Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

This thread is flawed in very many ways. Almost everything has been said so I won't beat a dead horse.

Kid Rock has done and still does a lot for the city of Detroit, I'm not exactly sure how he drags us through the mud with his music because YOU don't like it. He has earned a reputation as one of the hardest working people in the business and is known as one of the best live performances today.

I'm sorry this thread is just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I like how everyone ignores this point. I guess since EVERYTHING is apparently Detroit, it doesn't matter.

I wonder if L. Brooks Patterson would consider that "poaching" or just good hearty capitalism.

It is great to know that if I move to Memphis MI or Armada I still live in Detroit
    Since Patterson is MUM on whether the Pistons move to Detroit or not... perhaps you should take a page from him....

DC48080 Guest

You hit the nail right on the head JROLLA. This garbage is so old.

Kid Rock says he's from Detroit, cool, we'll take 'em. He's a talented guy. Rock on, rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I've liked Bob Seger for 40 years but if it's true he was born in Dearborn and not Detroit [[as he says) then I'm switching my loyalties to Justin Bieber. Oh wait, he was actually born in London, Ontario and just grew up down the road in Stratford. Is nothing sacred?
    I thought he was from Lincoln Park?

I was born in Detroit,but I can't sing worth a shit.Hey maybe I should start touring.

Ted Nugent.

Alice Cooper.

Alice Cooper rocks.

I was born in Detroit, lived 25 years in Warren, 6 in Roseville. I'm a Detroiter.

I have some odd kind of sentimental attachment to this oddly fantastic dump on its last legs. Can I be a Detroiter?
    Last edited by fryar; August-31-10 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Just a dump, you say?

Selling 'Made in Detroit' products has helped to keep my little business alive during these tough times. They are good people to work with. I may not be the Kid Rocks biggest fan, but he and his employees truly care about Detroit and the whole metro area.

One vote that Kid Rock is from [[metro) Detroit and another that he is good for the region's brand [[he promotes our link to musical popularity).

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I don't see anyone getting upset at these commercials touting things made/grown in Michigan with Steve Yzerman saying "pure michigan" or something like that. He's not from the state, he's not from the city, he's not even from America, but he sure can bring money to it and most people love him for it.
    I say who cares, let him bring you money. Who complains about getting money?

401don....you just ruined my day. I had no clue that little turd was a fellow countryman. I hang my head in shame...........

yeah

f-steve yzerman, don't let the "not really from detroit" door hit you in the ass on your way to your new job...

A lot of the Motown people were not from Detroit. Stevie Wonder, Jackson 5 ... but I think we are all happy to claim them as ours.

What people here fail to understand about the whole SE Michigan/Metro Detroit/Detroit proper thing is the whole double standard associated with it [[and this is what pisses off people who are REALLY working & living in the city proper).

The suburbanites are fair weather friends. When the Tigers/Red Wings/Lions [[yeah, you'll see where I'm going with it) win a championship, or the events like the Thanksgiving Day Parade or Fireworks come along, these suburbanites are all on a roll about "Oh, Detroit is such a great city and I love how we all can come together and celebrate and that's what we must do to weather this harsh economic times." but if ANYTHING negative comes along, the first thing they spew is "Oh, we don't live in Detroit, we live in Livonia [[Sterling Heights, Eastpointe, Troy, Royal Oak, etc.)!!!" or they start that SE Michigan bullshit.

If you're going to utilize the Detroit name and it's stance as a major city, I personally think you should take the neagtive and positive criticism that comes along with it. You simply can't have your cake and eat it too.

BTW, about Justin Bieber and London, Ontario, I would think London is more so associated with Toronto than Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Anybody else appreciate the irony that when Kid Rock bought the clothing label Made in Detroit, he pulled it out of the city and relocated in Clarkston? What -- Made in Clarkston doesn't have enough cache?

Still better than Made in Bangladesh - probably a heckuva lot cheaper to base it there

/did you hear you spelled cachet wrong?
    //you spelled cachet wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What people here fail to understand about the whole SE Michigan/Metro Detroit/Detroit proper thing is the whole double standard associated with it [[and this is what pisses off people who are REALLY working & living in the city proper).

The suburbanites are fair weather friends. When the Tigers/Red Wings/Lions [[yeah, you'll see where I'm going with it) win a championship, or the events like the Thanksgiving Day Parade or Fireworks come along, these suburbanites are all on a roll about "Oh, Detroit is such a great city and I love how we all can come together and celebrate and that's what we must do to weather this harsh economic times." but if ANYTHING negative comes along, the first thing they spew is "Oh, we don't live in Detroit, we live in Livonia [[Sterling Heights, Eastpointe, Troy, Royal Oak, etc.)!!!" or they start that SE Michigan bullshit.

If you're going to utilize the Detroit name and it's stance as a major city, I personally think you should take the neagtive and positive criticism that comes along with it. You simply can't have your cake and eat it too.

BTW, about Justin Bieber and London, Ontario, I would think London is more so associated with Toronto than Detroit.
    It's hard to argue with that, there are a LOT of people like that. At the same time there are a lot of good people that come from the burbs that truly do care about the city good or bad, and even those people get shot down because they don't live in the city necessarily.

It's frustrating for everybody. But shooting down someone who does care about the city [[Kid Rock) is wrong. The city needs more people like him. To stand up.

I don't have a problem with Kid Rock pushing/promoting Detroit, even though he's not really from Detroit proper. At least he tries to connect with all of the people from the area and it's troubles. It's better than that ........./know-it-all Ted Nugent and his extreme right wing rants. The former Motor City Madman is now a Texas blowhard.

Kid Rock spend his time with his family up north [[ somewhere in Northern Michigan).

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    yeah

f-steve yzerman, don't let the "not really from detroit" door hit you in the ass on your way to your new job...
    Are you serious? The guy gave his heart and soul to the Red Wings for almost 30 years. He had the talent and capability to be a general manager, but there was NO way he was going to get that opportunity here as long as Ken Holland was still there.

So, what would you prefer? The Red Wings push out the guy widely regarded as the best general manager in professional sports or are you suggesting that Yzerman was supposed to sit behind the scenes for five, ten, twenty years or however long Holland wanted to keep the job?

Anybody who was a real fan of Yzerman and who had any appreciation for what he gave to this city should automatically make Tampa Bay their second favorite team. Anybody that holds any ill will toward Yzerman for taking the Tampa job needs to seriously get a dose of appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Are you serious? The guy gave his heart and soul to the Red Wings for almost 30 years. He had the talent and capability to be a general manager, but there was NO way he was going to get that opportunity here as long as Ken Holland was still there.

So, what would you prefer? The Red Wings push out the guy widely regarded as the best general manager in professional sports or are you suggesting that Yzerman was supposed to sit behind the scenes for five, ten, twenty years or however long Holland wanted to keep the job?

Anybody who was a real fan of Yzerman and who had any appreciation for what he gave to this city should automatically make Tampa Bay their second favorite team. Anybody that holds any ill will toward Yzerman for taking the Tampa job needs to seriously get a dose of appreciation.
    I think there was a bit or sarcasm there.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO agree and understand where he is going with this...cause its true. Remember Malice at the Palace? All of a sudden they wanted to share that with Detroit....remember the Detroit riots? ALl I hear is how it affected the CITY and not the METRO....

I guess if people here in the city dont want us suburb types we can take the revenue sharing and our income taxes we pay to work in the city home with us then huh?

http://www.crcmich.org/PUBLICAT/2010s/2010/memo1098.pdf

I am glad to say i work in the city and try to support local businesses when I am in the city UNTIL I read some posts on here.

I'm more annoyed by his "straight out the trailer" shtick than his mediocre music or Detroit repping, considering his dad was a big car dealer, but whatever. Pop music is full of fake proles. I eagerly await his film debut, "23 Mile".

Bob Ritchie did his share of slumming downriver as well. He used to party with one of my neighbors before he made it big. A friend used to wait on Joe C at McDonald's. We're all happy to have contributed to Bob's street cred.

not a fan but I do appreciate his loyalty to the area. Look at all the Detroiter's who made it big and left. We still salute them, well must if them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast