent followers does not speak for 300 million Americans who will never burn a Koran."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010090806311
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-08-10 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Jimaz, that's the one.
    Good. We have a toe-hold on the Petraeus defense reference.

A caller on ThomHartmann.com today recommended declaring September 11th as a "National Buy a Koran Day," not as an act of contrition toward Muslims [[as some radical militant "Christians" would have us believe) but rather as a sincere effort to reach out and display American citizenry's eagerness to more deeply understand this quagmire into which we've been led.

I think it's time for Obama to make his statement about the Koran burning [[the same thing he said about the mosque at ground zero):
    "Let me be clear, as a citizen, and as president, I believe that Christians have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country. That includes the right to burn whatever books they desire, in accordance with local laws and ordinances."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    A caller on ThomHartmann.com today recommended declaring September 11th as a "National Buy a Koran Day," not as an act of contrition toward Muslims [[as some radical militant "Christians" would have us believe) but rather as a sincere effort to reach out and display American citizenry's eagerness to more deeply understand this quagmire into which we've been led.
    That suggestion screams of a move toward tolerance and a desire to understand. Two things I believe some on the right are completely incapable of, either through motivation to resist or stupidity.

To compare building a church to burning a sacred book is certainly a malicious twist. I suppose if the church was into human sacrifice, you would expect Obama to apply the same principal, Jiminm?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast