Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

agreed dw, too bad they decided to tear it down about 17 years later when they built the Theodore Levin [[Carl and Sander's uncle) Federal Building.

larger view:
    http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...art=;resnum=20

This is a pic of the Board of Commerce building dated 1953. On the far right you can see the edge of the Owen Building. A quick search on google books, if you limit the date range, the latest mention I can find of the Owen Building is 1952 ...

Of interest, but off topic, is the difference between the circa 1920 Board of Commerce pic and the one above. Looks like building upwards used to be a good idea.

After the old post office was torn down and the site being prepared for Teddy Levin's place:

Owen Building in background.
    date: 1932

larger view: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...art=;resnum=12

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    175 12th was an office building between the river and Jefferson, among other offices and warehouses, some of which were also occupied by produce companies. Probably because of the rail terminal at the foot of 12th.

From the 1929 Polk's Detroit directory:

Attachment 7619
    Maybe I missed it when I was at the library yesterday but how do you search by address..not name..in the polk directory?

And again thank you all! This has been very interesting and wonderful info

There were some produce businesses down by 12th St. and W. Jefferson by the railroad there for quite a long time. I remember going down to Badalamenti's there to pick up bananas in the late '70s.

Wintersmommy,
    You might try just calling Chris Billmeyer at Ben B. Schwartz and asking him about those documents. My sister dealt with them during her years as a caterer and found them very easy-going.

gnome,
    You do know that that building wasn't named for Theodore Levin until 1995 [[he was a federal judge there for about 25 years). Before that it was always just "The Federal Building" or, after the building of the McNamara Building,"The old Federal Building"

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There were some produce businesses down by 12th St. and W. Jefferson by the railroad there for quite a long time. I remember going down to Badalamenti's there to pick up bananas in the late '70s.

Wintersmommy,
    You might try just calling Chris Billmeyer at Ben B. Schwartz and asking him about those documents. My sister dealt with them during her years as a caterer and found them very easy-going.

gnome,
    You do know that that building wasn't named for Theodore Levin until 1995 [[he was a federal judge there for about 25 years). Before that it was always just "The Federal Building" or, after the building of the McNamara Building,"The old Federal Building"
    Thank you for the tip...

To get permission to use/view info posted on the Ben B. Schwartz website, I would use their contact information and ask to talk to someone about it so you can explain why you want it and what you will use it for. The contact info is under About Us, Our Staff. There is a contact us link on that page, and names and phone numbers. I would call either the CEO or COO. Good luck! Great pix, I agree, and they have those booklets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    Maybe I missed it when I was at the library yesterday but how do you search by address..not name..in the polk directory?
    The Street and Avenue Guide and Directory of Householders is towards the back.
    Pages 2197 to 2650 in the 1928 directory.
    Pages 1477 to 1818 in the 1895 directory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Hi Mike,

I checked the site but didn't see the 1922-23 directory. Do you have a link for it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2