Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

GP north and Poupard have "always" been regarded as the problem children of the GP schools. It's 'always' been that way because there are lots of cheap housing options in GP woods and there is a slice of Harper Woods that is part of GP Schools. The scores, the fights, the petty crime at North has always been blamed on the kids from those areas. is that a cop out? I dont know. All I know is that GP North has all the same funding as South and all the same community resources, yet, year after year after year it under performs.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Perhaps the point wasn't made well enough, but at worse I was suggesting that GP Schools are in the same ballpark as the other schools. The poster who said that GP Schools were once top 25 in the nation, actually makes it look like they have fallen precipitously. I agree with you about the growing sentiment, and would argue [[as it seems you would) that it is misplaced as to the overall district.

I was also confirming the idea that GP North and Poupard within the GP School are more than marginally worse than comparable schools in the area. I think by any measure, those numbers suggest that.
    Nope, the point was clear. I re-read the thread and incorrectly attributed other posters comments to you. My mistake and my apologies to you.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Originally Posted by CLAUDE G
    As a former Alumni, I heard even GP north was starting to go to crap also/

When people say G.P. North is going to crap, what they really mean is that more black kids are going there.

Grosse Pointe Schools are doing just fine, as evidence by the fact they are continuously in the top 25 in the nation.
    Grosse Pointe south was Ranked 520th in the most recent Newsweek top Public High Schools in the US, and Grosse Pointe North was ranked 1187th.

While these rankins are not definitive, they are probably the most recognized rankings of public high schools in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    GP north and Poupard have "always" been regarded as the problem children of the GP schools. It's 'always' been that way because there are lots of cheap housing options in GP woods and there is a slice of Harper Woods that is part of GP Schools. The scores, the fights, the petty crime at North has always been blamed on the kids from those areas. is that a cop out? I dont know. All I know is that GP North has all the same funding as South and all the same community resources, yet, year after year after year it under performs.

That explanation doesn't make total sense as the very Western side of Grosse Pointe Park has some very affordable housing and also a lot of cheap rental units. When I graduated from North in 1986 I didn't recall any problems arising from the occupants of the cheap housing options in Grosse Pointe Woods ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    That explanation doesn't make total sense as the very Western side of Grosse Pointe Park has some very affordable housing and also a lot of cheap rental units. When I graduated from North in 1986 I didn't recall any problems arising from the occupants of the cheap housing options in Grosse Pointe Woods ghetto.
    I didn't really mean it as a total explanation...just the one that "everyone" uses. Clearly the real reason for the huge disparity is that kids that go to North are just dumber.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Nope, the point was clear. I re-read the thread and incorrectly attributed other posters comments to you. My mistake and my apologies to you.
    no worries whatsoever.

From today's Grosse Pointe News...

"Though no Grosse Pointe School has landed on the Michigan Department of Education worst performing list, two of the district's building have settled in mediocre territory. On the state's latest Top-to-Bottom ranking, Poupard School landed in the 69th percentile, followed by Grosse Pointe North High School in the 64th percentile."

"The Top-to-Bottom list, based on test scores and academic improvement, was developed using student testing data for math and reading on the Michigan Educational Assessment Program and the Michigan Merit Exam from the 2006-07 through 2009-10 school years."

Other district schools:
    Grosse Pointe South High School - 96.81 percentile

Defer Elementary School - 89.63 percentile
    Trombly Elementary School - 84.91 percentile

Defer and Trombly are in the far western end of the district in Grosse Pointe Park, nearest to Alter Road.

http://www.grossepointenews.com/Arti...rage_turf.html
    Last edited by GPCharles; August-26-10 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I agree, The housing in Grosse Pointe Park back in 1980s are still expensive than today even though its a low to some individual back then, including rentals. The housing today is still expensive to keep property values a float against lower property values from the other side of Alter Rd. in which it works as a demarcation border between the low-income blacks from Detroit and rich and wealthy white folks in the five points. The 5 blocks of Grosse Pointe Park from Alter Rd. to Beaconsfield St. is definately NOT a ghetto due to the rows of Detroit East Sidesque family flats, bungalows and colonials packed close with an alley access. But most white folks prefer to called it their 'ghetto or slum', I would just call it the boondocks.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

As a loose pit bull or a rottweiler steps or a DEAD [[C)KRAK HEAD walk across Alter Rd. and into Grosse Pointe Park.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; August-27-10 at 10:55 AM.

I'm just gonna say wow to this thread on HW. It boggles my mind.
    [[Class of '68)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2