Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ray....very nice house! Love the Old English D!! I can't wait to meet you when you return!

It'll be sometime around the end of August, Blue.....and, likewise! Our dates aren't firmed up yet, but we'll be getting down to that early next month. Nice when you're retired and the schedule can be totally flexible.

Danny-- Things change .. The Paris reference probably goes back to the 1920s .... Detroit is more interesting now ---You never know where you'll find a corpse, or see a house that is still standing, or at least with a roof-- Detroit is like an old flea market, the only thing worth buying being the tiles on the floor

Trees were planted throughout the lower eastisde around Gratiot Vandyke area in 1976 and 1977. They were a different type of tree from the elms. The neighborhood had deteriorated, not as much as Gratiot Seymour area, but the trees are still growing

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Yeah, you get that in the desert states. I know people love NV and AZ, but to me it always feels like something is missing out of the landscape...
    I moved from MI to AZ in 2001 and at first it sure did seem like "something was missing out of the landscape" but after a few months to a year I got used to it. I do remember driving through an area in my first month out here and looking at some houses for sale and being sticker-shocked at the $500,000-plus asking prices for houses that I thought were in a "poor" looking neighborhood. Now in retrospect there is nothing "poor" about those neighborhoods - they just didn't have grass! On the flipside, there is one boulevard running through Scottsdale that goes through a "wash" area that is heavily landscaped and lush with lawns and trees [[Hayden from Shea to Indian Bend, for those who are familiar with Scottsdale and want the reference point!) which every time I drive it reminds me of Lakeshore Drive from the Ford House to Vernier. As you approach Indian Bend from the north, there is a clearing that with a vivid imagination would almost pass for the appearance of Lake St. Clair after the Yacht Club. The only difference is there's no Yacht Club and no lake - just wide-open Indian reservation with flat desert landscape!

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    My grandparents lived near Moross and I-94 in the 80's. I remember them coming down their street cutting down all the dead elms vividly. It had a pretty huge impact on how nice the street looked.
    I remember this. I lived on Nottingham between Morang and Britain during that time and I remember in particular that many of the streets north of Morang and going towards Moross were HEAVILY "forested." My own street Nottingham was one of them - with Somerset, the next street over, a close second. Both streets [[along with many others) were DECIMATED in the elm cut-down.

lilpup Guest

I remember the dappled sunlight on the pavement of my childhood street - small patches that shimmered when the wind blew. Fortunately we had a few oaks and maples mixed in that are still around now.

One of the current scourges of treescapes is electrical lines and the utilities newish obsession with keeping them clear of branches. The utilities never had the clear cut mindset they do now. It's also prompted some places to opt more for dwarf tree species that will never attain the grandeur of the great elms.

Here in Arizona many neighborhoods including my own have most electrical lines run underground - which eliminates the issue of having to trim trees around power lines. It also eliminates those nasty power outages that occur every time an errant tree branch takes down a line [[the bane of many a summer when I lived in Grosse Pointe Woods).

Found this photo. What a difference.

The Northwestern and B.C. forests have a terrific bark beetle problem that leaves blocks of standing dead pines and firs. I know it's not Dutch Elm, but every time I go into our local national forest, I'm reminded of the toll Dutch Elm took on Southeast Michigan when I was a kid....

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I remember the dappled sunlight on the pavement of my childhood street - small patches that shimmered when the wind blew. Fortunately we had a few oaks and maples mixed in that are still around now.

One of the current scourges of treescapes is electrical lines and the utilities newish obsession with keeping them clear of branches. The utilities never had the clear cut mindset they do now. It's also prompted some places to opt more for dwarf tree species that will never attain the grandeur of the great elms.
    When I was a kid in Detroit, the electric lines and the phone lines ran through the alleys behind the houses. These were kept free of trees and tree branches that would possibly endanger the lines. On the streets where the trees grew, there were no lines to endanger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2