Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    EMG-LOL your reference to the chapaton/ lingeman area rings true. I grew up in SCS, when I was a kid someone was following me one night from from 696. I took them through those streets so I could lose them and it worked!...I then scurried back home with no one in tow...
    Wow! Glad I was able to jog the memories. I knew someone who had actually worked as a garbage collector for St. Clair Shores in the 60's, and he said the crew always used to have to take turns working in their two least favorite assigned areas, what they referred to as "the jungle" and "the maze." "The jungle" apparently was the area northwest of Eleven Mile and Jefferson - if I remember correctly I think he said it was called that because there were undeveloped unpaved muddy streets in that area at the time - and "the Maze" was Chapaton/lingeman. This guy was also responsible for plowing snow in the winter and said there were times when they would finish their shift and then get called by their supervisor and sent back out because they had inadvertently missed an entire street in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Never wanted to start a thread about the following, but did you know that Houston-Whittier is really the continuation of Six Mile/McNichols and not Seymour. Given that fact and the fact that most of the mile road streets are commercial streets, Houston-Whittier should have been a commercial street from Gratiot to Hayes as well. You have to make long walks to the store if you live along that stretch of Houston-Whittier, unless you live a block from Gratiot or Hayes. Poor urban design, putting all those houses on that stretch of the street.
    Yeah, and if you continue Greiner past Gratiot it becomes Spring Garden.

Also, if you continue it westward past Outer Drive it becomes Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Well, that's true - many east side streets also made similar jogs at Morang and even at Six and/or Seven mile if you consider the west-of-Gratiot ones like Westphalia, Joann, etc.) - but relative to having to actually go a half mile out of and back into another neighborhood, for all practical purposes those little "jogs" were too inconsequential to even count.
    With the exception of Outer Drive, I doubt that any street makes as many zigzags as Beaconsfield. It starts at Jefferson in GPP, north of I-94 it make a sharp turn to the northeast... then crosses over thru Harper Woods and continues on into St. Clair Shores parallel to I-94. It stops at 9 Mile, but starts up again at 13 1/2 Mile [[Masonic).

DC48080 Guest

Actually Beaconsfield begins south of Jefferson at Essex. Then it is cut off at Jefferson by a condominium complex and picks up again at the rear of the condos.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    The Polar Bear shop was definitely long gone before my time; I don't ever remember seeing it even in the 60's which would have been my earliest recollection, when I was old enough to recognize and be aware of places like the fire station and the Progressive School For Little Folks. In my day, the place to go for ice cream was Baskin Robbins at Morang and McKinney, and I guess hamburgers MIGHT have been the Confectionary store at Roxbury and Morang, although I never actually went into that store so I don't even know just what was available there. I also never heard of Archie's - I would have remembered it as I would have associated it mentally with the Archie comic books of which I was a huge fan at the time. I do remember once in the '80s taking my stereo in for repair at Inter City Electronics which was on Whittier and Roxbury, and I also remember a Seven Eleven store being, I believe, between Roxbury and Lakepoint - was that the site of the former Archies?
    Archies was at the southeast corner of Whittier and Roxbury. It was a corner store with the door forty-five degrees to Whittier facing the intersection. Behind the store on Roxbury, were two apartment type places in the same building as the store. One was Archie's apartment and the other was a doctor or dentist's office

We usually went to Hanley's [[Handley's) drug store on the south side of Whittier . If you were going south on Nottingham, you looked right at the store because Nottingham jogged to the east at Whittier. My mother did not really care to go to Crazy Harry's, but she would stop there when i wanted the current month's Baseball Digest [[Hanley's stock of magazines was quite sparse).

Another place we frequented a lot was the Red Arrow Market on the north side of Whittier by the shoe repair place near Somerset. Tony, one of the Italian owners, had served in WWII with the 32nd "Red Arrow" Division [[MI-WI NG). After the war, he and his father, Frank, opened the Red Arrow Market. When she was going to cook ground beef and noodles, my mother would send me up there for two pounds of ground beef and a loaf of bread [[and expect change back from a buck).

OK, I misremembered.

Crazy Harry's [[Archie's) was at the corner of Whittier and Greensboro. The building is now occupied by a "storefront church" according to Google street view.

I don't remember the Red Arrow Market - might not have noticed it or it might have changed names by the time I was old enough to know the area - but as mentioned in a previous post I did go to that shoe place with my mom multiple times.

Hanleys/Handleys obviously must refer to a previous name of what I always knew as Minute Drugs. By the late 80's in the final years before I left the neighborhood, Minute had long been taken over by new owners and the whole building was painted over so that as you drove down Nottingham and approached Whittier you were greeted by a great big giant orange mural advertising "LOTTO TICKETS."

Every time she saw the heels on my shoes wearing out, my mother would tell me to "go to the shoemaker". She would give me the money and I would walk or ride my bike up there. My brother usually needed heels at the same time and would go with me. We would sit in our stocking feet on the metal porch chairs he had along the wall while he did our shoes while we waited. He was also an old Italian guy who spoke with a thick accent like Frank at the Red Arrow Market.

None of the apartment buildings had been constructed along Whittier at the time and the number of commercial buildings was rather sparse between harper and Kelly. Most of it was open fields.

The only bank that I remember was a NBD bank on the north side about a block or two east of Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Every time she saw the heels on my shoes wearing out, my mother would tell me to "go to the shoemaker". She would give me the money and I would walk or ride my bike up there. My brother usually needed heels at the same time and would go with me. We would sit in our stocking feet on the metal porch chairs he had along the wall while he did our shoes while we waited. He was also an old Italian guy who spoke with a thick accent like Frank at the Red Arrow Market.

None of the apartment buildings had been constructed along Whittier at the time and the number of commercial buildings was rather sparse between harper and Kelly. Most of it was open fields.

The only bank that I remember was a NBD bank on the north side about a block or two east of Kelly.
    I think I remember those chairs at the shoemaker's. They were along the left side of the building as you walked in the door...right? [[Let's see how well I remember from when I was 3 or 4 years old).

I don't, however, remember an NBD on Whittier. I remember a Manufacturer's Bank - that later became Comerica - right on the northeast corner of Whittier and Kelly - and nothing but a row of small businesses on the next block over [[between Payton and Riad) - so at least as of my time, definitely no bank of any kind "two blocks east of Kelly."

I had my first passbook account at NBD, but we went to the Cadieux/Harper branch [[I still remember the branch number - 88. And the manager of that branch, William C. Carver. He was there when I got my first credit card in 1982. And my grandparents had a safe deposit box at the Eastland branch, branch 59).

My wife and I married in 1976. We bought our first home - 11711 Riad, between Whittier and Yorkshire - and moved into the place in Novemeber of that year. What a beautiful home it was, too. Three bedroom, all brick colonial. Paid $22,900 for it.

I remember Bonnie-Lo, and the Manufacturers Bank. There was a butcher shop on the corner of Whittier and Payton, Milroy,s too. We used to get carry-out hamburgers at Pat O'Grady's.

There was a Texaco gas station - Meyers' - and an ARCO station - a real hole-in the wall place.

My wife's sister and brother-in law lives on Bonita, and another sister and her husband lived on Craft.

We were married at Assumption Grotto [[she lived on Spring Garden between Celestine and McCrary). Her house isn't there anymore. Sold, abandoned, burned, leveled.

We had our reception at the Loyal Wing Hall, just about where Whittier, Kelly, and Hayes come together. I think the place became a Jehovah's Witness meeting place.

Looking online at churches for sale . . . Guardian Angels is up for sale.

Default LeBistros and Big Bills Salloon

I used to go to a couple of Bars in that area, Im wondering if anybody remembers them, or if they are still open. I always had a good time there, mostly. It was in the late 70's early 80's. The neighborhood was pretty safe back in thoes days. A lot of nice lookng young chicks would frequent them. Barly legal if at that.
    There names are LeBistro's or something like that. It was near Hayes and Kelly.
    And also Big Bill's Salloon on Houston Wittier. Does anybody remember these places, Im yet to see anybody memtion them. I now live Up North in Alpena County.

Det1952: I had mentioned Big Bill's as my Brother was bar tender in there for a few years, back in the early/mid '90's. I spent a "Few" nights in there getting free drinks.

The bar did burn at one time [[late 90's - early 00's), not sure if it reopened after that or not or if the building is even standing anymore, haven't been down that way in many years.

I did also see mention on that link of my all time favorite - the "Chatham Plus" at Van Dyke and Chicago in Warren. At the time I'd never been to a Meijer's or a Walmart Supercenter [[there certainly weren't WalMarts in Michigan, and if Meijers was even around back then it was a place my family just didn't go to) - so when that Chatham Plus opened it was my first experience with a store of that type ever - and I remember thinking how cool it was to have a donut/coffee stand AND a cafeteria AND a garden center AND a clothing store all in the same building with a grocery store.

That WAS a cool store, wasn't it EMG? Remember how you'd press a button under the picture of your food order and it showed up on the other side? Then they also had that turntable with the desserts? That WAS a cool store.

What a great neighborhood that you are all talking about. My grandparents were all there but a little north on Chalmers [[Linnhurst and Fordham respectively). My Great Tontanet [[great aunt) lived over on Promenade. I'm saddened to see what happened to that great neighborhood. Lotsa great memories.

I know none of you frequented this place and only drove by , but does anybody remember the Sand Castle go-go bar ? I think it was on H.W. near the freeway lol

I belive the Sand Castle is called the Cover Girl now.
    It is still a topless bar. LOL!
    The building Big Bills was in is still standing.
    Anyone remember Lttle Louies party store on the same block?

I spent a lot of time in that neighborhood mostly due to my ma's sister lived on Duchess 2-3 houses off Whittier. My aunt stayed there until 1960-61. Her oldest son got married at that L shaped brick church further down Whittier on the south side of the street.

However there were two other big attractions. My folks hated fish, but they loved Milroys. We ate there after church at least once a month. First place I ever ate shrimp, and I haven't stopped since.
    We always got their fish and batter wholesale for our church Fish Fry every year.

Also I was stuck in the back lesson rooms of Grinnel's taking organ lessons for about 5 yrs....hmmm. 1959-65? I spent a lot of time in that store. Wish I spent more, I never should have quit. My life would've been a lot different.

Papes....OMG. My ma liked that place and used to drag me in there.
    But my memory is shot, where was that in relation to Grinnells?

Oh yeah....my grandmas podiatrist was right on Whittier near Hayes too. Another almost gone memory.

Default Houston

A bit out of the neighborhood was the Houston Inn on Houston-Whitteir vry close to the big firehouse. I seemed to recall it being a quiet bar with a pool table and a pretty decent crowd. Anybody ever go there or know if it is still there?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I spent a lot of time in that neighborhood mostly due to my ma's sister lived on Duchess 2-3 houses off Whittier. My aunt stayed there until 1960-61. Her oldest son got married at that L shaped brick church further down Whittier on the south side of the street.

However there were two other big attractions. My folks hated fish, but they loved Milroys. We ate there after church at least once a month. First place I ever ate shrimp, and I haven't stopped since.
    We always got their fish and batter wholesale for our church Fish Fry every year.

Also I was stuck in the back lesson rooms of Grinnel's taking organ lessons for about 5 yrs....hmmm. 1959-65? I spent a lot of time in that store. Wish I spent more, I never should have quit. My life would've been a lot different.

Papes....OMG. My ma liked that place and used to drag me in there.
    But my memory is shot, where was that in relation to Grinnells?

Oh yeah....my grandmas podiatrist was right on Whittier near Hayes too. Another almost gone memory.
    Papes was at Houston and Hayes across from Jones Bros. Ace Hardware.

Was that the big Methodist Church on the south side just east of Dominican High School? My Boy Scout Troop 246 met in their Sunday School. The church sponsored the troop.

Default Ace 'Bugdet" Hardware

<P>The Ace store on the corner of Houston and Whitter had a big sign over it that spelled Budget as "Bugdet."&nbsp; </P>

Does anyone know when and/or why Houston Ave. became Houston-Whittier? As of the late 1920s, it was still Houston Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    My wife and I married in 1976. We bought our first home - 11711 Riad, between Whittier and Yorkshire - and moved into the place in Novemeber of that year. What a beautiful home it was, too. Three bedroom, all brick colonial. Paid $22,900 for it.

I remember Bonnie-Lo, and the Manufacturers Bank. There was a butcher shop on the corner of Whittier and Payton, Milroy,s too. We used to get carry-out hamburgers at Pat O'Grady's.

There was a Texaco gas station - Meyers' - and an ARCO station - a real hole-in the wall place.

My wife's sister and brother-in law lives on Bonita, and another sister and her husband lived on Craft.

We were married at Assumption Grotto [[she lived on Spring Garden between Celestine and McCrary). Her house isn't there anymore. Sold, abandoned, burned, leveled.

We had our reception at the Loyal Wing Hall, just about where Whittier, Kelly, and Hayes come together. I think the place became a Jehovah's Witness meeting place.

Looking online at churches for sale . . . Guardian Angels is up for sale.
    I've got a lot in common with you, though 10 years earlier. Bought our 1st house at 12444 Riad just south of Morang in '67.

Also had our reception at Loyal Wing tho married in '66 at St' Jude.

Was Big John Imbrunonni still running Loyal Wing when you got married? Before that, John owned Tina's Pizza on Harper east of Cadieux. Best pizza & spaghetti ever. I delivered pizzas for him in high school. Great guy!

Buy American Guest

Dr. Jacobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Dr. Jacobs?
    Yes!! I'll be damned.....

Buy American Guest

Yes!! I'll be damned.....
    I went to him for many years myself.....just ran into his old secretary, Margaret, at Meijers not to long ago. He passed away many years ago. Glad to jog your memory.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast