Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    I'm more annoyed by his "straight out the trailer" shtick than his mediocre music or Detroit repping, considering his dad was a big car dealer, but whatever. Pop music is full of fake proles. I eagerly await his film debut, "23 Mile".

Bob Ritchie did his share of slumming downriver as well. He used to party with one of my neighbors before he made it big. A friend used to wait on Joe C at McDonald's. We're all happy to have contributed to Bob's street cred.
    Slumming downriver?

It was slumming for him. I like downriver. I live here.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    I didn't know my opinion on a musician dragging our city's name through the mud had anything to do with regional politics. It means something to me that Detroit music is the best in the world.

Who are these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Who are these guys?
    The Temptations.

The 60,000 people going to the Eminem/Jay-Z concerts would disagree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't know anything about this guy or what he does, but rap sucks. ALL rap. Pure garbage. Period.

LodgeDodger Guest

Ohhhhhh...

The founders of "Detroit Techno" were from Belleville. Most Motown artists weren't from Detroit, nor live in Detroit anymore.

Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    It was slumming for him. I like downriver. I live here.
    Me as well

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Regions in the US that thrive do so in no small part because they don't have to deal with this kind of stupid bullshit on the scale that Detroit does.
    People in Chicago may make fun of Schaumburg or Naperville, but nobody every questions suburbanites if they claim Chicago. It's sad more than anything because people outside of Detroit are LOL about it.

I always say I'm from Downriver Detroit, the Detroit area, or SE Michigan. It's tiresome to have someone get all pious and give you the "but you're not REALLY from Detroit" speech, so I just nip it in the bud.

The 60,000 people going to the Eminem/Jay-Z concerts
    Just proves there are at least 60,000 idiots.

And it figures, some still took my point way out of context.

Change that to 60,001

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What people here fail to understand about the whole SE Michigan/Metro Detroit/Detroit proper thing is the whole double standard associated with it [[and this is what pisses off people who are REALLY working & living in the city proper).

The suburbanites are fair weather friends. When the Tigers/Red Wings/Lions [[yeah, you'll see where I'm going with it) win a championship, or the events like the Thanksgiving Day Parade or Fireworks come along, these suburbanites are all on a roll about "Oh, Detroit is such a great city and I love how we all can come together and celebrate and that's what we must do to weather this harsh economic times." but if ANYTHING negative comes along, the first thing they spew is "Oh, we don't live in Detroit, we live in Livonia [[Sterling Heights, Eastpointe, Troy, Royal Oak, etc.)!!!" or they start that SE Michigan bullshit.

If you're going to utilize the Detroit name and it's stance as a major city, I personally think you should take the neagtive and positive criticism that comes along with it. You simply can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Isn't it nice to just make generalizations about suburbanites?? Isn't it much easier to just lump them all together, than to make a well thought out reply?? ...that would likely require thought...

After all based on all that you say... all suburbanites keep an "I hate Detroit" button at the ready... just in case the 5PM newscast has a negative story on Detroit on any particular day... Otherwise we can wear our "I love Detroit" T-Shirts...

Yes a lot of suburbanites do show up at the victory parade in Detroit [[and FYI... even the Pistons of Auburn Hills have their victory parades in downtown Detroit)... but these victory celebrations have a majority younger suburban crowd [[not those older "I ain't been downtown in 30 years" folks). Maybe you need to understand that distinction??

And for those suburbanites that only come into the city a few times a year... why do you care?? It's a free country... and if they want to visit the city's crown jewels and then hightail it back to the suburbs... again who cares?? At least they're helping to keep afloat the cultural institutions that are already hurting due to lower corporate support. [[Detroiters alone sure aren't keeping them afloat!)

This Detroit versus Suburbs lunacy has to stop... and 313XY... even though you live in Detroit... as long as you think that way... you're part of the problem... not part of the solution....
    Last edited by Gistok; September-01-10 at 04:12 PM.

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And it figures, some still took my point way out of context.

You had a point? Aside from suburbs are evil, I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO agree and understand where he is going with this...cause its true. Remember Malice at the Palace? All of a sudden they wanted to share that with Detroit....remember the Detroit riots? ALl I hear is how it affected the CITY and not the METRO....
    You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong in your assessment....

When you say "they wanted to share that with Detroit".... who is this "they" of which you speak???

It's not folks in metro Detroit.... it's folks outside of the region that like to lump the mayhem that the "Detroit Pistons" had to problems with Detroit. Anyone who lives in metro Detroit with half a brain knows that the city of Detroit had nothing to do with the fracus at the Palace.

And DS... you're smart enough to know that!!

I often wonder why Detroit is the way it is. Having never fully recovered like most other big cities. But this post explains a lot of it.

Much of Detroit's bad image isn't because of people from outside of the region but from people who are "IN" the region. For some odd reason, if you don't live in the city limits, you're not allowed to call Detroit your home. People don't behave this way in Chicagoland or the Greater New York City area. It's just not that important of an issue, although it may be true. People from the Chicago suburbs are proud of the city and openly embrace what a great city it is. Despite all of Chicago's many problems they love the city and fully claim it. They support the teams, the arts, the restaurants etc...same as in New York City. This strange topic of conversation would never take place in those cities. At least not at this level.

If a person loves Detroit enough to write music about it or even claim it, then that's a positive thing. If kid Rock wrote "dis" songs about Detroit, then you'd all be dogging the guy out too. He can't win. Detroiter's must stop being haters and embrace a "one for all and all for one" attitude about Detroit.

Detroiter's are buggin out on this one man...

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I often wonder why Detroit is the way it is. Having never fully recovered like most other big cities. But this post explains a lot of it.

Much of Detroit's bad image isn't because of people from outside of the region but from people who are "IN" the region. For some odd reason, if you don't live in the city limits, you're not allowed to call Detroit your home. People don't behave this way in Chicagoland or the Greater New York City area. It's just not that important of an issue, although it may be true. People from the Chicago suburbs are proud of the city and openly embrace what a great city it is. Despite all of Chicago's many problems they love the city and fully claim it. They support the teams, the arts, the restaurants etc...same as in New York City. This strange topic of conversation would never take place in those cities. At least not at this level.

If a person loves Detroit enough to write music about it or even claim it, then that's a positive thing. If kid Rock wrote "dis" songs about Detroit, then you'd all be dogging the guy out too. He can't win. Detroiter's must stop being haters and embrace a "one for all and all for one" attitude about Detroit.

Detroiter's are buggin out on this one man...
    The best post in the whole thread.

Will this mentality ever end?

Yea its crazy, some folks just dont get the boundries. I love Detroit[[although I dont, and never have, and hopefully will never live in Detroit.) Romeo is not Detroit therfore to say you are from Detroit when you are from Romeo, or Warren, or any other city in the nation that is not Detroit is not true and I would wonder why on would say that. Detroit is Detroit. Warren is Warren, Petoski is Petoski, and Flint is Flint. I think folks just want to say they are from there because its a big name city. If one is from Newport Beach they dont say they are from LA. If one is from Highland Park they dont claim they are from Chicago. If one is from Dover they dont claim they are from London. Just ignorant to say one is from Detroit if one is from Dearborn [[for example). A crazy topic, but cities do have boundries, and for good reasons. Should we all just claim that we are from Canada. I mean its only several miles away. A town is a town. If you are from Romeo than you are not from Detroit. Common sence really.

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    The best post in the whole thread.

Will this mentality ever end?
    Agreed. I would say what illwill posted would ring true for Toronto as well.

Great post illwill.

I also agree with the post above mine as well, but still agree that if one is from Romeo one should not say one is from Detroit unless you are lying for some paticular reason, which in this case is mula. Plus its only music. There are alot more outlandish claime out there than Kid Rocks stuff.

Here in Windsor we have Lasalle and Tecumesh physically connected on either side. There's no open space or tansition from one town to the next They could easily say to some out of towner that they're from Windsor just to make things easier...but they never do. It's always "I'm from Lasalle/Tecumseh" "Windsor? No, no,no,no,no,no,no......no. Not from Windsor."

Could be wanting to dis-associate their gated communities with this lunch bucket town, or it could be that they actually have some pride in where they live. But never do I here themselves refer to themselves as Windsorites.

Dude is a solid workhorse, Ive always loved his music but didn't really have respect for them man until I heard him in an interview on the radio. Hes no scholar, and thats why I can relate. He wants to do right by by Michigan as well as Detroit so hes okay by me.

Fuck the lines drawn on a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Fuck the lines drawn on a map.
    Many problems would just .....screw off, if everyone had that attitude. Ah well......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast