Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Parking Lot on Woodward and Baltimore

I'm assuming that the College of Creative Studies owns the lot. If they do, when do they use it? Whenever I've passed it, I've only seen one car in the lot. I thought the new parking structure that they built would handle most of their parking needs. The lot on Woodward had been vacant for years. It was my hope that something like a small grocery store or a Walgreen's would have gone on that site and would have been a better development for that site. What's the story?

It was supose to be the location of an intra-model transportation station for amtrak, ddot and sempta busses, llight rail etc. Why and who paved it for a parking lot is a question I would also like to know.
    I would prefer that the amtrak and [[future) commuter trains from the airport stop at the MCS along with VIA Rail service from Canada. The commuter train could extend to Downtown and terminate at near a people mover station using an existing railroad right-of-way with space for a station at the lower level of the Joe Louis parking garage [[which it was designed to accomedate).

Quote Originally Posted by leady106 View Post
    I would prefer that the amtrak and [[future) commuter trains from the airport stop at the MCS along with VIA Rail service from Canada. The commuter train could extend to Downtown and terminate at near a people mover station using an existing railroad right-of-way with space for a station at the lower level of the Joe Louis parking garage [[which it was designed to accomedate).
    THANK YOU.

I say make it a complete transit-hub, with Greyhound moving there as well [[it would certainly increase the usage of the station) and a commuter rail line to Metro Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I'm assuming that the College of Creative Studies owns the lot. If they do, when do they use it? Whenever I've passed it, I've only seen one car in the lot.
    I think that is the Argonaut [[Taubman) building's parking lot. A security guard gave me a hard time for sitting on a bench in the lot while waiting for a friend to get in on the Amtrak train. This was before the Argonaut opened back up.

LodgeDodger Guest

The lot you write about is at Woodward and Amsterdam. The CCS does not own the lot.

The Taubman building IS the College for Creative Studies additional campus which also houses the colleges charter high school, School for Creative Studies, and dorm areas.

The lot in question is not owned by CCS.
    Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    I think that is the Argonaut [[Taubman) building's parking lot. A security guard gave me a hard time for sitting on a bench in the lot while waiting for a friend to get in on the Amtrak train. This was before the Argonaut opened back up.

to clarify: the parking lot between milwaukee and baltimore on woodward is owned by CCS and is used for parking for the argonaut building.

the parking lot currently going in between amsterdam and the railroad tracks on woodward is owned by the state of michigan [[at least as of a few months ago). this was originally going to be the site of a new train and intermodal station. at the moment, however, it is unlikely due to right-of-way issues with CN. [amtrak uses the rails to the north, while CN uses the tracks to the south. issues with this particular site is how to get people under or over the CN tracks to the amtrak side. currently it is deemed cost prohibitive.]

Other Clarifications: Its SEMTA, not SEMPTA. SEMTA has been SMART for about 20 years! You must be older than I am!

I would love to see VIA link to Detroit, but unfortunately the infrastructure is not there unless they move the location of the Windsor Station from Walkerville to another line, and the feds stop being so tight about border security.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Other Clarifications: Its SEMTA, not SEMPTA. SEMTA has been SMART for about 20 years! You must be older than I am!

I would love to see VIA link to Detroit, but unfortunately the infrastructure is not there unless they move the location of the Windsor Station from Walkerville to another line, and the feds stop being so tight about border security.
    How sad is it that one can cross the [[former) Iron Curtain without having to stop and show a passport, yet attempt to cross the longest unprotected border in the world and you're treated like an international criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    How sad is it that one can cross the [[former) Iron Curtain without having to stop and show a passport, yet attempt to cross the longest unprotected border in the world and you're treated like an international criminal.
    I agree, but I don't think that's likely to change for the foreseeable future. In olden [[pre-EU) times, they had trains that crossed borders. Customs officers would just come on the train and check your passport, and luggage if they deemed it necessary. Crossing the iron curtain was, of course, particularly difficult, but France -> Belgium, the guys in the funny hats just came on the train.