Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Was that you as a wee little lad?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Was that you as a wee little lad?
    ...and such a short time ago it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    ...and such a short time ago it was.
    The tunnel of elm trees bring back bitter sweet memories don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    The tunnel of elm trees bring back bitter sweet memories don't they?

Cool pics 7 and we have been wondering all of this time if you truly existed.

On my block there was one small opening in the canopy of elms which if I placed it right I could bounce my Superball off the street right up into the opening and catch it. If it hit a branch and got redirected it was a mad scamble to try and catch if before htting a neighbors car.

Which reminds me cfg. You were supposed to do the Superball experiment down that hallway in the lower church and film it.
    Last edited by zitro; May-21-09 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Cool pics 7 and we have been wondering all of this time if you truly existed.

On my block there was one small opening in the canopy of elms which if I placed it right I could bounce my Superball off the street right up into the opening and catch it. If it hit a branch and got redirected it was a made scamble to try and catch if before htting a neighbors car.

Which reminds me cfg. You were supposed to do the Superball experiment down that hallway in the lower church and film it.
    Tennis balls were great for curb ball, and Redmond curbs were much better for the game than Eastwood ones. Once in a while I would load up the bases with some cheap singles, and then go for the grand slam. I'm sure they were on to my intention when I announced, "The Gater is up to bat".

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    If it hit a branch and got redirected it was a made scamble to try and catch if before htting a neighbors car.
    I can picture that.

Those days, we used to hit people's cars all the time with all kinds of stuff, but it didn't matter because they actually used real metal back then, and it was thick as armor.

Tennis balls were great for curb ball, and Redmond curbs were much better for the game than Eastwood ones. Once in a while I would load up the bases with some cheap singles, and then go for the grand slam. I'm sure they were on to my intention when I announced, "The Gater is up to bat".

Tennis balls were one of those things we could never stand to pay for so we would scavenge around outside the fence of the tennis courts at Heilman to find the "lost one" laying around so we could play. Curb ball was great because you didn't worry about having to scrounge a bunch of guys to play.

Regular pick up games of hardball could be done with 4 or 5 guys per side. Anything hit to the right side of 2nd base was out. Picthers mound was out for ground balls. Sometimes you'd have to share a catcher is there was an odd amount of guys.

7: Sorry man, got to disagree. The only difference between the Redmond and Eastwood curbs is that Redmond had more available free space. We have to agree however that Eastwood curb ball players ruled over Saratoga ball players [[It's to bad they had squared off curbs). The best curb balls were the orange rubber ones obtained for 10 cents at the novelty shop on Kelly near Merit Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    7: Sorry man, got to disagree. The only difference between the Redmond and Eastwood curbs is that Redmond had more available free space. We have to agree however that Eastwood curb ball players ruled over Saratoga ball players [[It's to bad they had squared off curbs). The best curb balls were the orange rubber ones obtained for 10 cents at the novelty shop on Kelly near Merit Drugs.
    At least the Saratoga kids weren't as bad as the ones from Fordham or Mapleridge west of Hayes.

Orange rubber balls were better than tennis balls for curb ball, but not every kid with a Robert Hall gaspipe rack Sunday suit in his closet had one of those at the ready ... especially if was batted into someone's garden backyard off the blacktop.

And not only are Redmond curbs more suitably rounded for curb ball, but the street itself is segmented in four sections curb-to-curb leaving natural dividing lines for singles, doubles, triples and home runs.

I will agree to disagree on this one, KR.
    Last edited by 7andkelly; May-21-09 at 10:25 PM.

And not only are Redmond curbs more suitably rounded for curb ball, but the street itself is segmented in four sections curb-to-curb leaving natural dividing lines for singles, doubles, triples and home runs.

I will agree to disagree on this one, KR.[/quote]

The Eastwood curb ball courts aslo had sections for singles, doubles, triples, and homeruns.

7 and Kelly, that picture of you in the sport coat - was it your First Communion day? I ask because it reminds me an awful lot of a very similar picture of a young tyke who bore the initials EMG on HIS special day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    7 and Kelly, that picture of you in the sport coat - was it your First Communion day? I ask because it reminds me an awful lot of a very similar picture of a young tyke who bore the initials EMG on HIS special day!!!
    While I can neither confirm nor deny the subject of the picture[[s), I can attest this one is authentic Eastwood, and the white tie gives this away as a First Holy Communion day ensemble.

While I can neither confirm nor deny the subject of the picture[[s), I can attest this one is authentic Eastwood, and the white tie gives this away as a First Holy Communion day ensemble.
    Well, now I know who to look for at Two Kahuna's in Romeo.

I bet he hasn't changed a bit. Neither have I. Just check some of my FB pix for proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I bet he hasn't changed a bit. Neither have I. Just check some of my FB pix for proof.
    Hey, I still look JUST like my FB pic. At least to those who haven't seen me in a long time. Or met me yet.

I put a 20 year old picture up there for a while & no one even noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Well, now I know who to look for at Two Kahuna's in Romeo.
    I'm guessing if a person walked into Kahuna's wearing that jacket and white tie, they would definitely be standing out...outside that is. That other kid in the leaf pile might be in there, though, scarfing down a ground round a frosty root beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I put a 20 year old picture up there for a while & no one even noticed.

Probably because twenty years ago you were old already

Ouch...............................

I've added several additional pictures of the St. Jude / Heilmann area in the St. Jude Nostalgia thread. Check 'em out!

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...p?t=60&page=10

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I've added several additional pictures of the St. Jude / Heilmann area in the St. Jude Nostalgia thread. Check 'em out!

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...p?t=60&page=10
    Saw those over there. Great thread...great pictures.

This used to be Sinclair Gas Station on Kelly Rd. just inside Harper Woods back in the 60s. I remember them giving out a dinosaur bank and dinosaur bath soap.

This used to be Sinclair Gas Station on Kelly Rd. just inside Harper Woods back in the 60s. I remember them giving out a dinosaur bank and dinosaur bath soap.

Kool pic. I remember the soap

Candlelite Bar, Sweetheart Bakery, and Little Caesar's are still in business!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast