Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

WOW, that's an interesting video 7 and Kelly kid. The visit on Linnhurst showed my other Grandparents' house on Linnhurst just before McCrarry. I couldn't believe the new houses. Then, a vacant lot, then 2 boarded up houses and my Grandparents' house was the second boarded up house. Surprised it's still standing. Great but depressing video. You must have balls of steel to drive down those streets.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Wow! I actually lived right around the corner and within about 5 or 6 houses of Uncle Paul's for TWELVE YEARS from '90 to '02 and if I tried their pizza at all - and I'm sure I must have at least once - it was only once. I became a devoted fan of Hungry Howie's right next door.

Since we're now on the subject of favorite old restaurants, another couple favorites of mine were two hamburger places on Harper between Morang and Cadieux: Daly's and Genevas. Dalyburgers had a wonderful special sauce, and Geneva's was famous for the 5 sliders for $1.98 [[or later $2.98). Though come to think of it it's a good thing I got out of that habit well before I was out of my 20's.

Here's a picture of the site as of 2001: Genevas was [[maybe still is) there; and the site that used to be Daly's [[which afterwards temporarily became a Greek restaurant) was [[maybe still is) Tubby's.

Attachment 1444

Several years after Daly's from Harper closed down, I learned that there was still a Daly's or two operating on the west side - I believe one was on Plymouth Road and my wife and I used to go there once in a while. The Dalyburgers were just like I remembered them.

Geneva's was a slider I didn't discover until I moved into my own apartment on Warren and Chalmers, but IMO were some of the best around.

Quote Originally Posted by a100driver View Post
    WOW, that's an interesting video 7 and Kelly kid. The visit on Linnhurst showed my other Grandparents' house on Linnhurst just before McCrarry. I couldn't believe the new houses. Then, a vacant lot, then 2 boarded up houses and my Grandparents' house was the second boarded up house. Surprised it's still standing. Great but depressing video. You must have balls of steel to drive down those streets.
    Actually, 7_and_Kelly_Kid passed away last year. May God rest his dear soul. He had started the original Eastwood Memories thread on the old Discuss Detroit forum, and was an important contributor to the Morang, Heilmann, Denby and St. Jude threads as well. It was coincidental I selected a similar identity when I signed up in April of 2008.
    Last edited by 7andkelly; May-27-09 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Several years after Daly's from Harper closed down, I learned that there was still a Daly's or two operating on the west side - I believe one was on Plymouth Road and my wife and I used to go there once in a while. The Dalyburgers were just like I remembered them.
    I remember two Daly's on the west side. One was near I94 on Belleville Rd, and the other on Huron River Drive near Northline. Great Burgers.

Missed out on Geneva's.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    There are still Sinclair's out west. These are a couple pics from Wyoming a couple years ago
    Attachment 1427
    Attachment 1426
    This is too cool, J! Dino is even fitted with a saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    This is too cool, J! Dino is even fitted with a saddle.
    Yep, I was outside a gas station in rural Wyoming at 11pm with my 28 year old daughter riding a dinosaur. Yee-haw

The cheapest gas I recall during my life time was at the Kelly Rd. Sinclair....19.9 cents a gallon of regular gas.[[ early 60s) including full service, gift stamps, and give aways [[ such as dino soap or a dinosaur plastic bank). The Sunoco, Gulf, and Shell stations on Kelly and Morang and even the Pure [[later Union 76) station on Moross/Fordham were considerably more expensive.

DISCUSSION: Where did your family fill up or get oil changed/lube?

hey group, back in the saddle from being up in Annapolis. Really liked the pictures of Kelly and all the businesses. I remember the Sanders dry cleaner used to put matchbooks in the pockets of suits - never realized this till we cleaned out Dad's suits that he put away after he retired - quite a fire hazard. As for where we got gas and oil changes, we went to Doug Muir's Standard on Morang and Landsdowne. Had all our repairs done there - honest and good prices. He had a guy named Lenny - big Italian guy who we used to ask for personally. His wife Helen was a waitress at Kavan's back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    The cheapest gas I recall during my life time was at the Kelly Rd. Sinclair....19.9 cents a gallon of regular gas.[[ early 60s) including full service, gift stamps, and give aways [[ such as dino soap or a dinosaur plastic bank). The Sunoco, Gulf, and Shell stations on Kelly and Morang and even the Pure [[later Union 76) station on Moross/Fordham were considerably more expensive.

DISCUSSION: Where did your family fill up or get oil changed/lube?

My family used the Sandles Bros, I think it was a Marathon on Kelly right next to Chatham's.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    My family used the Sandles Bros, I think it was a Marathon on Kelly right next to Chatham's.
    After Sinclair left, the Marathon on Kelly was our gas station too. [[later it was the Marathon on Kelly in East Detroit)..... Who can forget when the gas jumped from 30cents/gal to 55 cents over night during the oil embargo?

Last edited by zitro; December-12-09 at 01:07 PM.

Sandal's Brothers was a Mobil gas station. It was on the corner of Woodcrest and Kelly. The owner lived somewhere around 7 mile...can't remember which street. I remember there was one guy name Reggie, a guy named Rick [[younger than Reggie) and I think there was one more but can't remember his name. After the gas station, Reggie started a mobile mechanic business. He drove a white van and would come to your house and work on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post
    Sandal's Brothers was a Mobil gas station. It was on the corner of Woodcrest and Kelly. The owner lived somewhere around 7 mile...can't remember which street. I remember there was one guy name Reggie, a guy named Rick [[younger than Reggie) and I think there was one more but can't remember his name. After the gas station, Reggie started a mobile mechanic business. He drove a white van and would come to your house and work on your car.

Yes, thanks Jet ,I remember the mobile van that Reggie drove around

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post
    The Marathon station I recall was just a block or two north of Chatham's. Was the Mobil station near NBD?

You are right...I had forgotten about the Marathon. It was on the corner of Woodland and Kelly, the north side of Woodland. The Mobil was across Woodcrest from NBD.

Early on I remember my mom gassing up at the Standard station at Seven and Kelly. Later, my brother worked for a spell at the Sunoco on Kelly and Morang, and we migrated over there. Does anyone remember the owner/name of that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Early on I remember my mom gassing up at the Standard station at Seven and Kelly. Later, my brother worked for a spell at the Sunoco on Kelly and Morang, and we migrated over there. Does anyone remember the owner/name of that one?
    Don't remember anyone over on the Kelly Morang corner. It's a wonder sometimes how one's family chooses a gas station. Usually it's convenience of location, price of gas, or a familiar mechanic. Our family lived on either Eastwood or Morang and I don't recall EVER going to a gas station on Kelly/Morang. We used the Pure gas station [[Fordham and Moross), a block away, for an oil change and lube. We also used the Pure station for air for cars and bikes.[[but never for gas) ....still remember the ching, ching as the air entered my 24 inch police auction bike. The gauge was cranked to 30 PSI. It was a blue pump with a silver crank handle on the side......Does anyone remember that air pump at PURE? The one time that I used the air at the Shell station on Kelly/Morang I didn't realize that the air compressor was calibrated quite differently than the Pure station. I can still hear the ringing in my ears from when my rear bike tire exploded

Don't remember anyone over on the Kelly Morang corner. It's a wonder sometimes how one's family chooses a gas station. Usually it's convenience of location, price of gas, or a familiar mechanic. Our family lived on either Eastwood or Morang and I don't recall EVER going to a gas station on Kelly/Morang. We used the Pure gas station [[Fordham and Moross), a block away, for an oil change and lube. We also used the Pure station for air for cars and bikes.[[but never for gas) ....still remember the ching, ching as the air entered my 24 inch police auction bike. The gauge was cranked to 30 PSI. It was a blue pump with a silver crank handle on the side......Does anyone remember that air pump at PURE? The one time that I used the air at the Shell station on Kelly/Morang I didn't realize that the air compressor was calibrated quite differently than the Pure station. I can still hear the ringing in my ears from when my rear bike tire exploded
    Most of the time I filled my own tires with our own manual air pump. I do remember Pure gas station well. Used to get candy out of their neat vending machine. It's the only place I can remember getting Chuckles candy.

I remember my dad and brother getting gas at the station on 8 and Kelly, next to Eastland. I don't remember what kind it was, but I remember 5 gallons for a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    That was my "preferred" station for many years in the early to mid 80's. I don't know what their first name was, but I believe it was a father-son team and I remember for sure that their last name was Farr because that was the name that appeared on my charge slips when I bought my gas there. I can still visualize the older guy's face. They were good, and I often had them do mechanical work as well. I believe that he once told me he lived somewhere on State Fair, though just where on State Fair I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Most of the time I filled my own tires with our own manual air pump. I do remember Pure gas station well. Used to get candy out of their neat vending machine. It's the only place I can remember getting Chuckles candy.
    We used a hand pump also to fill bike tires [[and as Bill Cosby asked "Why is there air?.. to fill basketballs) . At times I think using the air pump at Pure was just an excuse to hang out. BTW thanks for the great memory jog...Chuckles were my favorite out of that vending machine too. [[The orange or cherry were my favorite, the black licorice was the least favorite, but gradually acquired a taste for it)

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I remember my dad and brother getting gas at the station on 8 and Kelly, next to Eastland. I don't remember what kind it was, but I remember 5 gallons for a buck.
    I think one of the first Total stations in the area was at that location but that would have been later in the 70s.

My first credit cards were gasoline cards, and Shell was the very first so I bought my gas at the NW corner of Morang and Kelly. It wasn't cheap either in '76.

Oh, and GO WINGS!!!

Ozzie was great in net once again this evening.

Now we get to play Cindy Crosby and the Pits for all the marbles ... I cantstanzem.

I think one of the first Total stations in the area was at that location but that would have been later in the 70s.
    Yes, it was a Total station - and I think it remained a Total station well throughout most if not all of the 80's.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast