Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

G-DDT... i agree about facebook, have no interest either. imo, it just seems to be a lurking tool and i like my privacy. to time consuming. when my kids were in middle school, i allowed them an account with me having their passwords to monitor it. why they had 300 "friends", i'll never know. friends of friends of friends! now that their college students [[no more monitoring for me), they are not into facebook as much anymore. many of them have a twitter and instagram account.

regarding linkedin, they were encouraged to have one and they both do. i just don't get that either. one will graduate in a year, the other in 3. why the need to have one now, i just don't know. any feedback on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    G-DDT... i agree about facebook, have no interest either. imo, it just seems to be a lurking tool and i like my privacy. to time consuming. when my kids were in middle school, i allowed them an account with me having their passwords to monitor it. why they had 300 "friends", i'll never know. friends of friends of friends! now that their college students [[no more monitoring for me), they are not into facebook as much anymore. many of them have a twitter and instagram account.

regarding linkedin, they were encouraged to have one and they both do. i just don't get that either. one will graduate in a year, the other in 3. why the need to have one now, i just don't know. any feedback on that?
    Sadly, I can't say. The term "corporate tether" was often applied to phones and sites that closely monitored employees and made sure they can contact them at all times, even when folks were well in the rights "off the clock" [[remember the old saying of the housewife asking the husband to "not bring his work home with him"); in fact, if there was one good aspect in that Robin Williams flick RV, it would be that here was a man who didn't know when to "disconnect" and put his work behind him on vacation [[I remember a Subgenius rant where Ivan Stang went on about ads getting folks on the bandwagon about how great it is to have technology that allows you to take your work with you, even when you're on your own freetime).

Some jobs require these dumb social media networks to assess folks in a most 1984 [[yeah, I said it!)-like manner. Like I said about Linkedin, they keep pushing me specifically about when I graduated and my birth year. Sadly, Michigan [[like many states) does not have as good a labor laws protecting employees as some states [[Kentucky is only one of a few states that actually requires employers give employees a ten minute break every four hours, and I always thought that was a standard everywhere-look it up!). Luckily, I took some required Job Readiness Training courses in good ol' edumacated Massachusetts, and the only thing I got out of them was knowing what questions you are not required to answer in certain formats. One is age or a lock on when you graduated, that allows "ageists" to write you off; Massachusetts has laws protecting you from having to answer that question.

I've met a lot of "internet celebrities"-the kind who maintain a phony persona with trappings of things they like and culture they surround themselves with in a most self-aggrandizing sort of way. Yet, if you really see them up close and get to know them, they are not as polished and have some repulsive habits contradictory to what they profess to be. This also falls in line with the Dunning-Kruger effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect, or as Saturday Night Live made fun of on an episode with Daniel Radcliffe, the "You Can Do Anything" mentality of the internet.

It lacks genuine humility, and it is proof that there is another drive that pushes folks past the ones Freud or Darwin speak of, and it's the drive to "justify", "validate" or "redeem" yourself or your existence-even if foolishly in the eyes of others. Christians only seek redemption [[through Christ's sacrifice and resurrection) with God not with others or themselves. Not Christian? Well, consider the lines from one of the Batman movies "It's not who I am underneath... but what I do... that defines me."

Don't have an active FB. I started an anonymous one and heard about the problems others were having, got a few odd contacts from folks I did NOT want 'referenced' to me so I tried to close it. You cannot CLOSE a FB once you start one. You can only make it dormant. Great.

Linkedin likewise, but if you choose to have public one for network and business purposes, you can turn off most notifications like b-days, job anniversaries etc. so you're not bothered or bothering anyone else.

Use a nondescript graphic instead of your personal photo. And I avoid connecting to any LI forums which have any particular political or social slant as I know employers check. Just stick with items related to business, period.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-23-15 at 12:49 AM.

What I find wierd is facebook seems to assign me "friends", I don't know these people. I don't open messages. I just delete and delete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Some people are still glued to the smartphone or tablet even when out with "real people".
    sometimes it seems like most

Hah. Hilarious! So-called 'text' break ups are common too. Who does that? Apparently it's happening alot I hear.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-15 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah. Hilarious! So-called 'text' break ups are common too. Who does that? Apparently it's happening I hear.
    Are we all becoming passive-aggressive techno-weasles who have no sense of responsibility or accountability? There would be more dignity in hiring Christopher Walken to do the breaking-up for you.

Uhhh, yeah. Folks will text that which they'd never say in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah. Hilarious! So-called 'text' break ups are common too. Who does that? Apparently it's happening I hear.
    "Dear Zacha341, I hate to tell you this, but I found someone I really Name:  thumbs up.png
Views: 149
Size:  1.2 KB"........

A dr jn txt 4 u.

Oh the horrors! I've received my first official 'I quit you - dear jane' text......

But if it had to be -- well, then I am at least glad it was from you HT!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-15 at 04:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2